Gary speed Wales manager dies age 42

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissSlinky2011

Silver Member
How sad is this? Can't believe he has died so young! And he was doing so well with the Wales team :(

Sent from my HTC Desire using MiniMins x x x

Devastated, as a massive Bolton fan i am not ashamed to admit i have cried over this. To me to take your own life is not the cowards way out it takes guts, something this guy had alot of. Just goes to show that you never know what goes on behing a smile and an amazing smile at that. R.I.P Speedo !!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't know they had said it was suicide? They just said there was no foul play ???

Its very sad & so strange as he was on some footy programme yesterday & spoke to his friends and all seemed fine.

Feel so sorry for his family, just before Christmas too...he must've been in a very bad place!! X

True when they say you never know, Stan Collymore's twitter yesterday was all about his depression and how he is not coping, i think in any sport especially football we place these people in such high regard unfortunatley the only way is down

Where were his wife and children when he killed himself

I think its a selfish thing to do leaving those two children without a father I don't care how bad life gets suicide is a cowards way out they never think about the mess they are leaving behind them. I know some of you won't agree with me but I'm entitled to my opinion.

MissSlinky2011 said:
I think its a selfish thing to do leaving those two children without a father I don't care how bad life gets suicide is a cowards way out they never think about the mess they are leaving behind them. I know some of you won't agree with me but I'm entitled to my opinion.

I actually think that its an incredibly brave thing to do. I suffer with depression and have at various points in my life felt that there was no hope for me left and that my family and friends would be better off with me not in their lives, but I am fortunately too much of a coward to go through with it.

What you have to remember is that someone who is in that state has a very skewed view of reality. They can't see that there is an alternative. The tunnel is so dark and endless that you don't have the ability to know or feel that there are people out there who care for you and will be devastated by you not being around any more. Yes, by definition it is a selfish act, because you can't see beyond how absolutely bloody awful you feel, but that is part of the illness. You are absolutely certain that those people would be better off with you.

You are entitled to your opinion of course, but it is much easier to understand and form an opinion when you have walked a mile in that persons shoes.

You know what, there's been various posts on fb today bout this.

Some similarly to what you've said missslinky2011, one even saying how a soldier had been reported dead this afternoon, and the poster of that one went on to say how they had more respect for the soldier etc etc.

At the end of the day, someone has died. That in itself is tragic. The whys and whatnots should not and do not matter.

I also refuse to accept that suicide is a cowards way out. It's not big and it's not clever, but I really can't imagine it to be too easy. Somebody has to be in a seriously bad place to think that they're better off dead than they are alive.

ATEOD, somebody is dead. Can we not just all respect that and come on here to wish his family well and that he RIP.

Sorry about the rant but I really don't think now is the time or place to be discussing a tragic loss in such a way.

I'm sorry madamelaminx but don't assume you know anything about me I have tried to commit suicide twice once by taking an overdose which I promptly made myself threw up after realising what I would be doing to my family and the second by sitting my wrists. I drove myself to the hospital to get stitched back up because I realised what a coward I was being and how selfish I was.

So I do know what its like to be in that position and I do know what its like to be depressed but as I was thank god unsuccessful twice I discovered how amazing life could be and I get a daily reminder overtime I look at my wrists of how stupid and selfish and cowardly I used to be.

Sorry didn't mean to come across so defensive nobody knows what anyone had really been through in their lives but after surviving suicide its easy to know its never the answer unfortunately for someone like Gary speed he will never get to find that out.

i am sorry but it is not a cowards way out especially the way he did it, he chose an option of no return. I am sorry you have felt the way have but we will never know why he did it

It was a long time ago when I felt like that I was 17 the last time I tried and never will again. Nothing in life is so terrible that I would feel that way again you may not agree with me that suicide is cowardly but you have to see how utterly selfish an act it is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back