Getting my bake on...HELP!!!!

lildanni

Rite at my place of work, we have a competition going on between nursery and pre school as to who can make the most money for children in need with a cake sale. Nursery and pre school are set in 2 different buildings and the challenge is on!

The children are baking the cakes but demand is outstripping supply (there is only so many cakes that the children want to bake!)so the staff are baking cakes too. Its my day off today so when i've gone to get my wages in a bit, i'm off to tesco to get ingredients....then im baking for the rest of the afternoon!

What I want to know is,

1. can you bake cakes with granulated sweetener as opposed to sugar?
2. Do they taste any different?

Rite at my place of work, we have a competition going on between nursery and pre school as to who can make the most money for children in need with a cake sale. Nursery and pre school are set in 2 different buildings and the challenge is on!

The children are baking the cakes but demand is outstripping supply (there is only so many cakes that the children want to bake!)so the staff are baking cakes too. Its my day off today so when i've gone to get my wages in a bit, i'm off to tesco to get ingredients....then im baking for the rest of the afternoon!

What I want to know is,

1. can you bake cakes with granulated sweetener as opposed to sugar?
2. Do they taste any different?

They taste just the same to me.
What a fab idea, well done!

I'm not sure about the substitutions but just wanted to say that Lakeland are doing some very cute Children in Need baking items like Pudsey shaped cake moulds etc. Might be popular!!

Splenda is a very good choice for baking cakes, but even the granulated sweetener is fine! I have used it with my muffins, and with all the cakes I have made, and my boyfriend loves them, he can't believe they're so low in points :)

I just paste one of the recipes I have adapted to become WW friendly. This is an Italian spongecake that looks a bit like the Victorian Spongecake, minus the jam in the middle. Try it, it might be the best thing to cook for the kids, it's light and delicate and DF's little nephew (he's 10 years of age!) LOVED it when I baked it for him :). And better than anything else, it's ONLY 4PP PER SLICE!!!!

Margherita Cake

ProPoints® Value: 4
Servings: 12

Preparation Time: 10 min
Cooking Time: 45 min
Level of Difficulty: Easy

This is a traditional Italian cake!

Ingredients
1 1/4 serving(s) Potato flour
4 medium Egg, Whole
3/4 serving(s) Milk, Skimmed (1/4 pint)
4 teaspoons Sugar, Icing (level)
150 g Flour, Wheat, White, Plain
70 g Unknown I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Light
100 ml Milk, Skimmed
40 g Tate & Lyle Splenda Low Calorie Sweetener Granulated
2 teaspoons Baking Powder (as purchased)
Instructions

Mix the yolks of the eggs with the Splenda using a spoon, until they mix nicely.
Then, add the butter (needs to be room temperature or it won't bake well!) . When the mix has blent nicely, add the flour, the potato flour (you can buy it in Tesco's), the baking powder, the milk and some lemon peel and mix always with a spoon.
Aside, whisk with an electric whisk the egg whites until solid, and salt it lightly. Add the result to the mix and rise delicately. Prepare a 24 inches cake pan with little butter and flour and pour the mix into it, levelling it with a spoon.
Let it cook in the oven ad 180/200 degrees (depending on the type) for 40/50 minutes. Use a small toothpick to check if the cake is baked (if it comes out clean it means that the cake's ready).
Take the cake out the oven and wait 10 minutes for it to cool down. Sprinkle it with icing sugar and serve :)
As made, the recipe makes 12 fat slices of around 58g each. If you wish, you can cut it in half and add some cream or jam in the middle. Obviously you'll need to adjust the points!

Back