Frugal February

I too still have a freezer full of food - I'm def up for another money saving month! I only went over budget about £10 so that was good. Think I should reduce budget though to make me empty the freezer...! x

Still poor so it shall continue into march for sure! X

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

icklerockchick said:
Still poor so it shall continue into march for sure! X

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Definitely has to be a frugal, frugal march for us!!

Snap. They are making redundancies at our place and Im likely for the chop!

oh no...i hope you 'survive'.know what the worry is like though as hubby had it hanging over him at the end of last year and its not nice so big hugs there x

we've had several things come up,its my youngest dd's birthday in a month and now we've had some bad news which will require money too so a full on freezer,cupboard itinery to be done here and as frugal shopping as possible when needed to scrimp all the money we can together.

Thanks. It's not looking good after today. Hundreds of job cuts, in two phases. If im honest id rather go first. So awkward if you are left hanging.

Need to think of my next move now. If i get garden leave im having a three month gym boot camp!

I'll get myself fit and look awesome! Every cloud eh!

Our company just lost a £4,000,000+ contract.
They've had it for 32 years.
There's a whole section devoted to just that one contract and it's about 1/4 of the entire company turnover.

Sent from my iPod touch using MiniMins

Just spotted this thread and love the money saving ideas. Gonna root through my freezer - haven't seen the bottom for ages.......could be a dead body in there lol

You all inspired me to try to cut my spending. I have no idea what I spend each month, just know it must be almost £1000 for 4 adults maybe even more, so I have been much more frugal. I have used left over chicken and ham in soups instead of throwing away and I am almost to teh bottom of my freezer in my garage.

Thanks so much for this great thread! You've all inspired me to be more careful with money. I set a challenge to only use what we have in this weekend and not buy more food. Ive really enjoyed being a bit more creative and have used ingredients I didn't know I had! We've all eaten well and have made some lunches for the week, without buying anything! Think I'm going to see if I can make it last a couple more days :D xx

Following on from Frugal February, which wasn't as frugal as I had intended, but less frivolous than usual, I have started going to Aldi to get what items I can there, mainly fruit and veg, and then going to Tesco to get the remainder of my shopping, instead of paying through the nose for everything on my list!
And likewise, if it is Asda I am going to go to, I will go to Lidl first.

I don't do a weekly shop, as I can't keep the amount of food in the fridge, so shop on a Monday for Monday and Tuesday, and Wednesday for Wednesday and Thursday, and Friday for Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

The night before I go shopping I plan those days menus and then write my list accordingly, along with all the other household items and toiletries etc that need buying.

I have found that this not only helps me stick to SW, but saves time wandering around thinking what to buy, and means that if on a shopping trip, something is on offer, like a joint of meat, I can buy it, and then fit it into the next menu plan, before it goes out of date or has to go in the freezer.

I know shopping three times a week is not ideal for everyone, but it works for me, as I go after dropping my daughter at school, and am home by nine thirty, even after visiting two supermarkets.

i shop several times a week too ginlin...we have an aldi just across the road from the school so its easy to pop in and top up on fresh stuff as we need and also means we stumble across bargains!

been very frugal so far,a mixture of freezer,aldi and a very good bargainous shop in morrisons the other night!! talk about being in the right place at the right time for fruit and veg reductions - we were so happy!!!

I am not in the U.K. so I am not much help to you but the cost of living ( food-wise) is pretty much the same in both countries.

This thread started as Frugal February and a jolly good thread it is too.

For us we have Frugal Feb. Mean March. Austere April. Meagre May and Jaded June...............what a good job we are so bloomin happy just making ends meet.

My tips are really the obvious ones.........I buy all fruit and veg only when in season and when it is very cheap buy in bulk and freeze either as sauces ( tomatoes, peppers etc.) or as the whole fruit or veg or as soup. I buy meat when it is on its sell buy date and reduced enormously, and freeze that. Time stands still for it when it hits that freezer. I look for as many reductions and offers as I can find and buy those.

Obviously we splash out at times and really treat ourselves. Life would not be worth it without.

Things like wine and beer are much cheaper here but we can live without both.

Our biggest expense is diesel for the car. We try to combine as many things as possible in one trip.

No that is a fib , our biggest expense is our animals, but they are our great joy and pleasure in life and even they have had austerity measures applied to their life style lol !!!

Love the above Sue.......love of my life is my dog and she is currently enjoying a small bone - free from the butchers xx

Back