Flexisynning

Im out tonight for a curry. I try and stick to 15 syns a day and am always under / between 5-15. I try and count each day as 15 and not carry them over. I read my book - decided what to have - in order to stay under 15 and planned in i could also have a few drinks and still stay under 15! However, since i have been under all week (worked out that if you could have 105 a week - i still have 66.5 going free) would it be ok... does anybody think, if i used a few more than 15 at all? Would this be allowed, or should i stick to my 15 if possible? Because it is doable...! I hope!
x

So i texted my consultant and she said it was fiiiine to use my free syns that i hadnt used in the week - phew! Even with a chicken tandoori (9 syns) and a hell of a lot of vodka, i didnt go over! :party0011:

Thanks for this, am new and thought my planned wine on sat night at 24 syns and then deducting them from the weeks allowance was flexi syning and therefore could be done every week! Not quite the same thing! Now understand what I have done is syn save over the week. Flexi is not about weekly treats over the daily allowance but proper one off occasions.....thanks for this as has made me think twice about making this a regular weekly event as would probably get a month down the line and wonder why SW doesn't work!!

If I have syns left over from the week, I will treat myself on a Saturday and use them. I have consistently lost weight each week and until it becomes a problem, I will continue!

I think it is best to just judge what is best for you

Is it bad to not use your syns up and use quite a few on one night? Is this flex-synning? Should this be kept to a minimum and instead use the syns and not save them?

There are some days where you just need this!
Good job you can actually do it and it still doesn't affect the SW diet!

Ive found this thread very useful in deed!
And has made me realise I need to start planning more the syns that I will need for those times when we have special occassions.
For example, last week valentines day... I thought I'll just not use many syns for the other 6 days in the week and have what I want on valentines day... this went dreadfully wrong and ended up in me having too many alcoholic beverages and too many chocolates along with a meal out.
This week... I'm having a house warming, I'll work out a budget to fit in a few alcoholic drinks, but so that I have to control what I am eating, as it is my house warming, I'm in charge of the food making it much easier!!!!
How much would people usually budget for a few drinks?? I usually drink wine, but I have bought myself some gin and slimline tonic as this seemed lower in syns and I thought I could make it last longer.

Very often on the forums I see someone respond to someone who has had a blow out with something like the following...

"Ah, never mind, just flexisyn it and move on".

Now, I understand that this is supposed to make the person feel better about their binge and draw a line under it, but simply, this is NOT how Flexisynning is supposed to be used.

Flexisyns are supposed to be a way of keeping you in control of your consumption at special occasions.

They are NOT designed to be an used as an excuse to write off a bad day. If you are going to flexisyn, this needs to be planned in advance of the event or occasion and you should set yourself a maximum number of syns for that day that you will not exceed. If you get to that amount of syns, you are then supposed to switch back to free and superfree for the rest of the day.

Using flexisyns as an afterthought completely defeats the object of putting YOU in control of the plan.

It is perfectly ok to say "Ah, you had a blow out, it happens to all of us, draw a line under it and move on." It DOES happen to all of us. We do lose control from time to time, whether that be because we drank too much and thought "Ah, stuff it, tomorrow is another day, I'll order that pizza, and being as I'm out of control, may as well have the tub of ice-cream too" or because we have talked ourselves into it, convincing ourselves that it really wont matter as a one-off. Perhaps we are feeling really down and only chocolate will do, by the cupboardload.

But by default, when we head down that road, we are out of control, we lose the ability to say no to the stuff we know is not on plan.

Most importantly, there is no shame in doing so. If we feel guilty about this one-off blow out, we are far more likely to eat more rubbish through guilt and "Well, I have blown it now, I am such a loser, may as well reinforce that message by continuing to eat nonsense". This is where I suspect most of us following the plan can really lose heart and fall off plan for weeks or months.

It doesnt have to be that way, of course, we can have a blow out, a day off plan, and still have the control to get back on plan right next day. And that means, ultimately, that while we did stop off at a scenic point on route, we are still in control and heading towards our destination despite the stop.

So please, STOP suggesting that people flexisyn a blow out. They are two entirely different things and people need to start taking responsibility for their own consumption, rather than just passing it off because it doesnt matter. Of course it matters, but by passing the responsibility for the lack of self-control onto a "flexisyn" day defeats the purpose of a flexisyn day, which IS designed to keep you in control.

Be honest, if you had a blow out, say so. If someone you know had a blow out, acknowledge it, encourage them to move past it, but dont encourage them to write it off using a part of the plan that it simply doesnt apply to.

/gets off soapbox.

excellent post. thankfully i haven't had to flexisyn, but i will certainly bear this in mind if the need arises

Good post.

This sticky has been excellent for me to understand flexisyns better, I too have been guilty of 'flexi-ing' and unplanned lard fest!:party0051:

However, I there is one thing I am still not 100% sure of. I deduct my syns weekly (it fits into my life better and doesn't negatively effect my losses), I don't often use flexi syns cos i'm a social loser :boohoo:. What I want to know is, if I allocate, say 50 syns, for a flexi meal, do you have to deduct this amount from your total maximum weekly allowance?

For example, I always use my 105 syns a week, so if I had used 55 half way during the week, and allowed 50 flexi syns for a mid-week meal, does this mean I can't have anymore syns for the rest of my slimming week? Or can I still use the 50 I have left?

Hope that makes sense! I once asked my consultant that very question, she just said 'yes' but I wasn't sure to which quesiton that was for, hehe! As I was new at the time I felt a bit embarrased to ask again.

I'm not sure I understand this concept properly ?

to check..

if I want to lose weight at a steady rate I can have my 15 syns per day

if I am going to an occasion or party where I am likely to go over 15 I set myself a limit on syns for that day for example 40 syns
but I stick to the 15 the other days ?

if I had an accidental bad day and went over my syns I would normally pull back a bit on the following days , is this correct or not ? Confused.com

This sticky has been excellent for me to understand flexisyns better, I too have been guilty of 'flexi-ing' and unplanned lard fest!:party0051:

However, I there is one thing I am still not 100% sure of. I deduct my syns weekly (it fits into my life better and doesn't negatively effect my losses), I don't often use flexi syns cos i'm a social loser :boohoo:. What I want to know is, if I allocate, say 50 syns, for a flexi meal, do you have to deduct this amount from your total maximum weekly allowance?

For example, I always use my 105 syns a week, so if I had used 55 half way during the week, and allowed 50 flexi syns for a mid-week meal, does this mean I can't have anymore syns for the rest of my slimming week? Or can I still use the 50 I have left?

Hope that makes sense! I once asked my consultant that very question, she just said 'yes' but I wasn't sure to which quesiton that was for, hehe! As I was new at the time I felt a bit embarrased to ask again.
I'm confused too , I might text my group leader to see what her reply is ? It's all conflicting info x

People are getting confused between 2 different concepts.

1) counting your syns weekly.
This means rather than taking 10 syns per day, you use 70 syns per week, so you can use 50 syns in one day if you want and still have 20 syns to coer the rest of the week.

2) Flexisynning
This means you have a day/night when you know you will go off plan, you then give yourself an extra allowance and work your way through this, this does not affect your daily/weekly syns. And assuming this is an occasional event and you're otherwise on taget it shouldn't have a big effect on your weight-loss.

People are getting confused between 2 different concepts.

1) counting your syns weekly.
This means rather than taking 10 syns per day, you use 70 syns per week, so you can use 50 syns in one day if you want and still have 20 syns to coer the rest of the week.

2) Flexisynning
This means you have a day/night when you know you will go off plan, you then give yourself an extra allowance and work your way through this, this does not affect your daily/weekly syns. And assuming this is an occasional event and you're otherwise on taget it shouldn't have a big effect on your weight-loss.

Ok so it's just a way of having a controlled fun night and you just stick to normal syns all the other days, that makes sense now thanks x

That's how I understand it Silvermoon, but I'm only doing it a few weeks, will be interested to hear others replies!

So if say I allow a syn allowance of 50 syns on a flexi-day, I am still allowed the 5-15 syns a day for the other days?

So if say I allow a syn allowance of 50 syns on a flexi-day, I am still allowed the 5-15 syns a day for the other days?

That is my understanding of it. I think the theory is that you are able to set yourself a limit for a special occasion & be able to stay within that limit, hence staying in control but not depriving yourself of syns the rest of the week x

Back