Gastric Bypass Surgery - Is it the easy way out?

I'd just like to say, and I base this merely on observation, threads/posts based on third parties often go this way.

Could your friend not come on here and join our little community?

Is she aware her details are being discussed on an open forum?

Maybe if she had a look and got the benefit of our support and wisdom it might just be worth a try?

Good luck to you both whatever is decided. Everyone deserves to get to where they want to be.

Let's just clarify this - I did not say anything about being a "bad friend". Never said that at all.

And I didn't say that you were talking behind her back. I asked whether you spoke to her the way you spoke about her. Asked. Not said.

I do apologise because what I was trying to do, which was to get you to think a bit, has caused such a dreadful fuss.

I withdraw all my remarks and comments. Please ignore what I have said, and forget about it. I had no business in commenting.

I don't see a gastric band as an easy way out, but I can understand why people might. It takes away your control to make the changes yourself I guess..

From what I understand though, there is still a chance of gaining the weight back anyway so even if she did get it, it might be worth suggesting seeing a counsellor to figure out why she overeats in the first place? Surely the Drs ought to make her see someone before having the surgery? It would be rather irresponsible of them not to :S

I really hope your friend gets the help she needs, she must be really struggling with herself to be thinking of having surgery. & I don't think you're being a bad friend, just someone who's (understandably) worried & at the end of your tether.

Re: Surely the Drs ought to make her see someone before having the surgery? It would be rather irresponsible of them not to :S

My sister never saw anyone and she went for a bypass over a band. Now she has a stomach the size of an egg and struggling to comfort eat. None of her 'weight management class' have had therapy either... they've just had their surgery booked....xx

My sister never saw anyone and she went for a bypass over a band. Now she has a stomach the size of an egg and struggling to comfort eat. None of her 'weight management class' have had therapy either... they've just had their surgery booked....xx

That's really sad. Is this with the NHS or privately? I think that anyone opting for major surgery like that should be offered some sort of support. The same for plastic surgery, yes you might have the breasts/nose/stomach etc you want, but did it take away the problems that you thought it would?

Can I just post 3 example of band-wearers I personally know of.

The first girl, it has saved her life. She was morbidly obese and could barely walk, out of breath and waiting to die. She is now a shadow of herself, very mobile and in my opinion what life-saving ops are all about.

Second one, another girl, lost shed-loads of weight but has not lost as much as she could have or should have. She now melts chocolate to get it down that way. Much better of course, but the food problem is still an issue.

The third person, a guy, prefers liquid refreshment - in the form of Guinness! - he also fills his little portion of stomach and is then physically ill to make room for more. His weight loss is minimal. I only assume somehow fats are getting in there, of course I'm no expert.

I've known two people much larger than numbers two and three above who have lost more than half their bodyweight by "conventional" methods, only to regain it all (and more).

Who knows what triggers this - we are all wired-up differently and can all have opinions.

I think we all know, merely by virtue of being on this forum, just how difficult it can be.

Back