getting back on it

Emms24

Hi guys,

As some of you will know from reading my diary I have been very unwell recently. A
Couple of cases of tonsilitis an then appendicitis. So I've been in hopsital for five days and had surgery to had my appendix removed. I'm back home now but I'm still not 100%.

I had no food before my op for at least 48 hours - mainly because I'd been Ill and vomitting before I was admitted to hopsital and after coming round from my op I had to eat the lovely hopsital foods which did involve carbs.

Anyway, I'm staying with my dad for a few days (some of you will know he is also a dukaneer in consolidation) so he will be looking after me. I've been talking to him and we have decided I should not do any PP days for a while and should make sure
I eat plenty of goodness. For example last night I had a nice big bowl of liver with onions, brocoli, cauliflower and carrots to build me up. He has also suggested allowing myself some fruit for a few days and to be honest I would love an orange - all that vitamin C! I don't wanna lose weight while I'm recovering as I don't think that's fair on my body after all it's been through.

I'm having my first bit of oatbran again in ages, I've actually missed it! Lol. I'm eating it as I type. Yay!

So I'm just wondering whether anyone has had a similar experience - I don't mean appendicitis but I mean being ill and unable to stick to the diet because you need to recover. I really don't want to do attack and start all over again I've lost 2 and a half stone and I really cannot see there being any benefit to doing that again and putting my body through it again. Would you agree that once I'm better and back at work I should just go back to alternating PPs with PVs? Without doing attack?

I would be grateful for any help you have.

Thank you. X

I am no expert - so i am only going with What I would do in your position! I would go straight into cruise and pick up where you left off, providing you have the strength though. Hopefully Atropos, mmouse, maintainer, topaz the other dukan legends will reply with their extensive knowledge! :)
But, welcome back, I really admire you for getting "back on the horse" so quickly!! :)
Xxx

Hi Emma,

welcome 'back' and we're all glad to hear you're on the mend. I agree - there is no point in doing attack, and for now your plan sounds eminently sensible. In fact have a look at the Conso rules - you should not gain whilst following those, but they allow you a bit more freedom and room for recovery - including that fruit and vitamins an fibre through your daily veg - whilst making sure you don't go off the rails undoing all your hard-earned losses to date because you're suddenly 'free'.

Especially as you've been quite ill and your digestion has been derailed a bit I'd not go any stricter than conso phase I (possibly without the Gala but with two carb meals instead) until you feel properly recovered, at that point you can resume your PP/PVs... Have you got the book? I think he discusses doing Dukan in Pregnancy somewhere, you might get some pointers there.

Hi guys,

I do have the book yes but I don't have it with me as everything is in my flat and I'm staying with my dad. I think he still has the book somewhere though so will give it a read.

I definately think consolidation for a while may be a good idea. My dad has made me bacon (fat cut off) and egg for lunch and I've had a nice big glass of fresh orange - tht makes me feel loads better when I am ill. I'm gonna have some fruit this aft and my dad is now really excited about making rhubarb muffins and crumble after reading through the recipe threads on here lol.

He is going shopping today and then we are going 'to get cooking' apparently. I am so pleased I'm staying with him so he can keep me on track so I don't go too far away from dukan.

Thank you for your suggestions. I'll defo not go back to cruise until I'm 100% up and running again and defo no attack again. My priority at the minute is getting better and keeping off what I have lost :) x

So glad to hear you are on the mend - and you have clearly have an awesome dad!

I'm going to second what Anja suggested - that you follow the conso guidelines and add in two starch meals, fruit, whole grains, cheese etc, until you really feel ready to tackle cruise again. (I might skip the conso pp thursday though...)

Definitely no attack before you go back to cruise.

Good luck and take good care of yourself.

As a mum of a child that had severe glandular fever where she was bed ridden for 3 months I would say the most important thing is to build up your body before you consider loosing weight again. The Dukan diet itself is very good and it seems like your dad knows the rules and is looking after you well (a bit jealous I must say). You need to regain your health, get some serious vitamins in you and let your body heal. Then I would go back to cruise and continue.

So sorry to hear about the appendicitis on top of the tonsillitis, but glad the doc fixed you up so you won't be feeling so poorly after the recovery is over! It sounds like you and your dad worked out a good plan. HE sounds like a great dad :) Eat healthy, rest, and recover.

Thank you both.

My experienced dukaner father has just come back from shopping with three bags of oatmeal haha instead of oatbran because he didn't have his glasses. Bless him.

I've just showed him the microwave bread and he can't believe it. He is coming up with allsorts of ideas. I'm now showing him the toffee muffins. He is like a child at Christmas.

Gonna have a nice juicy orange soon. Vitamin C yay! X

Glad you're on the mend! I would agree - no need to go back to Attack. The conso idea sounds good to me.

I got really, really sick at Christmas time, and was referred by my doctor to only eat carb-based food for a while - meaning lots of bread, pasta, rice and Rich Tea biscuits!

When I eventually got back to health I had obviously gained somewhat due to my recovery diet, so I had to restart again with the attack phase and then move on accordingly to Cruise again.

Ultimately for you though possibly due to the nature of your illness, as you are post-surgery you understandably don't want to overstress your body any more than you need to. The Conso plan for your recovery is probably sound advice - the fruit especially.

I would think that when the time comes for you to continue the diet properly again I would personally just go back into Cruise and maybe keep your PV days to the lighter vegetables to begin with.

Hi brownie earthquake (I love your name btw) yeah I think that seems to be the beat option. I'm just scared of undoing all of my hard work really but I think conso then moving back to cruise is probably the beat option. Thank you x

So glad to hear you are on the mend!
I started putting weight on after I had my appendix out, having lost nearly 4 stones on LighterLife. I wish I'd thought about it more at the time, but your plan sounds very sensible - be careful of your digestion.
I found that my digestion was off for months after having my appendix out - I veered between period of virtually diarrhoea and constipation for a long time, so I would encourage you to be watchful of this.
Hope you get back to full strength soon x :)

That's handy to know actually. I have been a bit constipated since my op but the bowell movements have started again. Yay! The last thing I wanna do is undo all my hard work by putting on all my weight again. I'm hoping a few weeks on consolidation will help. My stomach is still a bit bloated but nowhere near as bad as it was after my op and I can move my stomach muscles again. Yay! X

Back