Finally doing it...

WOW - fantastic pics lady, get them in the before / after thread on the sticky... amazing, well done!

Aw thanks Louise24, but I don't want to post them until I feel properly 'after' - still 1 1/2 stones to go!!

oh dear - food binge day today. :rolleyes: All free food, but I still have THE GUILT. Had an early breakfast, then an early lunch....then a late lunch....hmmm. Still got the fish to have for dinner which I have to eat today as it goes off. Maybe it's not too late to stick in the freezer?? The freezer is what got me in trouble today as that's where the burgers live(d).

Tues 26 Oct - RED
a Milk
a
b Bread
b tesco healthy living wholemeal roll
Breakfast: 2 boiled eggs, toast
Lunch: SW burger with chutney
Lunch 2: Pork sausage/ burger in a bun....with chutney
Dinner: Cod and roast courgette, tom, red onion (not had this yet)
Snack: lean ham, large packet of Tesco melon & grape mix, muller light
Syns: none, but we know why

Phew! Will have to be a bit more in control of myself tomorrow!!!!

GOOD news - the fish is alright till the 28th (phew) it's the veg tray (was feeling lazy and they were on special) that is best before today, but they'll be fine tomorrow. No stress to eat more tonight or feel guilty for letting food go to waste - I hate that!

:D

Can't believe I'm this happy about *not* eating....strange

oooh Jamie's 30 min meals is doing a cauliflower and macaroni cheese thing, which i reckon could be adapted easily for a syn free green meal. Am going to write it here before I forget. Looks lovely.

• Boil macaroni and big lumps of cauli in a saucepan. Meanwhile, put pancetta (bacon medallions) [HexB] in a roasting tin and crisp up.
  • Drain pasta and cauli and reserve the water. Bung bacon in a food processor with herbs (rosemary, oregano etc), 2 cloves crushed garlic and bread (use from allowance) [HexB]. He added olive oil, but you can probably get away with a few sprays of fry light. Whiz up into crumbs.
  • Use same roasting dish and dump pasta and cauli into it and mash up cauli into smaller pieces. Add in about a pint of the cooking water, then add grated cheese (42g rf cheddar per person) [HexA] and creme fraiche (natural yoghurt/ fromage frais). Crush in 2 clove garlic and mix around.
  • Cover with breadcrumbs. Maybe a few more sprays fry light on top.
  • Bake in oven.

So that's 2 HexB and 1 HexA for the recipe. I'm sure you could do without the bacon if you didn't want to use up both B's in one meal...

Last edited:
Hehe, as long as it's free then fill up.. love your live(d) comment about the burgers, am on a green day for first time in ageeees today and can't wait for my pasta, yum

Mmmmmm.....pasta. I think I'll make the Jamie macaroni on Thursday, which is my WI day as I can have quorn sausages and beans for brekkie and not use my B there and then have at it for dinner after WI and use both HexBs in one meal! Woo!

Wonder if 100% total or ff fromage frais would be better as a creme fraiche substitute....or quark for that matter.

WI tonight and I got a STS. Bit disappointed as I was hoping to take off the 2lb gain, but I'm going to try and stay positive. Reasons for a STS that I can see are: night out with girls on Fri (calorific cocktails and some popcorn), wine on Sat and wine last night means that I probably went well over my weekly syn allowance. Must try harder - I have another hen weekend coming up (staying overnight on Sat) but will try and be as good as possible and limit the booze. I have already chosen my meal for Sat night (we had to choose from a few limited options) and I've gone for a tuna tomatoey pasta thing as I though I could do EE on Sat and that looked like the best option - rest of the choices were creamy/ cheesy pasta or pizza.

Weds - RED
a Milk
a
b Bread
b
Breakfast: quorn sausage, bacon and tomato toasted sandwich
Snack: Lean ham
Dinner: Beef madras from the curry book
Syns for week: a billion + 60

Thurs - GREEN

a Milk
a 42g rf cheddar
b Bread
b 85g (raw weight) bacon
Breakfast: quorn sausages with pasta shapes
Dinner: Jamie's macaroni and cauliflower cheese bake. (used fromage frais instead of creme fraiche), roasted veg (red onion, courgette, pepper, tomato)
Syns: Curly wurly - 6, 3 celebrations - 6 = 12.

Last edited:
Hmmm...got this month's mag and i'm a bit disappointed. I think I loved last month so much and I was expecting lots of lovely recipes, but nothing is really inspiring me :(

Still - I always have October!

Another green day today because I had a real urge to make some veggie curry things. Found the recipes online and they came out yum and I have 3 more portions in the freezer for another day :)

Have a real urge to eat chocolate today...think I'm due on any minute now (clutching at straws but hopefully that's another contributing factor to the STS this week). Must try and control myself!! Don't normally have a sweet tooth.

Got a hen weekend coming up - heading off tomorrow to Brighton for the night. Part of it is a street dancing class so I'm hoping to burn off some syns! I'd also like to try and go easy on the alcohol....but we'll see how that goes :rolleyes:

Friday - GREEN
a Milk
a
b Bread
b Fibre Plus
Breakfast: 2 boiled eggs on toast
Dinner: Chana Masala, Sag Aloo, Rice
Snack: 3 celebrations, fibre plus, 400g tesco melon and grape mix
Syns: 6
Syns for week: 6

Thanks Louise24! Back from Brighton now and had a great time - really good to catch up with all the girls :) Not brilliant on the food front but I guess not the worst either. Unfortunately when in Brighton, one must eat the fish and chips so lunch on Sat was *slightly* off plan (ahem....) but it wasn't as bad as it could have been - all advances made by battered sausages were firmly rejected! Sat night we did a lot of dancing, which should hopefully counteract some of the boozing. Another week where I'm not entirely sure on syns consumed so I'm assuming I'm way over and being syn free until WI on Thurs. I'm so looking forward to a 'normal' week!!!

Saturday - EE
Breakfast: Turkey rashers, eggs, grilled mushrooms
Lunch: Fish cake, 1/2 portion of chip
Dinner: Tuna and prawn pasta in a tomato sauce
Syns: 1 cocktail, 3 glasses wine with dinner, 2 glasses champagne at the club

Sunday - GREEN
a milk
a parmesan (20g)
b Bread
b
Breakfast: poached eggs, beans, 1 slice wholemeal toast
Lunch: sag aloo roti (??syns in small tortilla thing)
Dinner: mushroom risotto with extra grilled mushrooms
Snack: maybe a fibre plus
Syns: Roti/ wrap thing - ??

Hello minimims. Getting my garden sorted today and tomorrow so I currently have half a patio. Can't wait for it to be all finished tomorrow - looks fab already!! Just eaten my dinner and YUM. Chicken curry I made the other week out of the freezer. If it's possible, it tastes even better!! Just in case anyone reading this wants to try it and doesn't have the SW hardback Curry Feast book, I have copied out the recipe - you have to try it! I'll stick to the actual quantities as shown in the book, but I always double the spices when i make it myself. The only trauma is to make sure that all visible fat has been trimmed off the chicken thighs...it takes a while although is much quicker with scissors than a knife. I've done the recipe with chicken breasts and it tastes nice (i cook it for less time) but the thighs are the best in my opinion :)

Classic Chicken Curry
Serves 4 - free on red (and EE I imagine - if you serve with 1/3 superfree)
  • 1kg/ 2lb 4oz chicken thighs skinless and boneless, cut into chunks
  • S&P
  • fry light
  • 1 onion peeled and chopped
  • 2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
  • 2 tsp crushed garlic
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp ground coriander
  • 1/2 tsp crushed cardamom seeds (i stick in 4 -5 whole)
  • 1/4 tsp ground cloves
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 tbsp medium curry powder
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1/4 tsp tumeric
  • 400g chopped tomatoes
  • 300ml chicken stock
  • 1/4 tsp sweetener
to serve
  • chopped coriander
  • sliced green chilli
1. Season chicken with S&P
2. fry onions in fry light until starting to brown (5-6 mins)
3. stir in ginger, garlic, cumin, coriander, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, curry powder, paprika and tumeric and stir-fry over a high heat for 1-2 mins
4. add chicken and cook until sealed
5. add tomatoes, sweetener and stock and bring to the boil
6. the book says to cover, reduce to a summer and cook for 40 - 45 mins. I bung it in the oven and leave for about an hour
7. add chopped coriander and chilli on top of individual portions to serve.

Monday - RED
a Milk
a 5 laughing cow light
b Bread
b 4 ryvita
Breakfast: toasted quorn sausage sandwich
Lunch: 4 ryvita topped with laughing cow and smoked salmon
Dinner: chicken curry and heaps of carrot, cauli and broc
Snack: pack of lean ham
Syns: 0 (on account of last weekend!)

Patio all finished today - they were done at 3pm so that's not quite 2 days. Brilliant job and I'm really looking forward to getting friends round to use it!

Was feeling all wintery today so made stew, which I've just eaten and it was delicious (if I do say so myself!). I've written the recipe here to remind myself as every time I do it, I seem to do it different and I really liked this version :) I made HEAPS so that it can live in the freezer for when I need a quick satisfying dinner, but you could use half the ingredients if you don't have a big casserole dish. It's free on red and chock full of veggies. I cheated and used 2 bags of prepared swede and carrot from waitrose, then added 2 more carrots. I decided to experiment with adding in marmite and I think it really worked - you can't taste the marmite distinctly, but it adds a real depth to the flavour. I put 3 tsp in.

Beef Stew
  • Beef - 1kg
  • 2 - 3 onions
  • 2 - 3 sticks of celery
  • 2 - 4 green peppers
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 3 bay leaves
  • fresh thyme
  • fresh rosemary
  • carrot
  • swede
  • 2 - 3 tsp marmite
  • small tin (200g) chopped tomatoes
  • beef stock (I used 1 knorr floppy and 1/2 an oxo)
  • water
  • splash of balsamic vinegar
  • 1/2 - 1 tsp sweetener
  • S&P

1. brown beef in batches, then remove from casserole dish
2. whizz up onion and celery in food processor, crush garlic then fry all using fry light in casserole until softened
3. add carrot and swede and fry for a while
4. add beef and green pepper
5. add tomatoes, beef stock, splash of balsamic and enough water to just come up to the line of the veg/meat...or a bit less
6. add in chopped herbs, marmite, sweetener and season
7. bung in oven at a low heat (mine was at 140) for 2 - 3 hours
8. if you think sauce is too thin you can simmer on the hob for a bit to reduce. I found mine was ok as I normally add less water to start and look at it every 45 mins or so and add water if I think it needs it

Now - back to what I've eaten today. I still have my HexA and B left, which I was planning to use on a cheeky bit of cheese and toast later, but i'm stuffed now! I'll see how late I stay up, but I think my B might go on a Fibre Plus and I'm not sure I'll get the A in....maybe I'll just drink lots of tea and use it in that ;)
Tuesday - RED
a Milk
a
b Bread
b
Breakfast: 2 quorn sausage, bacon and tomato sandwich
Lunch: Fresh tuna, griddled served with massive salad and dressing (100% total, lime juice, coriander and some chilli flakes)
Dinner: Stew (yum)
Snack: apple
Syns: 0

Last edited:
WI this evening and I'm not looking forward to it...feel like I'm stuck in a bit of a rut. I'd love to see a loss on the scales, but I'm not feeling confident. Still, I tried on the dress I bought for the wedding next weekend and it still fits so that's something!

Bit stressed as I seem to have one occasion every week that has the possibility to derail me and my sense of control is out the window. This weekend it's my joint b'day party with a friend (although I'm planning to bring some cous cous salad to eat instead of the food we're buying for everyone), next weekend is a wedding in Aberdeen, next weekend is my best friend's b'day, following weekend is a big meet up that we do once a year, following weekend is a housewarming. I feel like I'll be in a constant binge and then make up for it pattern and so won't lose any weight between now and Christmas....or - even worse - gain weight. I need to have strategies mapped out...the key will be to stick to non alcoholic drinks so that I can make good decisions wherever I am. :(

Anyway....self pitying moan over. Yesterday's food:

Weds - RED
a Milk
a 5 laughing cow light
b Bread
b 4 ryvita
Breakfast: scrambled egg and smoked salmon
Lunch: 4 ryvita topped with cream cheese, cucumber and tomato. Slices of roast turkey
Dinner: Leftover stew (yum)
Snack: Muller light, apple, 1 celebration (dammit)
Syns: 2 + a billion from last weekend's hen

woop de doop - I lost 3lbs at WI!! That means I've cancelled the 2lb gain and lost an extra pound :D PLUS my long overdue * has come AND I got a call saying I should expect a job offer letter in the post tomorrow. All round a ruddy good day. Was not expecting that loss but I'm really pleased - was feeling like a right blubber after gaining weight the other week. For some reason it seemed to cancel out all my good work and the losses and I felt right back where I started....psychology, eh?

Thursday - EE
Breakfast/Lunch: Bacon, fried egg, 5 massive mushrooms grilled with a bit of marmite
Dinner: Heaps of spag bol, packed with onion, celery, carrot and 5 courgettes. Yum

Had a joint birthday party with my friend last night, complete with crashing on her sofa for the night. Feel like I've returned to my school days! We had an 80s theme - lots of sugary snacks, fancy dress and brilliant tunes. I have a sneaky suspicion that the booze and (not too many, thankfully) slips on the eating mean that I'll be syn free until Thursday. I'm going to miss WI this week as I am flying to a friend's wedding in Scotland Thursday morning, but I'm still focused. Must try and reign it in as I don't want to eradicate that 3lb loss from last WI on Thursday. Still...it was my birthday party! I have a couple of friends coming to dinner tomorrow (my actual birthday) and I'm cooking SW chicken curry and will be serving but not drinking wine. My best birthday present will be to keep up the good work with SW :)

Just need to keep myself in check up in Scotland and dance a LOT.

Friday - Green
a Milk
a 42g rf cheddar
b Bread
b 2 alpen light
Breakfast: Quorn sausage, baked beans
Lunch: reduced fat supernoodles
Dinner: quorn and bean chilli and rice
Snack: cheese on toast, melon pieces, muller light

Sat - Green
a Milk
a some cheese
b 57g wholemeal roll
b Bread
Breakfast: beans on toast
Lunch: 2 quorn burgers in a bun, onion chutney
Dinner: cous cous with roasted veg
Syns: some 80s sweets: 3 chocolate mice, some sherbert, some popping candy some roasted peanuts, 3 monster munch pieces, 3 bites of french bread pizza, cider, vodka, 2 glasses wine....for a total syns score of ???? Yet again I'm way over (I guess) so will be syn free from here on

Sun - Green
a Milk
a 42g rf cheddar
b Bread
b Fibre plus
Breakfast: cheese on toast
Lunch: 3 quorn sausages and beans
Dinner: fried rice (egg, spring onion, peas)
Snack: 3 portobello mushrooms grilled with marmite, melon pieces

Thanks for the birthday wishes :D I had a couple of friends round last night and cooked SW friendly meal but drank wine and ate 3 mini indian starters that i had bought for the others, but i ate in a moment of weakness. Still - birthday for this year is over now and i can draw a line under it. Off to the wedding in Scotland on Thursday - Sunday and then hopefully i can have a bit of time to focus. I really want to get going on the weight loss again and get my stone off for Christmas. Currently 5 lb off, but I imagine I'll have a gain after all this galavanting that I'll need to make up for. Next event is 29th Nov (if I go) or 4th Dec. The weeks of madness are finally drawing to an end.

Mon - EE (My birthday)
a Milk
b Bread
Breakfast: 3 quorn sausage and tomato sandwich
Lunch: busy running, so just some lean ham
Dinner: chicken curry and brown basmati rice
Syns: 25.5 + mini indian starters??

Tues - RED
a Milk
a 42g cathedral city lighter
b Bread
b Bread
Breakfast: 2 fried eggs on toast, 3 quorn sausages
Lunch: Savoury Mince from the freezer
Dinner: Left over chicken curry
Snack: slices of roast chicken, muller light, grapes, strawberries, blackcurrants, blueberries, cheese on toast

Last edited:
Back