Frugal February

love this thread i am always on a money saving mission i only really shop at my local co op now i bet your all thinking wow expensive well actually no its just up the road and almost everything has a reduced sticker on it that i buy nets of tangerines for 20 p big bags of baking potatoes for under a pound almost all my veg meat and bread is reduced to clear and i buy value staples like beans and tinned toms i prob only spend £40 a week if that and that includes other household items and we eat really well any leftovers are frozen for meals for me for work only this morn i got a bag of onions for 30p and lots of wholemeal bread for the freezer i love doing reduced shopping as i never know what im gonna find so it stops me getting into a rut with meals i started out of necessity as my hubby gave up work to look after our son try it it becomes an addiction ive got friends and my mum hooked but you need a freezer to reduced shop to the extreme but i got one of freecycle for FREE

So... £150 starting with... Sainsburys shop (meat, Quorn, nappies for the month etc) £60, & aldi weekly bits £15 so £75 left for fruit, veg & milk for the remaining 3 weeks but hoping I'll be able to get it for £15 a week & have a £30 surplus... Fingers crossed!!! x

I am really rubbish at budgeting but I am going to try to eat low cost and track how much I spend,I spent 50 on a full shop this includes all cleaning products,washing powder and nappies which should last the month so I will not be being these again plus enough cereal for the month so fingers crossed

love this thread i am always on a money saving mission i only really shop at my local co op now i bet your all thinking wow expensive well actually no its just up the road and almost everything has a reduced sticker on it that i buy nets of tangerines for 20 p big bags of baking potatoes for under a pound almost all my veg meat and bread is reduced to clear and i buy value staples like beans and tinned toms i prob only spend £40 a week if that and that includes other household items and we eat really well any leftovers are frozen for meals for me for work only this morn i got a bag of onions for 30p and lots of wholemeal bread for the freezer i love doing reduced shopping as i never know what im gonna find so it stops me getting into a rut with meals i started out of necessity as my hubby gave up work to look after our son try it it becomes an addiction ive got friends and my mum hooked but you need a freezer to reduced shop to the extreme but i got one of freecycle for FREE

i work for the co-op so when i work on an evening i look out for bargains, same at sainsburys down the road i go there on an evening and get things for 20p. i love bargains

count me in! we normally spend about £50-60 a week. so i have told OH that we are only spending £150 this month, £37.50 a week. he is quite up for the challenge. i will be digging out my calculator ready for shopping on friday.
we would like some new sofa's so any money saved will be put towards that!

Ok, so pretty much a week in and still seem to have loads of food in the fridge. Veg box arrived this morning, so well stocked on that, and spent £17.50 in the Co-op on yoghurts and bits for the kids, fruit, bread, milk, diet coke etc. Really confident that I wont have to spend any more this week, which is a result. If I'd gone to Tescos to get this, I'm sure I'd have ended up buying loads of other stuff and spending double that at least. Going to be having a taekaway tonight, which seems like cheating, but can't get OH to give up his Friday night Chinese. He's paying though ;-).

Went inti asda and got 2 bags if apples.
Didn't notice until I got to the car that they were 2 for £2 rather than the advertised £1.25, so bonus. :)

Sent from my iPod touch using MiniMins

What's this veg box everyone keeps on about?

Getting a box of organic fruit and veg delivered to you every week. You don't get much of say in what you get, it's what is in season and available at the time. Lots of companies/farms do it so there may be one near you.

Isn't that expensive though?
Organic usually costs more.
I can walk to the veg shop and Market to get a huge cabbage for 29p on a Saturday.

ColJack said:
I can walk to the veg shop and Market to get a huge cabbage for 29p on a Saturday.

It is a bit more expensive. A box for 2 people, who are following SW is about £20 I reckon, & you pretty much get what you're given. We stopped getting ours when we had to start googling things to figure out what stuff was!

I get mine from a little local farm/company. I've given them a list of what we like, so although we don't know exactly what we are going to get each week, we hardly ever get stuff we don't use.

I usually get 2kg potatoes, mushrooms onions, carrots, and a two or three other things - either parsnips, red pepper, leek, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce etc etc.

All this plus 12 free range eggs sets me back £13. I probably could get it cheaper in the supermarket, especially Aldi, but the quality of the veg in the box is fab, and I like the fact that I am supporting local farmers and keeping the air miles down. I stopped getting the fruit from them, though, as a lot of the stuff the kids like was imported anyway (e.g. bananas, oranges), so might as well get it from the supermarket.

But who will dutifully push the trolley round behind you and look bored then ?

Chipmunk89 said:
I used to order online but I haven't in ages despite it being cheaper because I hate that you never know the quality/dates of what they're going to send you. I got tired of being sent bread that only had a day left, and that was supposed to last me all week - and veg of questionable quality too. I only have a tiny freezer at the moment so I can't even freeze stuff until I need to use it :( Really, really need to get my hands on a cheap chest freezer.

This is what puts me off, or one ingredient for a recipe not turning up! I'm far too much of a control freak! Lol

Bunnylush said:
This is what puts me off, or one ingredient for a recipe not turning up! I'm far too much of a control freak! Lol

Yeah, I got my shopping delivered this week for the first time in a long time to see if it had changed at all. Thankfully most of the stuff had good dates on it. But something was missing which means ill have to pop out tomorrow to pick it up. It's convenient to do if you're unable to go out for some reason and it does stop you from buying things just because they're on offer but I think ill stick to doing my shopping in store for now.

I used to order online but I haven't in ages despite it being cheaper because I hate that you never know the quality/dates of what they're going to send you. I got tired of being sent bread that only had a day left, and that was supposed to last me all week - and veg of questionable quality too. I only have a tiny freezer at the moment so I can't even freeze stuff until I need to use it :( Really, really need to get my hands on a cheap chest freezer.

Why do not you sign up on freecycle.com and join a team in your area. Then you can put a request for a freezer that is working and hopefully someone has one that they no longer require. A lot of times because people are moving or they have got a new one.This allows recycling of goods and stops landfill. When we moved I advertised all the things that we did not need (carpet, curtains, mirrors, wardrobes,cushions, tele......) and people who wanted them came and collected.

Why do not you sign up on freecycle.com and join a team in your area. Then you can put a request for a freezer that is working and hopefully someone has one that they no longer require. A lot of times because people are moving or they have got a new one.This allows recycling of goods and stops landfill. When we moved I advertised all the things that we did not need (carpet, curtains, mirrors, wardrobes,cushions, tele......) and people who wanted them came and collected.

Thanks for the advice, I have done just that :) *crosses fingers*

Back