Fish!

bubbalicious

Silver Member
I hate the tinned mackerel (yuk) so want to try the fresh mackerel.

What one do you buy?? Which is the best etc...

ALSO... ANY OTHER FISHY BARGAINS THAT YOU FIND PLEASE POST!! (SEE THREAD BELOW BY PESTY)

Last edited:
Fishy Bargains!

Hello,

Further to the 'my fishy week' thread which has seemed to work so well for some of you. I was wondering if on your shops you would mind keeping an eye out for some fishy bargains and letting us know what you find! Fish can be awfully expensive, but the losses seem to good to not give it a go!!

So far i have found;

Sainsburys 4 tins of Princes Tune Half Price

ASDA whole sea bass (fish counter) Half Price - £1.80 per fish

xx

Good idea! I will keep my eys peeled!

I tried to get the Sea Bass from Asda yesterday but suprise suprise they sold out.... DOH!!

Aldi have some Frozen Tuna Steaks which are very nice. About £3.80 and you get 5-6 steaks.

I went to Morrison's the other morning & attacked the reduced to clear section of fish!!

Came away with rainbow trout, haddock, cod, as well as salmon kebabs & didn't pay much at all compaired to what i would have paid full price!

I am sure the tuna (tinned) was half price for 4 pack too :)

The only fresh mackerel I've eaten is some my OH caught on a fishing trip, but I suppose it's no different from buying fresh mackerel from a supermarket or your local fishmongers.

I stuffed it with garlic, herbs and a squeeze of lemon juice, wrapped in foil and baked it in the oven, and served with some steamed veg and SW chips. Lovely!

Not exactly fresh, but I like the sweet cured mackerel fillets from Tesco.

Wow, thanks guys this is a brilliant response! Keep em coming!!

That's a really good idea about the reduced section - i never thought to look there. I might go and have a look later whilst im in ASDA. Who knows i may be able to start my fishy week before payday!! :) xx

Wow, thanks guys this is a brilliant response! Keep em coming!!

That's a really good idea about the reduced section - i never thought to look there. I might go and have a look later whilst im in ASDA. Who knows i may be able to start my fishy week before payday!! :) xx

Yeah I was pretty impressed - Just came home & bunged it all in the freezer - so just going to lift something out each night.

I also get mixed seafood (mussles, cockles & squid etc) from the frozen section, can't remember the price about £2.50ish & it makes a yummy sea food stirfry :D

ALL AT ASDA

King prawns (fresh)

3 FOR £10
  • Valid until 31/12/2010
  • (280g)
  • £4 each
Smoked mackerel (fresh)

2 FOR £5
  • Valid until 31/12/2010
  • £2.78 each
  • (350g)
Smoked salmon (fresh)

2 FOR £5
  • Valid until 31/12/2010
  • £2.98 each
  • (140g)
Cod portion

• 2 FOR £4
  • Valid until 31/12/2010
  • £2.28 each
  • 180g
2 for £4 is also on Cod, Haddock, Smoked Haddock, Salmon portion!!

What a good idea Pesty, will add to this and keep a check each day. Have my meals planned for the week and really excited about the wi next monday, only thing is i'm out on saturday eve, so need to try and order grilled fish with veggies if I can or it'll be steak, so hope that don't break it :( xx

I got a load of my fish from farmfoods last week, so frozen, the packs of smoked haddock skinless and boneless are just 2.95 there were 5 pieces in the pack the cod was the same price too. Salmon was a bit more at 3.95 for 4 pieces. Think i need to try some other fish tho had some sea bass a while ago but it wasnt filleted and the bones put me off may try asda and see if I can get it filletted :)

I bought 2 trays of prawns (4 portions) in a chilli sauce and rainbow trout (2 large fillets) for 7 euro in M&S yesterday. I'd say they're doing those 2 for a fiver deals over there too, get in there of a morning and you always get good bargains. :D

Smoked salmon trimmings are always a bargain. Before it became part of Co-op my local Somerfield (which I cannot get out of the habit of calling Gateway - and before that struggled to remember it wasnt the International LOL!) used to do a pack of trimmings for 99p. There was a good amount in them too, plenty for a stirfry etc.

Fresh mackerel must be really fresh. It should look very shiny and almost alive, if you know what I mean.

I once had my sister and mother in hysterics in a supermarket when I said "I'm not buying that mackerel, it looks dead" - but I knew what I meant!!

It is not a difficult fish to fillet yourself, with a steady hand and a sharp knife, but if you haven't done it before get the fishmonger to do it and watch carefully!

One traditional accompaniment is a gooseberry sauce - made as you would apple sauce for pork. I used to make a stuffing with little cubes of wholemeal bread, gooseberries, lemon juice and butter - but that was back then of course!!

You can also bake them whole (gutted, of course) and then eat them off the bone, but that makes for a very untidy plate!

Back