Get to slinky again and staying there ......

AliGal

Eating meat
This third lockdown, I've put more weight on. I'm not sure why I gained another 10 lbs - as I don't think I've been eating more. A lot of financial stress. So I am back.

From December 2011 - August 2012, I shed 8 stone, using shakes, and was 13st 5lbs. I was in size 14 jeans, wearing size 14s and 16s, depending on the brand. It was great. "I love my new wardrobe which include knee length boots. I've found TK Maxx in rich areas in London is a great hunting ground - much better than TK Maxx in county towns. I just got the most lovely suiting (fitted dress, trousers and jacket) from Damsel in a dress online sale that looks great with my curves. I'm wearing my high heeled shoes again. No new shoes apart from my boots - just rediscovering my existing shoes."

Most of those clothes are in my cupboard so in a year I will be wearing them again.

I said I would maintain - and I didn't. I didn't put the same effort and daily attention into maintaining. Over the past 9 years, I've regained, zig zagged a few times and now - more.

So I started low carb/keto on Monday 22 March at 316.8. I've chosen low carb - because I can sustain it, no extra cost & I think it will help me maintain. 3 days on - I am 3.5lbs down as the glycogen sheds water.

132lbs to shed in total -so only 128.5 to go!

Here I am getting back to slinky and this time - staying there.

Welcome back Ali - it's been hard on everyone and we're all mostly here because we're emotional eaters, so it's no surprise that we're all gaining weight.

You can do it hun! I'm about half a stone heavier, so let's whip this thing into shape together xx

Hi, welcome back . Good luck with the new plan. I restarted last week but going with the Slim & save diet this time around. Here's to a good week.

Thank you, both! Good to be welcomed back.

I am off to a good start 3.5lbs down since Monday. So that gives me momentum to stay on the right path. I've joined a facebook group that has recipes and exercise classes. I did a start up class with them no exercise yet. I know it all from Dietdoctor.com & Jason Fung etc - but good to hear it live, get refocused & have a Q&A. I also follow Eat like a Bear - which is about eating a very large salad and protein daily. I'm eating twice a day - when I'm hungry. I'm eating lovely big salads. No routine.

Well done on the loss so far. I've thought about exercising but I think I'm going to wait until I've been on plan a bit longer but it's a good idea joining a group & especially if it's gives you extra encouragement. What are you adding to the salads?

My salads are inspired by the Eat like a Bear woman - on Facebook and you tube. I shed some weight last year eating like a bear - but self sabotaged and stopped.

So yesterday I had my Brexit lockdown discovery - iceberg lettuce. For a long time in January, the supermarkets had no cos or little gem so I had iceberg. Much nicer than I remember it being. So I have a chopped salad. I slice the iceberg thinly and cut it cross ways too.

Then I add whatever I have - red & yellow peppers, cucumber, radish, fennel, celery, spring onions, all sliced up to the size of a little finger nail, maybe a little finely shredded red or white cabbage, parsley, basil, cress or some bagged salad leaves ( i chop them too). I'm going to grow some pea shoots & microgreens this summer too.

I may add some grated carrot or some quartered small tomatoes that I've had in the fridge in vinagrette (olive oil, mustard, salt, pepper, apple cider vinegar with or without some xylitol sweetener). A bit higher carb - but great for diversity and eating the rainbow.

Sometimes I have some roasted some veg - courgette, aubergine, peppers, fennel, shallots, garlic, cabbage slices.

I'll add some protein. I often have hard boiled eggs. I bought one of those egg cookers - so the house no longer gets steamed up by me boiling eggs. I'll usually have 2. They peel more easily than pan boiled eggs. I slice them n my mum's egg slicer, and then turn it run and slice the other way. Other times, I may have 2 roasted chicken thighs (skin on). I like them hot - and also good cold.

Mince makes a sort of taco without the shell if you use taco type spices, greek with oregano, Italian with a bit of tomato paste and thyme.

Bacon. Meat balls. Ham. Hamburger or lamb burger. Hot or cold.

White fish or sardines (usually blitz the sardines with their oil, skin and bones - so more a pate). No farmed salmon. It's a filthy industry.

I'll have some fat with it - mayo mixed with soured cream is my favorite. I sour some cream with lemon juice, and mix an olive oil based mayo half and half, and keep in the fridge. I use less than thought would. I'll mix a spoonful or two, through the salad and egg. I might have some of the vinagrette from the tomatoes - which makes it tomatoey - so might not have the toms that salad. Maybe some walnuts or other nuts or walnuts.

I've also done red or white coleslaws - again very finely shredded, no raisins, Maybe a scant amount of apple, lots of celery and a few walnuts and mayo for a spoonful of waldorf salad.

Welcome to my rainbow world of ridiculously big salads!!

My salads are inspired by the Eat like a Bear woman - on Facebook and you tube. I shed some weight last year eating like a bear - but self sabotaged and stopped.

So yesterday I had my Brexit lockdown discovery - iceberg lettuce. For a long time in January, the supermarkets had no cos or little gem so I had iceberg. Much nicer than I remember it being. So I have a chopped salad. I slice the iceberg thinly and cut it cross ways too.

Then I add whatever I have - red & yellow peppers, cucumber, radish, fennel, celery, spring onions, all sliced up to the size of a little finger nail, maybe a little finely shredded red or white cabbage, parsley, basil, cress or some bagged salad leaves ( i chop them too). I'm going to grow some pea shoots & microgreens this summer too.

I may add some grated carrot or some quartered small tomatoes that I've had in the fridge in vinagrette (olive oil, mustard, salt, pepper, apple cider vinegar with or without some xylitol sweetener). A bit higher carb - but great for diversity and eating the rainbow.

Sometimes I have some roasted some veg - courgette, aubergine, peppers, fennel, shallots, garlic, cabbage slices.

I'll add some protein. I often have hard boiled eggs. I bought one of those egg cookers - so the house no longer gets steamed up by me boiling eggs. I'll usually have 2. They peel more easily than pan boiled eggs. I slice them n my mum's egg slicer, and then turn it run and slice the other way. Other times, I may have 2 roasted chicken thighs (skin on). I like them hot - and also good cold.

Mince makes a sort of taco without the shell if you use taco type spices, greek with oregano, Italian with a bit of tomato paste and thyme.

Bacon. Meat balls. Ham. Hamburger or lamb burger. Hot or cold.

White fish or sardines (usually blitz the sardines with their oil, skin and bones - so more a pate). No farmed salmon. It's a filthy industry.

I'll have some fat with it - mayo mixed with soured cream is my favorite. I sour some cream with lemon juice, and mix an olive oil based mayo half and half, and keep in the fridge. I use less than thought would. I'll mix a spoonful or two, through the salad and egg. I might have some of the vinagrette from the tomatoes - which makes it tomatoey - so might not have the toms that salad. Maybe some walnuts or other nuts or walnuts.

I've also done red or white coleslaws - again very finely shredded, no raisins, Maybe a scant amount of apple, lots of celery and a few walnuts and mayo for a spoonful of waldorf salad.

Welcome to my rainbow world of ridiculously big salads!!
That's a nice read. You can tell from the detail in this post that you enjoy preparing food & know how to approach this in a healthy way. I love roasted veg with garlic especially the courgettes.

I am hoping to grow some courgettes this summer. The hope is because our water is metered and finances are tough, so they will only get washing up water! So if we have another droughted summer, they won't flourish.

I am hoping to grow some courgettes this summer. The hope is because our water is metered and finances are tough, so they will only get washing up water! So if we have another droughted summer, they won't flourish.
We are very lucky here as we have no water meter. I'd quite like to try growing some leeks as they go down very well with the food packs.

Day 9. Started Keto/low carb 22.3.21 start weight 318.6 I target loss 134.8lbs I down 8.8lbs I 126lbs total to go.

That's the first half stone and a bit gone. Only 9 stone left to shed! I'm now under 50 BMI.

This time I know it is possible - because I did it with vlcds 8 years ago.

This time I will stay at goal as I will eat my way there - and know how to eat to stay there.

I'm already easier in the morning - feet are looser in my Lidl crocs. hope my hips will stop aching - and I'll be moving with more ease and grace. Now It's tough to get up off the floor if I've been on my hands and knees gardening or cleaning. I need to regain flexibility and be able to run up and down stairs so I am still in good shape in 30 years in my 90s!

At 2lbs a week, I will be at goal next June. I have my thinner clothes in the wardrobe - so will slink my way through the jeans sizes again - this time without shopping for them Shop my closet. Or rather unpack the bags on the floor of my closet.

Well done on reaching your first half stone lost and lowering your BMI. I can relate about 10 years ago I lost over 8 stone. Then self sabotage on maintenance this time once the weight has shifted need to be more mindful. It is really good that already you are seeing the benefits. The none scale victories are just as sweet. The little milestones along the way help you keep you motivated.

you're doing fabulous. I lost around 5st years ago too on a vlcd, it's so hard to keep off.

I love the eating like a bear idea!

The Eating Like a Bear lady is brilliant! She's in her 50s and no nonsense. She'll say thing like you just have get on with it and put up with some hunger. I caught her youtube live last night. Very practical. She's lost over 100lbs eating ridiculously big salads once a day. There are over 75 people in the FB group who have lost more than 100lbs.

I'm eating twice a day at the mo - and more protein and fat than she'd recommend. She's so clear that when you fast (ie don't eat all the time - maybe eat only within 8 hours or a shorter window like 6 or 4 hours (or once), your body is using yr fat - that eating you did earlier.

I like that she's just an ordinary woman (well i think she's probably had a high flying career) - and not a you tube babe or a male fitness trainer.

Yeah I'll go have a look for her. The advice about a shorter eating window is recommended with most using keto, I like the way Jason Fung explains stuff as well. I think we all just have to find what suits us and not worry about fitting into boxes.

She recommends Jason Fung - he's great. I'd already found him. I just wasn't in the right mindset to stay at it. I am now.

I just listened to Jason Fung today do a 90 minute talk at Low Carb Down Under about about the history of calorie counting and low carb. I like www.dietdoctor.com too - and just found keto fitness club on Facebook - useful as it's UK based.

Eating keto makes it much easier for me not to eat at breakfast as I'm just not hungry.

I've been listening to his videos as well from low carb down under. There is one where he and a colleague both speak regarding polycystic ovaries which was great for me as a sufferer. I love the diet doctor site as well, I may pay for membership down the line but just can't spend at the moment.

In the Obesity code book, I really like the way Jason Fung actually explains all of the science and all of the trials, and puts the numbers into context and perspective (I'm a numbers geek). In the end I also like that he doesn't suggest a particular diet that would earn him any cash, obviously I know he earns money at his clinic and from book sales - but he gives away so much information for free. I'm a definite fan of his now. (I sound so gushy and teenage lol)

That's a great loss Ali. Well done. Feeling the health benefits makes everything worth the effort. I tend to fast naturally as normally only eat twice a day when on normal foods so having 4 packs a day is a bit of a challenge.

I can so relate to getting up off of the floor. I think that was the moment I realised how much my weight had gone up rather than it being my age. Enough of excuses.

Thanks. I'll take a look. I thought about setting up a resources thread on the keto sub forum.

I went up a 1lb yesterday and down .4lb this am so net 0.6lbs up this am. Such are the joys of daily weighing!

Back