Free calories

chocaslim

adores posting
Hi just out of interest is there anyone out there that does not count certain foods and classes them as free foods or unlimited and if so which foods are they thank you would appreicate it.

I dont count sugar free squash, mainly because there is something like 8 cals per pint and I dont drink enough anyway so im trying to encourage myself to drink more by added squash. apart from that i count everything, including milk in tea and salad veg.

i've heard of some people not counting fruit and veg but i think you need to really as a banana is around 100 cals and apples are around 60. sweetcorn is quite high in cals too. so you could be adding on loads of extra cals without realising it.

xxx

I also don't really count the sugar-free drinks I have: flavoured fizzy water (4 calories for a large bottle), pepsi max (1 calorie a can), sugar-free squash (I only drink squash that is very low in calories, although watching things like 'high-juice' because they often have an awful lot of calories in comparison), etc. I don't count them because it's so few calories that even over the course of a day it doesn't add up to much at all (and it gets me drinking more fluids). I count everything else though (including fruit and veg) :)

I count absolutely everything ... even milk in tea (14 calories!). I think that's where I went wrong in the past - guessing here and there, missing out bits and bobs (as the mood took me!), and for me, I need to know exactly where I am number-wise. The main benefit, apart from my newly emerging waist, is learning new portion sizes, for meals and snacks. Hopefully something that will keep me maintaining when I reach goal ... fingers crossed anyway!

hi, i've been watching my cals, and i don't count sprite zero etc. nor tea (camomile, peppermint ect, but I'd count the milk) and started off counting fruit and veg, but found that then I hardly ate any, so I stopped counting ( as long as I don't overdo it and I would count a banana and that high-kind ones). I find adding an apple and grapes or cucumber and a tea at meals makes me so full or feel like i've eaten a lot, I don't want to eat too soon again.lol

i dont count fruit or veg, but i do count sweetcorn and banana even though i dont eat banana's but if i was to eat an avacado then i'd definately have to count it as its high in cals.

I don't count salad veg or things like cabbage, spinach etc
I only count the higher carb veg like potato, parsnip, peas etc

thats great thanks for all your replys a good read........ tbh i never thought of counting no added sugar drinks a habit from other diet plans probably and i dont count green veg and green salad leaves:)

I think the great thing sbout calorie counting is that you decide how you want to use it. Some people are really strict and count every single calorie, I was like that to start and think it's a good way to establish your diet in the early days. However as I have gone on I now barely count at all, I just use what I learnt in those early days to judge what I can eat in a day. My diet isn't very varied (I'm fussy), so I knwo the calorie contents of most of what I eat off by heart so just a rough mental tally of the bulk of what I eat is usually enough to keep me on track. I'm sure there will come a time when that stops working, then I'll go back to monitoring every morsel I eat til I get back on track.

I count all foods to the nearest 0.01 cal

Pepsi Max dont count (1cal)
Nescafe dont count (67cals per 100g about 80 coffee's)
Silver Spoon Sweetener dont count (0.2cals)

Last edited:
Back