Frugal February

my fave thing to do with pork steaks is to dip them in a whisked up egg and then coat them in dry stuffing mix and bake them in the oven.....yummy

oh my days im crap at this stretching thing :(

i have a chicken we've used the breasts and 2 legs
theres a fair bit of meat left on the bones but uusually i thow it away

and im ashamed to say i wouldnt have a clue what to do with the remains :eek:

any ideas guys

Boil it use the juice as stock and meat for stir fry or soup. You'll be amazed how much meat you get out of it.

I bought a special pack from the butchers yesterday

2lbs smoked back bacon
2lbs skinless chicken breasts
2lbs braising steak ( he had run out so he gave me rump instead :D)
2lbs Pork steaks
2lbs chipolatas
2lbs best mince

All for £20, I have always used his chipolatas and mince as zero fat comes out of either. The only thing I dont normally use is pork steaks.I have done a menu plan and I cant think of anything to do with the pork. I'm an ok cook and have all the gagets.

Going to do stifado sw style with the rump.
Stir fry and then stuffed chicken breasts with the chicken.
Going to syn a yorkshire batter and do toad in the hole with the sausages.The leftovers for a breakfast.
Bacon will be used twice for a sw friendly carbonara and then a breakfast.The mince will go twice used once for chilli and another time for lasange.In all the £20 of meat shout make at least 9 meals for 5 of us so thats pretty good I thought.

Any recipe ideas anyone for the pork i'm a bit stuck?

Bargain price & all sounds yummy although had to google to find out what stifado was lol

For pork - whatabout sw sweet & sour or my hubby likes pork with a sw bbq sauce.

Have a great week x

Piri piri pork is good. I've made pork,mushroom,veg chow mien tonight.

Attachments

• image-3615506580.jpg
    image-3615506580.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 38
Isn't stifado just spicy stew in the oven? ( traditionally in a clay pot but more offer ton foil now. )

Sent from my iPod touch using MiniMins

Isn't stifado just spicy stew in the oven? ( traditionally in a clay pot but more offer ton foil now. )

Probably! We have a old family one we use which is from a Italian part of the family!

I use a piece steak and an onion and fry it off in frilight and garlic add alot of it and rosemary. Then throw in tin toms, bit of tom puree and I add a glass of red wine and then throw it in the oven for an age!

Yup, that's the one. It's Greek though.
Try using baby onions ( the silverskin ones they use to pickle.), very nice and sweet.

Great ideas for the pork, thanks everyone.

Meal plan all done for another week and only need to buy a few fresh bits :)

Blown it totally this week :mad:.

Had to go and get party bits for my sons' joint birthday bash this Saturday and ended up spending a shed load on prizes, party bags, nibbles and general food. Even if I take the 'over and above' party stuff off, I've still well and truly blown the budget for the food shop. What is it about me and supermarkets!!

Anyway. Not giving up, but starting again. I have six weeks until we go away and I'm pledging total self restraint between now and then - not a penny will be unaccounted for, and every scrap of food will be used. :)

Essential spending only for Lent.

Well I've got my date for hol now and I need to save. Next week I can tot up my food receipts and set my budget for the next three months.

I must be really sad.
I prefer a week at home with all the comforts it provides rather than a week abroad with all the hassle of packing, traveling, sleeping in a dodgy bed who's sheets are questionable, no Internet and ridiculous roaming charges, getting drunk enough every night to throw up and spending the next day sleeping it off in the much too hot sun while slowly cooking yourself to the same shade of red as the lobster you'll order at some point just to try it.

Ahh but this is no ordinary holiday. Firstly I've not had one for eight years. Secondly this is to go and meet my man in Dubai who is on a 7 month naval deployment around Somalia.

I like home too lol.

****NEWS FLASH****

Muller lights multipacks, only £1.50 in asda!!!

ailly said:
****NEWS FLASH****

Muller lights multipacks, only £1.50 in asda!!!

Called for some if these but our asda express had no multipacks in :(

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Oh no that's a pity. I managed to get 5 packets, would have bought more as well dated but was getting on a bus and didn't want to carry them! Will be a good saving, oh is going through min 3 a day and I go between 1 and 2!

Sent from my Desire HD using MiniMins

Lucia Lucia said:
Great ideas for the pork, thanks everyone.

Or you could cook pork and tomato savoury.
Fry some onions in fry light, add a touch of worc sauce, add the pork and when cooked a tin of chopped tomatoes. heat through and season with salt and pepper to taste. Then add a couple of drops of Tabasco sauce, obviously to personal taste. Cook through before adding a little Tom puree and then serve on a bed of spaghetti. Very filling and can be eaten on green day using your pork as a HE or on EE with a pile of broccoli on the side.
We had this all the time as kids with leftover pork from the roast the day before and loved it.

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

Back