Filling Foods

Hello,

From reading various posts I have learnt that in the Wieght Watchers information packs there is a list of low calorie, filling foods. I can make educated guesses about many foods but was wondering if someone on Weight Watchers wouldn't mind making some suggestions?

Thanks!

Not on WW or anything other diet now come to that :D, but I do always try to have some protein with anything carby.

Doesn't fill me as such, but it does stop me getting hungry so quick. Same with complex carbs, though not quite to effectively.

I always keep some almonds in my pocket for nibbly moments, or times when I'm hungry but it's too early for a proper meal.

Thanks! I am pretty wise to calorie/fillingness ratios but always on the look out for more inspiration and variety. Thanks for your help

cc x

What KD said about protein is true, I think. I'm a sugar fiend and I found myself plateauing because I clung to my daily morning mound of coco pops. I still love coco pops, but I realised that they just didn't fill me beyond that initial sugar hit. So I reluctantly made the jump to protein + carbs in the morning. Now I have a little John West 'Light tuna lunch.' Recently tried their Light Salmon Lunch which is a moroccan flavour concoction with potatoes, veggies, bulgur wheat, harissa sauce, and of course a good portion of salmon. Delicious and only 200 calories for the tub. I follow it with a punnet of some kind of berries to satisfy the old sweet tooth. Seems to keep me filled for longer than the cereal did.

At the start of my weight loss which was really to support my wife we would drink a pint of water each before eating a slimming world meal.

This really helps and now we are both used to normal sized portions we dont feel the need to drink water before a meal, its funny but you do change in how you percieve "FEELING FULL" also chippy chips are sooooooo greasey now ... i like clean fresh tastes and textures.

At the start of my weight loss which was really to support my wife we would drink a pint of water each before eating a slimming world meal.

You know, though lots of people say this, and it could certainly work short term, there is no evidence to support this theory. Doesn't even really work from a physiological viewpoint.

What has been proven to work though, is if that water is blended with the foods and eaten as a soup.

Water, like many other fluids (not milk) passes straight through the stomach and is not recognised as food calories, so strictly speaking, the hunger hormone ghrelin wont register it.

On the other hand, as a soup, the volume of the meal is bigger and will stay in the stomach longer. Ghrelin will then recognise the volume and turn off the hunger signals for a longer period of time than if the water is drunk before or after a meal.

It worked for us, now whether it was in the mind i am not sure? We mostly follow green days as a rule as we are not big meat eaters, this would lead me to believe that we were eating mostly water soluble type foods thus the pint before a meal being quickly absorbed by the food that follows?

Another case if it works for you then fine, if not try something else. I know i can not eat what i used to as in both volume and fatty foods. Its as though your body adjusts to its enviroment in that if there is only crap then it will find a way to survive on that and in time you dont feel sick when you eat it.

Despite SW saying eat as much as you like there seemed to be times when i felt hungry but just couldnt be bothered to eat, this was mostly at night.

I do know one thing with SW on the green days and thats wind ... lots of it!

We mostly follow green days as a rule as we are not big meat eaters, this would lead me to believe that we were eating mostly water soluble type foods thus the pint before a meal being quickly absorbed by the food that follows?

Yes, the foods follow the volumetric system ie low density (high water volume). Most traditional diets such as WW, SW or even plain healthy eating use the idea from the volumetrics diet written some time ago.

I do know one thing with SW on the green days and thats wind ... lots of it!

LOL. I used to get that a lot when I started maintaining and upped my veg.

When I was on SW, i always did the red days. The green days hadn't been invented then. When I went back to it one year, I was gobsmacked at the new 'green' plan. I tried it, but it wasn't for me. I think they've developed it more since I was on it :)

SW latest is mix n match which IMO is just eating normal foods/meals without the crap, i think sometimes we try and over complicate things rather than just keep things simple.

I'm doing the Extra Easy, lean meat, veg and fruit all free, the weight is dropping off and I'm never hungry.

Back