Frozen fruit

sparkledpixie

Silver Member
How do you get on with this? Do you let it defrost completely? I've got a bag in my freezer and was tempted by the berries too but am very fussy about fruit being just ripe when I eat it :-S

I usually cover in yogurt and eat still mostly frozen, but sometimes I eat them defrosted. :)

Thank you all, might try the half frozen idea!

I mostly eat them with yougurt as 'dessert'. They're nice put in the bottom of a bowl with low sugar jelly poured over the top and some fat free yougurt, feels a bit like trifle.

Also I like doing the porridge thing or you try with weetabix.

Also there's a recipe on the website for a summer pudding that uses bread and berries that is lovely.

I like them a bit frozen too but my teeth can't always cope!

I like my frozen berries partially defrosted too! Nice to have a bit of 'crunch' to them. Most of the berries defrost perfectly fine, but I'm not keen on the strawberries that way - they go a bit soggy.

I finally got round to trying frozen summer berries today... Put them in porridge with a teaspoon of splenda. They were so sour and tart! Should I be putting more sweetener in?

I used mine in my porridge alternative (don't like the stuff) Healthy extra muesli portion, 1 grated apple, loaded of FF yoghurt and hand full of frozen berries. I let that soak overnight and take it with me on the morning I go to the gym before work. Really tasty!

I used mine in my porridge alternative (don't like the stuff) Healthy extra muesli portion, 1 grated apple, loaded of FF yoghurt and hand full of frozen berries. I let that soak overnight and take it with me on the morning I go to the gym before work. Really tasty!

Do you grate your apple the day before too? Does it not go brown?

I drop mine into my porridge still frozen, it cools the porridge so I can shovel it in faster :D

Yep - me too. I like the fact that the frozen banana defrosts really soft and makes my porridge creamy.

Lucky7 said:
Yep - me too. I like the fact that the frozen banana defrosts really soft and makes my porridge creamy.

Frozen banana, I dont think I've ever seen these, where did you get them from?

I like to blitz it up with a glug of milk or yogurt makes it like sorbet/ice cream is 3 syns for 200g of berries but makes a HUGE bowl full.

BeckyT said:

I just make my own , I peel any that have gone a bit ripe and either chop them or freeze them whole( where I eat them like a creamy lolly)and put them in cling film or a food bag and bung em in the freezer .

When I have bananas that are getting a bit too ripe (or if there are some reduced at the supermarket) I chop them into slices and lay them on greaseproof paper (actually I've just bought a reusable teflon sheet for the job now) in a single layer. Once frozen I transfer them to a freezer bag.

I tend to just use them for the porridge - it works out more economical and means I can make my breakfast with just one eye open.

Am thinking of buying some chocolate sauce to squirt over a few slices to eat half frozen when I get sweet cravings though.

I think it's Pete that has a recipe on here for ice cream that he makes using frozen bananas.

I like to blitz it up with a glug of milk or yogurt makes it like sorbet/ice cream is 3 syns for 200g of berries but makes a HUGE bowl full.

Yum - it is synned when blitzed though.

Lucky7 said:
When I have bananas that are getting a bit too ripe (or if there are some reduced at the supermarket) I chop them into slices and lay them on greaseproof paper (actually I've just bought a reusable teflon sheet for the job now) in a single layer. Once frozen I transfer them to a freezer bag.

I tend to just use them for the porridge - it works out more economical and means I can make my breakfast with just one eye open.

Am thinking of buying some chocolate sauce to squirt over a few slices to eat half frozen when I get sweet cravings though.

I think it's Pete that has a recipe on here for ice cream that he makes using frozen bananas.

What a good idea... For some reason is never thought of freezing bananas... I'll have to give it a whirl

Ooo me too... Heard people do it before but never tried it myself

Back