From 16's to 15's

gazter said:
Congrats. You have done well so far, its nothing to be sniffed at to lose 7 points on your bmi.

Thank you :) Your loss is fantastic, hope I can get that far! I still have another 5 and a bit stone to go but happy with how I've done up to now.

Thank you :) Your loss is fantastic, hope I can get that far! I still have another 5 and a bit stone to go but happy with how I've done up to now.

Get Active!!

Exercising at these sizes are much bigger calorie burners than for people with only a little to lose. It can be attractive as that Buy One Get One Free offer at Morrisons for a twelve pack of walkers crisps.

If you walk/jog a mile or two you burn off pretty close to twice as much. Your body has loads of muscle, if you could slim down over night you would have muscles like a buffed gym rat. Your body needs this extra muscle to carry you around..... If i put a rucksack on now, and filled it with six stones of weights, I wouldnt be able to walk for more than a few steps without wanting to collapse, yet i was living my life with that quantity of weight all around me. My body adapted and grew the necessary muscles to carry out its tasks.

Use this advantage. If it is hard, its burning calories..

I started Couch to 5K when i was 21st9, two days after joining slimming world:
Couch to 5K - Live Well - NHS Choices

It starts you right at the beginning.... It was the start of a much healthier lifestyle for me.

The key to my success so far has been about following the diet 100%. Not one single day I have gone over my fifteen syns (well, it was possible that i did at a Nandos when i had some fries, but I was back on track the next day and had no syns). While increasing my exercise. An average week for me now involves most of this, but the odd thing might drop out as my time allows:

Kettlebells x2 workouts (1 hour per workout including warm up and cool down)
Circuit training x1 (1 hour workout)
Pillates x2 workouts (1 hour per workout including warm up and cool down)
Running x2 / x3 workouts (30 minutes to 40 minutes per workout including warm up and cool down)

But, I built up to this. When I started Couch to 5k, that is all i done for three months. It was only when I graduated that and joined a gym that i started to push things up a bit.

The combination of exercise and diet pushed my blood pressure from a high 130/98 to a perfect smack bang in the middle for a healthy athletic individual (which i am not !!) of 110/70.

I think exercise is the next thing on my list, you're certainly not wrong in how important it is. ;) And it's very true that at the weight we are at a little exercise will have a massive effect. At the moment my only exercise is 30 minutes twice a day walking to and from work. The walk is much brisker in the morning as I am usually running late hehe! I used to roller skate twice a week but ended up quitting (for a variety of reasons sadly) a couple of weeks before I started SW. I would normally be skating cycle paths in the summer but the weather has been so pants this year I've not really got going. Skating in the rain is pretty hellishly dangerous too when you start aquaplaning and I can't really afford broken bones at the moment. ;)

So with my favourite form of exercise out for the moment, I am considering my options. I have recently changed jobs and am now working only a few yards from a local authority sports centre so I'm thinking of joining the gym and seeing how I go or trying swimming again.

I do have a C25K app on my phone which I have started a couple of times but never finished. Running doesn't really interest me but I have considering incorporating C25K into the walking I already do to work and back.

missy1978 said:
I think exercise is the next thing on my list, you're certainly not wrong in how important it is. ;) And it's very true that at the weight we are at a little exercise will have a massive effect. At the moment my only exercise is 30 minutes twice a day walking to and from work. The walk is much brisker in the morning as I am usually running late hehe! I used to roller skate twice a week but ended up quitting (for a variety of reasons sadly) a couple of weeks before I started SW. I would normally be skating cycle paths in the summer but the weather has been so pants this year I've not really got going. Skating in the rain is pretty hellishly dangerous too when you start aquaplaning and I can't really afford broken bones at the moment. ;)

So with my favourite form of exercise out for the moment, I am considering my options. I have recently changed jobs and am now working only a few yards from a local authority sports centre so I'm thinking of joining the gym and seeing how I go or trying swimming again.

I do have a C25K app on my phone which I have started a couple of times but never finished. Running doesn't really interest me but I have considering incorporating C25K into the walking I already do to work and back.

If you can afford it think about having an assessment with a decent personal trainer, I had one this week and it was great, and he looked at my lean muscle mass etc which was 52kg and built me a plan to maximise calorie burn by doing a lot of fast high resistance circuits

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Oh that's good donna, wish I had holiday filled months!

I lost another 1lb this week. Makes it 50lbs now. So I am very happy. Next mini goal is 2lbs to get me into single digit lbs (16 stone 9lbs). Love my mini goals.

Hello folks, guess I will be posting here for a while, glad I managed to start SW before I went into my 17s!

Hi Nathan. Welcome :) I try to not worry about where I've started, it's where I end up that matters :) at the beginning of this year I was 21 stone 3lbs i aim to say goodbyw to 2012 15 stone 12lbs and hopefully say goodbye to 2013 at 10 stone 7lbs.

This forum needs a 'double' *like* option!

Aww, thanks gazter :)

It may take me a little longer to get to my target weight than planned, but I will get there. Went on a nice long walk today and I'm doing the 7 day plan from the latest magazine so I am hopeful. I have lots of mini targets. the next one is to get my lbs into single digits (16st 9lbs) then another 2lbs will bring me to 16.5stone and lower my bmi. Another 1lb will make it 55lbs, another 1lb will bring my 4 stone award, another 1lb and i have hit my 1st interim target. Another 1lb and I have lost 20% of my body weight since joining sw. It sound stupid but tiny goals motivate me as I can keep ticking them off. I don't lose big amounts so i have to stay consistent.

Back