Flying with packs? Customs / Law

Professor

Guess whos back...
I am off to the USA in a weeks time for Christmas and New Year, after thinking long and hard i have decided to carry-on SSing through my holiday and festive season (i figured in theme parks etc chances of food that isnt junk is about nil!)

Anyhow that means for my trip i will need 40 shake packs with me? How will USA Customs take to my suitcase having a massive amount of powdered packs in it? Last thing i want of course is any trouble either at check-ins or customs in USA. I dont plan on taking any packs etc in hand-luggage just in my hold suitcase? I will be arriving in USA at JFK New York, but then flying on to Orlando.

Also was planning to pack my electric whisk, does it work in USA? And will customs wonder what hell the metal device in suitcase is? LOL

Hiya Proffessor,
I know people who have flown to the US before and taken their packs - sure you'll be fine - maybe pack some cambrige literature in case you're worried...

they must've seen people with these packs before - if they question it tell them you're on a medical diet you can't eat!

Have a great time and don't stress - sure someone else will be along to give their experience....

HTH

geri

ps any chance of bringing me some big red chewing gum!!! :D

Ok Proff, USA customs can be funny beggars!! Packs in your suitcase should not be a problem at all, however I cant speak for the US personally. SInce starting CD I have travelled to spain, Tunisia and France and packed loads of tetras and they have been fine.

Its Liquids that they are stopping and not powder, and it also is with regards to hand luggage too.

Your whisk will work, but you need an adapter for the US, can get them in boots, its not the usual continental one, make sure it says it works in US!!!!!!!!!!

Have a great time x

I contacted the US embassy in London when I went to ask.

They said no tetras but the dry packs were fine.

M.

Thanks all, i emailed US Customs earlier thinking if i ever even got a reply it would be in 2months!
WOW within 2-3 hrs !! (in shock)
Heres there response:

As long as it is in the original packaging - as the CBP officer will need to clearly tell what it is.

Thank you for contacting Customs and Border Protection's Customer Service Center. If you have any other questions or would like clarification on this response, please feel free to contact us either by calling our toll free number 877 CBP-5511 (227-5511) or if calling from outside the United States our toll number 202-354-1000 and ask for me

Hi Lee,

That is wonderful you are keeping on your diet over Christmas and the New Year...I do admire your determination and I think your right as the first time is the magic time.

Very quick response to your question and good to know as well for others who might want to know.

How much weight have you lost to date?

Love Mini xxx

Good on you for sticking to it Prof while in the States.

You are right mate about healthy food, particularly in Orlando. Healthy food there of course counts as a burger with only one dollop of mayo.

Think about how proud you will be getting home with the knowledge that you will be one of the only Brits that has been to Orlando and actually lost weight :cool: :cool: :cool:

Have a great time buddy.

Thanks all, i thought for a while i may eat whilst there, but no real option of "good" food. Would have to have been burgers/fries and hotdogs so decided def to stick to SS.

Its going to be long days of water though! As we likely to be leaving our hotel some days at 7-8am and getting back gone midnight, i no real way of making packs in that time. So looks like i shall be living on water for 15+ hrs a day and having shakes early/late in day, which could be interesting, but that said i go now sometimes 12-13hrs a day before making my packs so i think it will be fine. Only day worrying me a little is day flying out and flying back, as liekly to be 18hr days+ as i not flying direct (cheapskate you see! LOL)

Hi,

I also advice anyone traveling abroad to take one of the box which can easily be flat packed. The boxes have a list of ingredience on the side which may help.

Sim

Hiya Prof

Do you not have bars? They'll be sooo handy rather than having to go so long without a pack? Just a thought! :p

Good god no! i cant change my routine :)
No seriously i cant stand the bars, i am incredibly fussy and very happy with my same mousse every single day.

And I can cope fine with long gaps, 13+hrs at work never bothers me, if i ever feel empty its a quick litre of water :)

This is probably too late for this thread now, but regarding the shakes and not being able to eat all day - maybe you could get a 'shaker pot' - I used something I had when my daughter was a baby 6 years ago, and I still use to make up her soya milk from powder - it is by avent and involves a pot and a 2 piece lid (plastic rim and flexi-rubber lid piece). I use it for her and me everyday, must be most well used kitchen utensil). Even stored breast milk in when she a baby (yes I know TMI!!!!). Essentially, I am suggesting that you check out the baby section of a large Boots and see what you can rustle up!

The other thing about if you are worried supplies will be confiscated is getting a doc's letter - I have to in order to carry my daughter's adrenaline injection and special foods on to the flight. I am sure, espec since you're doing so well, your doc would run you one off.

Hope this helps!

The other thing about if you are worried supplies will be confiscated is getting a doc's letter - I have to in order to carry my daughter's adrenaline injection and special foods on to the flight. I am sure, espec since you're doing so well, your doc would run you one off.

Hope this helps!

Was about to put this in a reply. Your GP will only be too willing to write you a letter, he can see that CD is doing good and would not want to jeopardise your weight loss. I know this because i work for a GP and we have lots of cases where patients request this kind of service.

Blimey, Skinny Cow! Do you think your docs would have a word with my village surgery!

Two of my clients have been asked to pay £50 each for a GP signature on their medical record form - despite being overweight because of medical conditions.

I can of course understand GP's charging a fee for countersigning a passport application, for example, but I did think this was a tad greedy...

Hi Lesly,

I know that some GP's do charge a lot for this service, which i think is disqusting. It actually takes them a couple of minutes to do.

The GP's i work for only charge £2 for a signature and £6 for passports.

At the moment they are making a big issue about obesity, and i think Dr's should be helping to cut the obesity rates by not charging for a signature on a medical record for the CD. Making patients pay £50 for a form to be filled in is really greedy and could put potential dieters off the diet. If they dont then do the CD diet or any other diet then it could cost the NHS far more money in medication for illness related to obesity.

At the moment they are making a big issue about obesity, and i think Dr's should be helping to cut the obesity rates by not charging for a signature on a medical record for the CD. Making patients pay £50 for a form to be filled in is really greedy and could put potential dieters off the diet. If they dont then do the CD diet or any other diet then it could cost the NHS far more money in medication for illness related to obesity.

I couldn't have put this better myself! Perhaps one day, the medical profession will realise it too...
L

The best way to combat the problem is to go to your surgery and complain to the Practice Manager about the high prices. If the problem is not resolved then take it further and contact your local health authority. In saying all this, it is up to the Practice what they charge and there is no set price for administration.

Maybe if more people make a point of complaining then the prices maybe dropped a little.

Back