Food intolerance

JaxieD

Silver Member
Hi,

Was wondering if any of you have been tested for food intolerance. I'm thinking about getting blood tests done as for years I've been suffering from wind, bloating, fluid retention, stomach cramps and episodes of general unwellness (is that a word? :) ) I also have been unable to shift much weight on SW despite sticking (rigidly) to plan and doing exercise. This week I put 1.5lbs on which is so depressing and have been suffering all week with digestive problems. I know my own body and something is just not functioning correctly and it's driviing me nuts :-(

are you eating more dairy than you used to?
try cutting it out for a week and see if that helps..
if not then try cutting out wheat.. and so on until you find what is affecting you..

I do have more bloating and wind since starting SW, but I put that down to increased fibre and less fat in my diet.. ( fruit and veg "ferment" but I've never heard that a chicken nugget does.. :) )

It may well be wheat but I really don't know. This has been going on for years but I have managed things. I had been maintaining my weight at around 12 and half stones for past couple of years but before Christmas I put on a staggering amount of weight in a very short space of time and was very shocked as though I expected a few pounds I had put on nearly a stone in 3 weeks. This weight I cannot get rid of and am concerned that something I am eating is exacerbating it!! I am a very healthy eater with moderate portions and should not be sitting at 13 and half stone.

If u are going to try cutting food out it takes upto 2 weeks for symptoms to Carmel, I have several allergies and go doctor to get advice, also are u writing down what u eat and symptoms???

I have been diagnosed as having IBS and have similar symptoms to you. I'm now on tablets before I eat. But see your doctor. I wish I had earlier, my symptoms are far better with the right treatments

How strange I've been on sw since June and have been ok. This week I've eaten loads of citrus fruits and kiwis strawberries etc and i have the same symptoms. I dont touch milk and rarely have wheat :-(( x

Hi,

Was wondering if any of you have been tested for food intolerance. I'm thinking about getting blood tests done as for years I've been suffering from wind, bloating, fluid retention, stomach cramps and episodes of general unwellness (is that a word? :) ) I also have been unable to shift much weight on SW despite sticking (rigidly) to plan and doing exercise. This week I put 1.5lbs on which is so depressing and have been suffering all week with digestive problems. I know my own body and something is just not functioning correctly and it's driviing me nuts :-(

Have a look at this......it makes interesting reading....

http://theharcombediet.com/faqs/the-conditions/

i have similar problems and was eventually diagnosed with ibs. however i was told that there is no blood test to check for food intolerances and i just had to figure out my bad foods myself

i have had most tests done and i even had 5 day stay in hospital and had camera sent all over body. best thing is write down what u have and symptoms u get. docs will see pattern and suggest next thing. dont go cutting out things untill u see doc. im dairy free and have ibs d which means i get cramps and wind very loose stools, if i eat non ibs friendly food, such as orange or alot of sugar.

I've suffered for a long time with similar digestive problems and used to get stomach pains so bad I'd be doubled up in agony. Had a load of tests done and nothing showed up to explain the pains. Over the last year or so I also got so tired it was hard to keep my eyes open in work. I also couldn't lose weight (down 2lbs up 3!) In the end I had food intolerence tests done IgG (IgE are the ones done for allergies) and it has changed my life!!! I now only suffer if I overindulge in the foods that showed up in the test. I did the test in ireland but it's very similar to yorktest YorkTest | Food Intolerance Testing, Allergy Tests & Food Sensitivity Testing it's expensive to do and I put it off for a few years but am really glad I did now.

You can try eliminating foods but it can be discouraging and often difficult to follow.

Many doctors don't believe in food intolerence apart from dairy and gluten but if you can be intolerent of them then why not others?

Good luck and I hope you feel better

azlan said:
I've suffered for a long time with similar digestive problems and used to get stomach pains so bad I'd be doubled up in agony. Had a load of tests done and nothing showed up to explain the pains. Over the last year or so I also got so tired it was hard to keep my eyes open in work. I also couldn't lose weight (down 2lbs up 3!) In the end I had food intolerence tests done IgG (IgE are the ones done for allergies) and it has changed my life!!! I now only suffer if I overindulge in the foods that showed up in the test. I did the test in ireland but it's very similar to yorktest YorkTest | Food Intolerance Testing, Allergy Tests & Food Sensitivity Testing it's expensive to do and I put it off for a few years but am really glad I did now.

You can try eliminating foods but it can be discouraging and often difficult to follow.

Many doctors don't believe in food intolerence apart from dairy and gluten but if you can be intolerent of them then why not others?

Good luck and I hope you feel better

Thanks for that... I actually just sent off my preliminary test to Yorktest a couple of days ago!! I know it's a lot of money but if it brings me some clarity and guidance then I'm all for it. I feel as if I'm floundering around in circles at the moment. It's doing my head in!!

I'm so glad to hear of someone else with the same problem (not that that's much use to u lol) the boosting is unreal... My husband calls it the evergrowing alien inside me... All the doctors will say is just cud didn't ur food intake, cut out White bread, they have no interest.

This morning I had 28g crunchy nut cornflakes, after that I had to sit down, I hadn't the energy for anything, I had to sleep it off for 15 min then I was grand. Can u imagine taking me out for dinner lol.

I hope you get the answers from York tests, I looked it up and sounds the answer. Please let us know how u get on, I would consider doing it myself xx

Hope the york test will help and at least if the preliminary test is negative, you'll know it ain't food that's causing the problem (I have met someone whose test was neg so at least ya know it's not positive for everyone) and not wasted your money on the full test. When you get the results of the full test, you have to completely eliminate the foods for 3 months and then try slowly reintroducing them and only eat the food every few days if you can manage to reintroduce them. You are also advised to take some supplements to heal your gut and they are very important to take.

I wish you all the best and if there's anything you want to ask just let me know.

Please go to see a doctor mummyt. That simply isn't normal. I'm not saying the doctor will listen straight away, but unless they've done tests already, don't be put off. I have considered, and avoided, posting on this thread many times but I'm going to, because if I can save one person some money they don't need to spend or get one person to push their doctor harder, it's worth the inevitable criticism.

I was told at age 18 by one doctor that I had IBS and period pain, by another that it was all in my head and there was nothing wrong with me.

I did some of those tests at a health food shop, they came back I was intolerant to dairy.

I went back to the doctors, they did their own test (the only test they ever actually did until I collapsed) and said I wasn't, gave me more IBS pills and more or less said I was a hypochondriac.

Fast forward ten years, I ended up getting rushed to hospital and they finally decided it might not be IBS and did some proper tests :rolleyes: . Long story short, I had a life threatening complication to a disease I'd been walking around with the whole time. A simple test at any point would have alerted them to it.

Some things I have found out:
1) IBS should be the last diagnosis, not the first. It's only diagnosis is by eliminating everything else. Sure, such symptoms are more likely to be IBS than anything else, but is that really good enough? Some doctors even say there really is no one illness called IBS. It's just a catch-all name for a number of symptoms that they can't find a cause of. That's partly why people with IBS can have such different symptoms, and why they can respond to treatment so differently. Trouble is, GPs don't like referring people for expensive treatment. At the very least they should do a stool test (icky and embarrassing, I know, but...)

2) Those tests you have to pay for are iffy at best. The one I took told me I was intolerant to dairy and various other stuff when I wasn't, but ironically managed to miss the intolerance to some fruit acids that I do actually suffer from. The NHS does not actually recognise the 'science' Yorktest et al actually use, because there is no immunological or clinical evidence behind it. In fact, they had to stop saying that their tests were 'clinically vaildated' or boasted 'scientific expertise and reliability' - because they weren't and they didn't.

3) If you go to a health food shop or nutritionist and tell you that you have a bona fide illness, they'll refuse to serve you. Seriously. In conversation I told the woman in a certain high-street health shop (who, as it happens, offer YorkTest as a service) what I had and she told me they had nothing to treat 'proper' illness with and that I should go back to my doctor. As it happens, I am a big believer in some alternative medicines, as long as you understand the cause of the symptoms and the remedy is backed by research.

wow sockmonkey - what a terrible experience. Can I ask what test you had/to ask the doctor to do? I had stool tests, H pylori and endoscopy etc but they couldn't explain the pains I had - just said I had a 'sluggish' digestive system and sent me on my way!! The food intol test showed up 3 things and when I avoid eating them I feel muuuuuch better but if there's another possible explanation, I'd def like to follow up with my doc.

The york test only tests for reactions to proteins in foods so intol to other things won't show - for milk it tests a reaction to casein and not lactose.

Last edited:
Hi,

Hiya I have ibs and I can't have any pasta, bread, rice etc as long as I stick to red i'm ok, although my friend has ibs too and can't eat meat, so I guess its an individual thing, go along to your doctor and get some advise, hopefully he will be better than mine! xx Boo xx

Back