Gastroscopy / Endoscopy Experiences

gsp5790

Hi all,

I'm being investigated for coeliac disease (gluten intolerance) and I have been booked in for a gastroscopy so they can take some biopsies of my small bowel to test for coeliac. The thing is, I'm worrying myself sick over it. Whenever I think about it or do some research about it, I end up a crying mess and I get really panicky. I know that not everyone looks forward to a gastroscopy but I'm absolutely terrified. I'm concerned that because of how worried I am, the sedative they give me won't work to its full capacity and that I'll still be very aware of what's happening and that I'll be restrained and crying and really distraught. I am sorry if I seem OTT but it's really upsetting me. I know it needs to be done but I can't help my feelings. A friend I know has had one with the sedative and she said the next thing she knew she was in the recovery area but I can't help feeling that that won't be the case with me.

I'd appreciate anyone's advice or experiences (good and bad) as I like to be fully informed and prepared. I have researched on the NHS websites etc but people are more likely to write reviews if they've had a bad experience rather than a good one and when I finished reading the NHS choices (I think) website I was in bits!

Thanks
=)

I was offered those tests and declined because I knew I wouldn't be able to cope with them. I am managing my symptoms by not having dairy or much gluten and not having high fat foods and it has helped a lot.

My dad's had a gastroscopy twice and said he was someone who needed more sedation than they initially gave but once they gave him more it was fine and he didn't remember it.

Also when I was tested for coeliac they did a blood test, did they not do that for you?

Hi how anxious you are won't make a difference to the effectiveness of the sedation. Tho I would make sure you explain to them how anxious you are and they can give you the higher end of the range of sedative. You can have.xxx

Hi I had to go for an endoscopy and was really worried as I gag even swallowing tablets. I really needn't have worried. Even though I'd planned to have sedation it wasn't advised as I had a reaction to sleeping tablets once. So I had to just have it done. The nurses were wonderful and it was over so quickly and I went home. I really believe the fear was far worse than the experience, and if I had to have another one, I can't say I'd look forward to it, it is a bit uncomfortable, but I wouldn't hesitate to get it done. Good luck. xx

Also when I was tested for coeliac they did a blood test, did they not do that for you?

Yes, they did a routine test as I went to the doctors saying I was tired all the time. He wasn't expecting the coeliac antibodies to be so significant so he sent me for another one which still had the same results, so I was referred to my local hospital.

Thanks for your replies though, I appreciate it!

I just had my biopsy done 2 weeks ago. I was very terrified going in but it was grand!
I chose to go for the sedative obviously coz who'd really do that fully awake! Lol
Step by step here's what happened (or what I remember)
1) put gown on over my clothes and kept shoes on and everything. Lip piercing left in too
2) wheeled into the op room and a needle put in my arm, all was still fine.
3) they put a plastic guard into your mouth to keep your mouth open and then put the little oxygen tube under your nose.
4) the sedative is given through the needle in your arm which I can only remember around 30 seconds of!
5) next thing I know is they're telling me it's over. Less than 5 mins later. I have no memory if the tube going in or out, didn't hear anything that was bring said while it was done. Absolutely nothing!
6) you'll be kept for an hour to let the sedative wear off and then given what will hopefully be your last slice of toast!
7) I was then brought into a room with the dr and my husband to chat about what they saw. My brain was too foggy to think so it was lucky he was there to listen!
8) you'll sleep like a baby when you get home. Your throat might feel a little tender but mine was grand. You might be very gassy afterwards too as they put air into you during the test.

Explain how worried you are and I'm sure they'll put your mind at ease. When is your test?

Thanks MrsMcG for all the info, it's really helped seeing the experiences of someone who was fine with it! I've had my gallbladder out so I know about being gassy afterwards! My test is on 28th May and it's during half term so I won't be at work so can rest happily.

I wish I had had someone to talk to before I had it done but honestly I'd do it again today if I had to but try and get me to the dentist! Lol
Just try and look at it as an end to being sick, and horrible symptoms. I haven't felt like me for a long time and I'm slowly coming back!

Oh and they told me that EVERYONE coughs and gags a bit when the tube goes in. I don't remember doing it but I think they warn you just in case you don't get the sedation. You won't believe how quick it all is!

My mum had had one up the bum as they say lol she was out of it. She didn't remember anything me taking her home or talking to me after so I wouldn't worry and she also had a biopsy on her lungs fri just gone. Was quick she was out within 30 mins in rest area x

Back