Florida

And I'm baaack! Had a fab time, gained 5lbs though...oopsy! Losing weight has obv given me confidence that I just didn't have before as I participated in 3 shows whilst I was there

Hollywood studios- Indiana jones- I was an extra and had to jump around and do silly poses and show various emotions.

Hollywood studios- backlot tour- my mum, sister and I were the 'cast' of the film and we ended up gettin completely soaked! Again we had to do some 'acting'.

Universal studios-fear factor- this ones my fave one! There were 6 of us competing (20 auditioned), obviously I lost in the first round but it was great fun! The 6 of us were suspended 40ft in the air and had to hold on to angled bars above our heads. The platform we were standing on was lowered away and we had to hold our own weight! I obviously need to do some pull ups haha!

Anyways I never would have volunteered/ auditioned for any of these things before, especially as they take place infront of such a large audience so I'm really pleased with myself in that aspect...even if I did come home with those 5 extra pounds!

I read what you wrote this morning, but didn't have time to comment. It does sound amazing what you've done. I'm also interested in the food, where did you eat? 5lbs really isn't that much, some of it could be water retention, the rest I'm sure will come off in no time.

It's also nice to here people saying how much losing weight has boosted their confidence, this will be especially important for those just on the begining of their weight loss journey.

Hey :)
Food wise, I was no angel though I know I used to be a LOT worse!

Breakfast
I would have either had cornflakes or wholemeal toast everyday.

Lunch
I brought my own lunches to the parks with me, usually a pasta salad but on a couple of days I had a WHITE BREAD roll! I'm such a rebel!

Dinner...this is where caution was thrown to the wind completely lol!

I usually had pasta dishes, and because of that I can't remember the damn names of them because of them being blooming Italian!

We ate in Houlihans (I had some chicken pasta dish that tasted like pizza...it was to DIE for), Golden Corral, Pacino's (opposite Old town on the 192), The Rose and Crown (Epcot), Texas Roadhouse (US27, it had the best potato skins EVER), Giordanno's (again on the 192...if by any chance you order the breaded mushrooms as a starter get it to share between about 4...they literally gave me 28 mushrooms...no wonder America is in the shape it's in), Applebees, the Olive Garden and then we had subway and food from the hot counter in walmart on other nights.

I'm aware you guys probably didn't want to know where I ate EVERY night but there you have it haha!

Also to anyone who hasn't yet booked their flight, under NO circumstances book with United. They are without a shadow of a doubt the WORST airline I have ever flown with in my life. I'm completely disgusted with their customer service and blatant lack of regard for people's time and money.

Our first flight from Belfast to Newark was delayed, meaning we missed our connecting flight. No big issue as we'd booked it as a package holiday and therefore you automatically get put on the next flight. So they booked us on the 7.30pm flight from Newark to Orlando. We arrived in Newark at 5.30 and made it to the gate with loads of time to spare, we boarded the plane and were just waiting for the pilot to board when the air hostess came over the tannoy and said that there had been a mistake when booking the pilot schedule and the one flying our plane could no longer fly it as he had 'gone illegal' (he'd worked over 16 hours so by law you can't fly). We all had to get off the plane again and were told that the next crew would be here at 11.30pm. So at 11pm we all boarded the flight again, the pilot then boarded (he'd just flown in from Houston) and said 'sorry everyone was tired and that none of us, including HIM wanted to be there'. He then found a 'problem' with one of the computers so the whole system had to be rebooted (like hell there was a problem in the first place) by the time he did that it was 11.30pm...he then taxied out to the runway and was awaiting clearance from air traffic control. HE THEN came over the tannoy and said we were next in line but unfortunately as we were not yet airborne he had now GONE EFFING ILLEGAL and we had to taxi back in and get off again.

This time we were told our flight would not be until 10 AM the next morning!!!!! We weren't given a hotel, and were made to sleep at the departure gate. My mum is a diabetic who was carrying insulin and was explaining to staff that if it wasn't kept cold it wouldn't be viable. I kid you not, their response was 'you shouldn't be carrying it' WHAT? She HAS to you morons and then they just told her to get some ice from a food court restaurant. Similarly my sister has a bladder condition where she has to catheterise every 3-4 hours and at night sleeps with a bag...the poor thing couldn't even sleep because she didn't want the bag in in the airport where everyone would see.

Anyways, next morning 8am comes, we look at the board with the gates to see that the flight is now delayed until TWO PM. At this point, my mum, sisters and I were crying like crazy people so my mum and stepdad with another woman from Belfast went to see a member of staff who told them he'd book them in to a hotel for the night (now this was at 8am so we were wondering if there even was a plane for us given that he was already offering a plane) and that they needed to 'leave the line as he was busy and had other people to see'. In the end after the whole flight kicked off we ended up leaving Newark at 11am on a different plane but their customer service skills are disgusting. I have already emailed them and am waiting for a reply (whether I get it or not is another thing) and my mum is phoning American Holidays today to explain the situation to them and to gain compensation for the fact we were left to sleep on the bloody floor! Agh it makes me so angry! Aside from all that I did have a fabulous holiday, but once I started my United rant I had to finish it lol!

Jen - that is absolutely disgusting treatment by an airline! Do NOT let this go!! There are rules and regulations that they must abide by. Do you go on The DIBB by any chance? It is a fab Disney website for Brits and they are soooo helpful when it comes to problems like this. Recently someone had a problem with a Thomson flight - Us Dibbers got behind her and supported her on the Thomson page on Facebook and after several legal arguments they offered the lady satisfactory compensation!

As for the food diary above ... I want to know even more, lol! 5lbs is nothing ... you did really well!

I love the olive garden. I want to know more about what you did and what you ate. I have over a year to go so want to know it all :) xxx

Hi all,

A small world of warning about Florida...!!

we have booked to go with Virgin Holidays and we were meant to be staying at the NV hotel, however, we have discovered that this Hoyle will now not be available until February 2013....despite the fact that we booked last December (a year prior to going!!!). virgins options were to cancel, or change to either a 2 bedroom suite at another hotel (we are a couple, we do not need 2 bedrooms or we would have booked 2 in the first place) this hotel is actually a downgrade with no refund option offered, the other option, whilst lovely, is the complete opposite end of International Drive and means we have no choice but to hire a car.

Hey ho, I know we will still have an amazing time, just wanted to alert anyone else who may be staying at the NV hotel, chase it up, they don't seem to be letting people know until 4 weeks prior to travel!!

Hi everyone, got back from Florida at the start of the month but had a couple of hectic weeks in work so only getting the chance to get online now! Firstly it was AMAZING!! Thanks to everyones for the advice, it was very helpful. The weather was glorious most of the time, there was the usual thunderstorms/rain mid day- but it didn't last long, and out of three weeks we only had two bad days. Our resort was great, we had a villa in Emerald Island which was a 5 min drive from Disney. Did all Disney parks & Universal and some exhibitions on International Drive including a CSI one which was amazing!!
Now down to the important stuff!! When I first came back I was 3 pounds heavier than the day I left, which I was very happy with as I ate like a king- but I've managed to lose half a stone since then so I think all the walking and heat has only started to have an effect on my body.
I'm so jealous that most people on here still have their holiday to look forward to, and I can't wait to start saving for the next trip there. If anyone has any questions about eating/shopping/attractions please feel free to ask, because i'm already re-living the memories!! xx

Im off to florida in 54 days :)
SO EXCITED. I've never even been to America before!

Staying on international drive. Anyone got any good tips?xx

Doylage said:

Make the most of coupons, I'm not at home t mo, but when I get back I'll post links to special offers. the Americans are lovely people & will do nothing to help. Get to the parks early, when they are quiet.

So jealous. It's 54 weeks tomorrow until we go lol. Get an Orlando magicard for some discounts and offers...pick up offers in restaurants...I suggest you plan where you want to go and what you want to see - almost like an iteniary or you will not get chance to do everything

Make the most of coupons, I'm not at home t mo, but when I get back I'll post links to special offers. the Americans are lovely people & will do nothing to help. Get to the parks early, when they are quiet.

Now I've got home & had chance to look, it's emails I've signed up for & I can't find the website links! One email is something like Mickey's Super Savers, which does really have lots of information on there.

So jealous. It's 54 weeks tomorrow until we go lol. Get an Orlando magicard for some discounts and offers...pick up offers in restaurants...I suggest you plan where you want to go and what you want to see - almost like an iteniary or you will not get chance to do everything

An iteniary is brilliant, I always prepare an iteniary, it saves so much time in the morning.

I Drive is amazing! Wouldn't stay anywhere else in Florida and I've been about 6 times now haha. Obviously it's very long, so there is so much to do! There's a tram that goes along the drive if you can't be bothered to walk ;) They have some amazing restaurants, Bahama Breeze is one that is amazing! Live music most nights in an outside bar area that serve amazing cocktails but then a nice quiet restaurant. TGI Fridays as well which is obviously a favourite, they also do take out if you're too tired from all the park hopping. Pirate mini golf which is so so fun and really affordable, we went there three times in the two weeks we were there because it's such a nice activity before going out to dinner. Last one, they have a lovely little mall with lots of great shops like Hollister, Victoria's Secret etc. If you need any tips on the parks, give me a shout :) Other than that, have an amazing time and I'm sooo jealous xxx

We had the most amazing night in Senoir Frogs on International Drive, such fun!!

Would recommend The Olive Garden and CiCis All you can eat pizza for about $4!!

I loved Florida and didnt want to come home and I have never felt like that before about a holiday. Also stayed on International Drive.

Disney is a must, we only managed to get to Magic Kingdom in the time we were there but it was Amazing, I am 27 and I have never felt so much emotion in my life! It was Magical!

We are doing a week in Orlando at rolling hills and a week on Anna Maria island - booked through hartwell villas. We have planned a busy week of shopping, Disney, water parks and discovery cove followed by a week by the sea doing as little as possible!!! There are 9 of us going. We fly on 8th September next year hopefully. How about you?

Back