GALLSTONES!

carolyn01

Hi all, I've been on CD three times, lost weight, put some back on, did the same twice more and now I've been diagnosed with a large gallstone (needs to be removed).

I'd heard before that many people on CD had problems with Gallstones? Has anyone else experienced this?

If so, did you have an operation and how was it?

Hi, I had my gallbladder removed at the tendor age of 19 after suffering for only 6 months. They were the worst 6 months ever, I was so ill and had to have an emergency op because of it but thankfully they managed to do it via keyhole. There is no idea why I got mine as I was so young, only slightly over weight and dark haired.

Ive been told to stay on my diet because I have gallstones and was rushed into hospital two weeks ago, at first because the pain was that bad they thought i was having a mild heart attack. Its the worst pain in the world. It happend when I came off the diet in July from not having naughty to food to being really bad really did me in.

Its nothing to do with CD its what we eat and how we manage our diet since coming back on CD I have not had a moments problem and losing the weight too helps.

I also had my gall bladder removed, also a young age (21) wasnt overweight at all ...mystery

Always wonder what happens without a gall bladder and how we function ...

Hi Carolyn I had my gallbladder removed last year and from what I was told they don't remove the stone anymore (they used to desolve them with sound waves) they just take your gallbladder.
I got my first major attack in May last year and I had only been on CD since the Feb. I was told by my consultant that it wasn't CD but my diet before CD that had caused the stones and that because I'd come off CD for a holiday (the atacked happened the day I got back) it was eating rubbish again that had triggered the attack.
Hope they get it sorted for you soon hun believe me I know exactly how unpleasent it is to live with.:eek:

I too had gallstones after doing the diet, had my gall bladder removed about 3 years ago. Its not uncommon after a vlcd, but there is some debate as to the causes x

Hi Carolyn I had my gallbladder removed last year and from what I was told they don't remove the stone anymore (they used to desolve them with sound waves) they just take your gallbladder.
I got my first major attack in May last year and I had only been on CD since the Feb. I was told by my consultant that it wasn't CD but my diet before CD that had caused the stones and that because I'd come off CD for a holiday (the atacked happened the day I got back) it was eating rubbish again that had triggered the attack.
Hope they get it sorted for you soon hun believe me I know exactly how unpleasent it is to live with.:eek:

Thats exactly what happened to me, so far so good though, just waiting for the Op now but CD is helping lots.

Hope you get it sorted soon x

Had mine removed 4 yrs ago after 18mths of agony which started after a period of doing the Atkins diet, another ketogenic diet. Generally the jurys still out i think on if/how the diets can contribute. But generally overweight females are at higher risk of developing it anyway. Laparoscopic cholecystectomy is the most common procedure to treat gallstones, which is basically removal of the gallbladder via keyhole surgery. There are some risks that it may need to be converted to open surgery but its not that common. Loads of sites on internet will give you the details. All the best in getting treatment. (A friend of mine attended A+E several times with the agony she was in and ended up geting it done as an emergency, avoiding the waiting list!) xx

I had mine out last year. Started getting gallbladder troubles well into maintenance. My consultant didn't blame the diet at all, and when I had the op, the ward was full of ladies, none who had ever done a VLCD.

I delayed the op for ages as I hate missing work, but couldn't stand it any longer and was told that it was unlikely to ever sort itself out. So very pleased I had it taken out.

The op was straightforward and was on the mend in no time and back to work :clap:

Thanks to everyone who replied, it has put my mind at rest.

Just wondered as Im a childminder, does anyone know how long i'd have to have off work as if I don't work I don't get paid. Also how long before you can drive again?

Thanks everyone. :)

I was only off for 2 weeks post op. I know if they can't do it via keyhole they tell you about 6 weeks off work

Thanks to everyone who replied, it has put my mind at rest.

Just wondered as Im a childminder, does anyone know how long i'd have to have off work as if I don't work I don't get paid. Also how long before you can drive again?

Thanks everyone. :)

Good question im a childminder too, thats the downside of our job isn't.

I was driving the same week i came out of hospital had a job with a car but that was naughty lol i'd already had 2 weeks in hospital though as had lots of complications aswell as gallstones.

My job now is also driving and i know how hard it is :(

get well soon x

I had problems even getting up without help for around 2 weeks but then I got a lot better really quickly and within a couple of days I was waltzing around like nothing had happened.
I think everyone is different to be honest, I don't tend to heal very quickly so it took me longer than average.

Back