First month of SS+ complete and weight loss

VLR

Hi everyone, nice to meet you all!

I started the Cambridge (SS+) diet on the 4/4/13 at 13 stone 2 lbs. As of today I am 12 stone. In total I lost 15 lbs in 4 weeks (and one extra since Thursday). I am so happy about this :D - but 7 lbs was in the first week, making the last 3 weeks a loss of 2.2, 3.8 and 2 lbs respectively.

Having lost only another 1 lb in 3 days, is it likely that I am ever going to average out at a stone a month again? I should add that I have a chicken/quorn salad for one meal at least 2 days a week because of my schedule, is this likely to affect my weight loss (as the meal is under 200kcal as stipulated in SS+). Am I likely to increase my losses by going down to SS?

*breathe* and one last thing. It's my birthday Sunday! My parents are throwing a birthday tea on Saturday and I was always assuming I'd take the day off. Is it likely I will still lose that week if I do so? strongly considering trying to plough on through with the diet whilst surrounded by others stuffing their faces but I *know* I'll get told off for doing so. :p

Congratulations on the loss, well done. The first time I did CD I lost 6 stone in 6 months doing 5 SS and 2 SS+ so it an be done. With regards to your Birthday my philopsophy has always been to have the 'very rare' special occasions off the diet, but doing low carb. I find I may put on a pound overnight but I lose it by the next day. YOu will probably still lose over the week, but lose 2 days of weight loss. Some people disagree with this approach and it does depend on the individual, I think it is important to retain a social life and it is practice for when you have to deal with food in everyday life at the end of the diet. Restrict what food you do have (do not let one meal descend into a weekend of pizza and cake) and get straight back onto it. Also only use this for very special planned breaks, if they start sneaking in once a week you are on a slippery slope.

Wow - well done on your losses so far - you have done really well. And so close to goal as well. My advice for your birthday would be stick to plan - but thats only because it has set me back months every time I have deviated(because I simply can't get back on plan). I have to be 100% or I can't seem to do it. But there are plenty of people on here who will tell you to enjoy the day and get straight back on plan the next day - and they seem to be able to.

I don't think your losses will go up by dropping to SS - It could be that you actually need to go up a plan - CD does say SS and SS+ are only suitable for those with a BMI of 25 plus a stone, which would be about 12 stone 6. And your losses will probably get less as you get closer to your goal.

No, you will not hit a stone a month because your bmi is 26 and you only want to lose another 21lb. In fact you need to move up to step 2 now, and should do when you hit bmi 25+1stone. This is to protect your lean muscle.

Thanks for the replies everyone! my Cambridge adviser didn't mention that I would have to go up a plan. My BMI is 25.6 right now. My actual goal is 9 and a half stone and I'm still pretty overweight (small framed) but my adviser told me to do it until my bmi is 22.5 (in the middle of the normal range, ish)

I have just seen a lot of people on here doing SS despite being closer to their goal than me so I'm a bit confused now. I'll try and stick to the diet over my birthday but I may have a slice of cake. I've suddenly dropped 3 lbs since yesterday, so that makes it 4 lbs this week and my WI isn't until Thursday so I'm happy about that. :)

See I thought the 25+ 1stone was just guidance for if you can start on that step? Not for coming off of it if that makes sense?

I've just hit BMI 25, and my CWPC is fully aware of my plan to SS for another 5 weeks until target, I did ask when I should step up and he said it is personal choice. I will be going through the steps after target as I wouldn't mind being 9st (target 9.5) so I'd have a little buffer there should I need it if I still lose whilst going through them.

Ah. I've never seen that before. I looked at step 2 and it looks like I am technically doing it most of the time (and have done so from the start) minus the milk as well. I either have 4 CWP and 200ml skimmed milk or I have 3 CWP and a protein meal with vegetables, which I do at least half the week.

Hmm, I'm very confused now! It seems like so many stick with SS until much closer to target than me.

There are really good reasons for not doing ss or ss+ when you are within a stone of a healthy bmi and that is to protect your muscles- there are (old) horror stories of the body burning lean muscle tissue (including heart musle) when on vlcd when there is not enough fat to burn. Not saying it would happen to everyone but just like the obligatory step up after 12 weeks on ss , and not onto ss if bmi over 40- the rules are there to protect everyone

At the end of the day it boils down to personal choice whether you follow the advice/ guidelines, and i have no problem with that as i make my own choices too- however i do have a real issue with cdcs who give their clients incorrect and potentially very dangerous advice- they should be reported. The vlcd industry is very closesly monitored and new rules/ guidance issued whenever potential risks are identified. the consultants really should give the proper advice and reasons - if we choose to ignore it then fine but they really should be professional enough to want to ensure their clients are aware of the rules and the reasons behind them so we can make an informed decision about our own health and the potential risks.

sorry rant over

good that the extra lbs have dropped off !

Back