Flying soon - too fat - re-assuarance needed

stilltoowide

Hi Guys,

I am now weighing in at about 270lb (hangs head in shame) I have recently lost about 50lbs all told, but I am still HUGELY overweight, I am a shorthouse at 5-3.

I am flying about 4hours next friday on flythomascook the seats are 17 inches, I have booked 3 seats, one for me, one for my 2 year old and one for my fella (who is only "cuddly!" I have pre booked the seats, but I am paranoid I won't fit, or I will be humilated in front of people - has anyone flown recently at my weight or heavier? Reassurance woudl be nice if at all possible....

You'll be fine. I flew with thomas cook a few years ago and i weighed over a 100lbs more than you. the only problem i had was leg room!

Brill about your loss so far :)
Sorry no personal experience but why don't you ring the airline so that they can alay your worries & you never know - with foresight they might decide to pre-allocate the most suitable row for you (3 seats in a row rather than 4 and have a stranger to contend with). I'm sure you'll be sitting your 2yr old between you both so, after take-off you can lift the arm rests to give you a more comfy 4hr journey.
I appreciate what Mr Gilbo says but he is quite a bit taller than you so will obvioulsy have a different shape.
Hope it's a holiday you're going on - so just enjoy.

Thank you both the plane seats are in 3's so will impeach on no one, I am grabbing the window seat so little guy in the middle should be no problems, but I am still worrying, it is a holiday and whilst I should be looking forward to it, I am worrying, I do not want to inform the airline, in case it gives them a heads up and they decide to charge me for another seat - and there is no more seats available on this flight.

stilltoowide said:
Thank you both the plane seats are in 3's so will impeach on no one, I am grabbing the window seat so little guy in the middle should be no problems, but I am still worrying, it is a holiday and whilst I should be looking forward to it, I am worrying, I do not want to inform the airline, in case it gives them a heads up and they decide to charge me for another seat - and there is no more seats available on this flight.

You will be fine
You may need to ask for a sat belt extension .some flighst the belts are long with loads of room others are a wee bit short. It depends what your shape is but if you tum is round Do ask for it and don't be embarrassed the staff are used to giving them out and it makes the journey more comfortable
Well done on the weightless so far
Have a safe flight and a wonderful holiday.

I feel your pain, it used to worry me too. I started SW at your current weight and am the same height and I stopped going anywhere by plane because of this fear - that and having my kids anyway! Anyway, the last time I flew (when I was not quite at my heaviest) I just squeezed into the belt but my guess is you may need an extension depending on the airline. I also couldn't get the tray all the way down comfortably. On the plus side, I did fit into the seat and there's no way I would have needed 2 seats - although obviously it would have been more comfortable! Good luck and I hope this worry doesn't mar your holiday. You've done great losing all the weight so far, stick with it and think how different things will be next time you fly xx

Thanks for your support, I have actually brought an extender to save the embarrasment of having to ask, and I will not need the tray to be down. I just don't want this bit ruining my holiday, I suffer with agraphobia and just going is a huge challenge in itself let alone worryong about airlines being harsh about my size xx

I've no experience of flying, so can't add anything there...but I just wanted to ask you NOT to hang your head in shame. You have LOST an enormous amount of weight, and have everything to be proud of! I bet you wouldn't have booked this holiday if you were still 3.5 stone heavier, would you? SO think about just how far along your journey you are. Try not to get bogged down with thinking of how far you've got to go; celebrate the great results you've had so far, and all the benefits you're already feeling xxx

My friend flew from the US to vietnam to collect her adopted daughter a couple of years ago. She really worried, too. It was fine though.

At the time she weighed 370 lbs (5'5.5'') - she has since lost 123 lbs and still going (gastric band)...

You can use two seats anyway if need be (with son on lap). If you are really worried why not ring the airline and ask about seatbelt extenders etc - I am sure they will put your mind at rest.

I don't need them any more, but when I did I just asked for a seat belt extender. No problems from the airline staff - they are used to it. They have seen larger people than you, I am sure!

And as you know who will be sitting next to you, you can raise the arm rest which will make things much more comfortable. You won't need two seats.

And you won't be humiliated - other people will be far more concerned with getting themselves into their seats.

Back