Freezing SW chips?

Discussion in 'Slimming World Recipes' started by Chipsticks, 23 April 2014.

1. Chipsticks

Chipsticks Well-Known Member

Was just looking at the sack of spuds I bought and noticed they're on the turn (and HRT won't help) so was just thinking I may freeze some.

Have been googling and some say it's fine to freeze par boiled spuds, others say no. Does anyone here? And if so, how do you go about it?

Would be great to just pull out a bag and chuck them in the oven!
  2. lickthelid

lickthelid Lives here....

I read that you can if you blanch them. Two pans, one with boiling water one with really cold, possibly with ice cubes. One spoonful at a time into the boiling water, count to three then put them into the cold water. Spread them out to dry and bag them up. I've not done it myself yet but do intend to as I also seem to have a glut of potatoes so if you do let me know how you go :)
  3. Chipsticks

Ooops @ blanching, I did think of doing that, but have loads, so have a huge pan on par boiling... lol

Ah well, if they don't work it's no loss I suppose, they would have gone to waste anyway.
  4. Willbeslimjen

Willbeslimjen Well-Known Member

I haven't done it but have heard people on my group just par boil, freeze and then stick in the oven when they want them
  5. Chipsticks

Well that's what I've done, I now have tons of chips in the freezer... lol
  6. lickthelid

lickthelid Lives here....

I must get round to doing this myself. I have an actifry too so chucking them in there would be even easier. Bonus. Let us know how they cook up :)
  7. Chipsticks

I love the chips, but they are a cafuffle to make. I often have to prepare 3 different dinners as well, me, OH and the kids, so anything that would save time is great. I've decided on pizza and chips for tea tomorrow I think, so will grab a bag out and see how they go. Will be sure to let you know :)
  8. NewMe14

NewMe14 Well-Known Member

I'm going to try this too. Thanks for the tip :)
  9. Chipsticks

Well, the OH said they were fine, so it does work. The only thing I would say is that, if room permits, freeze them on a tray in one layer, then bag them up once frozen, I just had a big clump of chips so had to let them defrost before chucking in the oven, not a problem if I know I'm having them and can take them out in the morning, but more of a pain as a last minute thing. I'm sure they would be fine to cook from frozen :)
  10. NewMe14

NewMe14 Well-Known Member

Did you par boil them before hand or just peel and cut up and then freeze? thanks for the tip re tray :)
  11. Chipsticks

I par boiled, from what I read on Google it's a must with veggies (or at least blanching) :)

Sent from my HTC One using mobile app
  12. SWStretford

SWStretford New Member

Thanks for the tip/idea. Something I'll have to try :)
  13. nettybungles

nettybungles Well-Known Member

gonna try it for handiness lol