Flexisynning

I haven't told anyone I'm trying to lose weight either -I don't know what it is, but I feel really uncomfortable about other people knowing. :confused:
I think it's because I don't want a running commentary on what I'm putting in my mouth from them! Good Luck Kikaroo!

I think that's mostly my reason too - don't want them sitting there thinking 'I thought she was trying to lose weight, so why is she eating a kitkat?' Lol

good luck to you too!!

so am i right in thinking i can use syns weekly? Im doing the plan at home and am happy to eat free and superfree throughout the week, then have a bottle of wine at the end of the week - therefore using less syns than i would if i used them everyday (thats just how my brain works!) is this ok?
also - are parsnips superfree?

That's fine your SYNS are there really to use in any way you want. And no parsnips are free not Superfree x

You can use your syns weekly depending on your body. Some people can't lose weight that way. I personally can have 105 on one day and still lose weight where as others can't

thanks guys - i just dunno whats going on - ive been on slimming world for 4 weeks, lost 7lb in the first week but NOTHING since then! i do free days every day and have a bottle of wine at the end of the week - 30 syns, so thats LESS than the minimum 5 syns a day! what-the-hell?!

You aren't using your SYNS. You need to really be using more like 105 a week than only 30, that's probably what's going on. Up your SYNS so you have like 5-10 per day and then your 30 on the wine too, it'll help! When you start you often don't want your SYNS but honestly the longer you do the plan the more you realise holding out and not having them really doesn't help u! X

i guess its just that i feel naughty eating them! i did a really-bad-for-you diet a few years back and lost 3st in 5 months(!) i guess i just thought not eating them would help me loose - but i will take your advice and do a week of syns - ahhhhhh!!! thanks for answering and so quick - ive been feeling really down and on the verge of giving up - ive posted a few times on here but no one gave me any straight answers, just that i MUST be doing something wrong!

HELP! I have posted this on another thread, just because the syns i want to find out about are a bit obscure, so sorry if im repeating myself to anyone! So i took the syns advice and went to ikea! I tried to keep syn intake low(ish!) but really dont know how many i ate - anyone want to take a guesstimate?!

Ikea prawn and egg open sandwich and chicken peshwari with rice! ahhhhhhhh!!!

I'm unexpectedly going to go slightly over my daily allowance for today, but it's by no means a 'binge'. I think I'll have no syns tomorrow to make up for it, but I don't really mind.

I hope I still have a loss on Tuesday :\

EDIT: Oh, you can use syns weekly? That's ok then :)

Fab thread!!! Think I am going to try weekly syns this week....fingers crossed it works for me!

Great thread! Totally agree with MLM but also strongly believe it's about finding what works for you. I've had q a few weeks where I've gained over the 9+ months I've been doing SW but I always know why that is and that, for me, is the key :)

I couldn't hack weekly syns, I have the most awful sweet tooth, and would easily plough through about 200 syns in an hour of eating sweets if I was let!

I would end up using them all in the first day and suffering miserably through the week, probably end up falling off the wagon as a result! (but thats just me!)

However, I'm going out for a meal tomorrow for our anniversairy, and I want to make it a flexi-syn day (since I know about it in advance) but I'm having trouble deciding on the syn amount? I have the menu (A La Carte) but I dont know for sure how everything is made, so naturally not everything has a known syn value. I don't want to pick a number and then find out that I'll have to scrimp on a course because I underestimated the day entirely :(
I've already decided that if I get soup, I'll skip the roll, and to ask if my potatoes and veg can be without butter or milk if possible, and that if my meat comes with a sauce, can I have it as a dip (so my OH can use it, and I can have syn free meat), but I'm concerned that I wont know how to syn soup if there is cream or milk in it, or if the meat was cooked in it with fat etc...

Ah, I totally misunderstood flexisynning - I thought you adjusted the other days in that week to allow for an occasion - which would mean I could then do it retro-actively if something arose. I think I'd rather go that way than flexi-syn anyway!​

Hi, well am new to SW (24th May)and this forum(about a week later) I've seen flexi syns mentioned but had no idea what they were, the same as Smart Syns.....don't know about those either. I thought SYNS were SINS, things we weren't allowed to have!:eek: At the moment, my head is in the right place and I'm sticking to plan, except for Thursday evenings when I go out. We have a small "buffet" at the end of the evening, never know what's coming, but I've looked at the food, and apart from a couple of small sandwiches, I haven't really joined in, but I DO have a pint of lager and lime, and checked on that the first week I went. I have less than no willpower, when it comes to chocolate, crisps or nuts, so I don't buy them.....I can't have 1 little square of choc, or 15 peanuts, because if I get the taste then I know I'll want more. I make sure I have enough syns to cover my Thursday nights.......but as I said I'm new to the whole thing, and quite obsessed ATM.. Ive got a lot of weight to lose, and I don't want to jeopardise myself by putting temptation in the way, but I KNOW there will be times when I might//will fall off the wagon. I've just had a STS week, even on plan, and have to admit to being a little disheartened to start with, but then reading the forum I saw I wasn't the only one, people had stuck to plan, STS or even gained a little.
Posts like this make Newbies like me more aware of what we can and cannot do, what this and that means, and yes I agree, it should be a sticky, and thank you for putting me wise BEFORE I used the flexysyn term :) XX

I don't have many syns in a day at all, certainly under 5, as I save mine for a bottle of wine on a Friday night.

I don't need or want them though, it's not that I'm going without and feeling hungry.

I sat last night and had a kitkat, my 2nd bit of chocolate in 4 weeks, and afterwards I felt really guilty, not because it was chocolate, but because I ate it when I wasn't hungry.

I was well within my syn allowance for it anyway, so God knows why I felt like that.

I did the same when I had the other chocolate bar and that was only a Curly Wurly! x

I don't have many syns in a day at all, certainly under 5, as I save mine for a bottle of wine on a Friday night.

I don't need or want them though, it's not that I'm going without and feeling hungry.

I sat last night and had a kitkat, my 2nd bit of chocolate in 4 weeks, and afterwards I felt really guilty, not because it was chocolate, but because I ate it when I wasn't hungry.

I was well within my syn allowance for it anyway, so God knows why I felt like that.

I did the same when I had the other chocolate bar and that was only a Curly Wurly! x

This isn't flexible syns tho-what you're doing is saving syns, which is a different concept-and often confused with flexi :)

Thanks for that post. I was thoroughly confused by flexi-syns, and that helped clear it up. I tend to use my syns weekly, though, so I suppose I 'syn-save', as opposed to flexi-syn. If I was going out for a friends birthday or something, then I'd flexi-syn, but as it is, I know my dad's dinners are always going to be high in syns, so I save up for them instead - makes more sense, since I get them virtually every night.

Back