Food Addicts Not Anonymous

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bumping this up with the hope it might become a Sticky.

A thread that is kept permanently like the ones in the top portion of this page.

This is an interesting and insightful read. Thank you very much for posting and it is great learning about my realtionship with food!

How about Addicts Corner. It would be a place we can come whenever we need each other s help or just a place to pour out our problems with our addictions.

It is a brilliant thread and helps so many of us.

I've always thought i was the only one who was addicted to food. I show classic symptoms of addiction (lying, secretive etc) but the substance is normal so I'm just viewed as 'greedy' and 'weak'.

Although I am losing weight I am still addicted to food, I still eat because I crave it rather than because I'm hungry, makes me feel such a failure. How do I overcome it?

I've always thought i was the only one who was addicted to food. I show classic symptoms of addiction (lying, secretive etc) but the substance is normal so I'm just viewed as 'greedy' and 'weak'.

Although I am losing weight I am still addicted to food, I still eat because I crave it rather than because I'm hungry, makes me feel such a failure. How do I overcome it?

Oooh that is a hard one. How do you overcome it ??

For me there was no quick fix. It has taken time.

You must never be ashamed of enjoying food. It is one of life's great pleasures and the beauty of SW is that allows you to enjoy a normal diet, you just optimise. You almost eat yourself slim.

I still have to have a plate full of food for my main meal the difference is that now the plate is full of "good" food.

One of the main things that has happened is that my cravings are now different. I crave more of the free foods, so that is o.k.

Do you crave sweet or savoury food ? For sweet I substituted free yogurt (if I allowed myself I could eat 3 or 4 in one sitting, I don't, but I could,)for savoury if I am on a green day I have SW chips with salt and vinegar. There are so many things you can have. It just takes a bit of planning. I also snack on raw carrot etc...............not as boring as it sounds and it does answer the need to eat because I think the essence is that you want to eat not what you eat.

None of this might help you. You might be looking for an entirely different sort of help. It is just what worked for me.

XXXXXX

well i feel such a failure as yet again I have given into food as a comfort for being miserable, argh! Still I am improving as I have squirted washing up liquid on the crap I got and chucked some of it away :)

Well done for waking up and smelling the roses..............

It must have been tough to turn your back on the goodies you had bought to comfort yourself. But you did.

You have moved forward. You did not tell yourself you would start again when you had finished your "treats" you were strong enough to make sure you could not eat them.

Small steps add up to a big journey !!!

Hugs xxxxxxxx

glad i found you.

hi everyone.i'm new.just joined yesterday after reading the article on emotional eating(made me sniff a bit!)'cos i recognised myself in so much of it:sigh:.been overweight since childhood,lost it all once,about ten years ago,and suprise suprise,i have managed to put nearly all of it back on again!it's great to read some of you guys words,this is a great forum.the struggles of you other girls(mostly)have got me really realising i'm not alone,and the support for each other through the harsh battle of getting those eating habits in check and getting rid of the weight,whilst not being judgemental,and truly understanding how hard it is,is fantastic:D!we all know it's not down to being 'greedy',it's something much deeper than that.the successes of some of you is inspirational!i'm glad i've found you.i think this could be a very good thing for me.bless you all!x:)

Well, tonight I am eating and eating and eating and not stopping because I'm scared. Scared to feel whatever it is that I'm feeling, so I'm stuffing myself with food and wine (funny sidenote, part of it SW-friendly food!) so that I feel so full and stuffed and uncomfortable that I don't have a chance to actually feel anything else.

This sucks.

Oh Kristin, I am so sorry, you poor girl. What are you so frightened of ??? Do you have that sort of distant feeling of depression the one that doesn't surface but could if you let it.

You know inside your other head, the logical one, that no amount of eating is going to help you, that it is only going to make you feel worse and you really do not want that do you ???

Only you can overcome whatever it is. We can only be here to offer you encouragement.

You are an attractive and sensible girl and you know what you have to do..........

If it helps to talk about your fears, talk,

I am thinking of you and hoping that by now you are recovering,

hugs xxxxxxx
bighug.gif

hi there kirstin.hope everything seems a bit better now the weekend is over.:)

My name is Sue and I am a food addict.

It worries me that even though I never go off plan, and I mean never, I constantly think of food. I am planning my next meal before I have finished the one I am eating. This really, really worries me.

I have developed other cravings. I constantly want to eat yogurt. I don't .I ration myself to 2 a day 3 on a bad day.

Food has become the centre of my world and staying on plan is almost an obsession.

I know it is not normal and that I should be able to approach this whole issue rationally and logically but I don't.

Thank you so much Kristin.

I agree with everything you have said. That is what worries me most I know what is happening to me and I still let it happen.

I am obsessed. I am on here as often as I can be. I want to be totally immersed in the whole SW thing. It is ridiculous really. My life is not empty, far from it, so I am not trying to fill a void.

For me to go off plan would be disastrous. That in itself is not really healthy. I can not ease up. I don't want to.

The bottom line in everything for me is reaching goal. I have altered my goal weight twice already.

Kristin I know you are right in all you have so wisely said and I am sure that eventually I will become more rational about my outlook on my new way of eating.

Thanks Kristin,

you are an angel !!!

I feel the next obsession is going to be excersise, just of to dance my way through the house to Grease.....such good dancing music lol !!!!!!!

Your support is invaluable and you make me feel normal for feeling the way I feel, a lot of feelings there lol !!!

Welcome back Kristin.

You will get back on track because you want to. It is a great time of the year for fruit, veg and even exercise, so you will be fine.

hugs xxxxxxx

My name is Zoe and I'm a food addict.
Been reading your posts Sue and Kristen and so much rings true for me too. Today I was feeling really anxious and so went on an eating binge (and I mean BINGE!) to stuff down my feelings. Now I feel bloated and sick... And really quite gutted about it.

Like you Sue, I spend an inordinate amount of time on this site. Am quite obsessed really. I've been 100% since I started five weeks ago and feel awful that I've let the side down today. Ah well. It happens I guess. Going to try to claw back what I can between now and WI on thursday.

Keep posting as we're all in the same boat, XXXX

Aaaw Kristin thankyou. I'm so glad I found this thread. It's great to meet others in the same boat. Hugs, ZXXX

My name is Zoe and I'm a food addict.
Been reading your posts Sue and Kristen and so much rings true for me too. Today I was feeling really anxious and so went on an eating binge (and I mean BINGE!) to stuff down my feelings. Now I feel bloated and sick... And really quite gutted about it.

Like you Sue, I spend an inordinate amount of time on this site. Am quite obsessed really. I've been 100% since I started five weeks ago and feel awful that I've let the side down today. Ah well. It happens I guess. Going to try to claw back what I can between now and WI on thursday.

Keep posting as we're all in the same boat, XXXX

Firstly, it is no bad thing to have the odd bad day. What is bad is beating yourself up over it. It is done, finished, nothing you can do about it, so wipe the slate clean and make a fresh start. You are only human after all. The important thing is not to slide back anymore.

Secondly, try to address the feelings that are causing you to want to hide yourself behind a mountain of food. Is there someone you can talk it out with. Someone who will listen and give you good advice.

And lastly, what's wrong with spending our spare time on here.....NOTHING LOL !!! We could be doing much worse things couldn't we. You could be maxing out your credit card or horror of horrors, eating !!!

This place has been my salvation and I am sure it is yours as well,

If ever you want to chat PM me,

hugs xxxxxxxxxx
bighug.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back