Glasses or contacts?

Good luck!! They'll make you put them in and out yourself in the shop a few times before you go.
A couple of weeks after I got them, I had to get up early to allow time to get them in! Frustrating at first but it gets easier :)

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I have really rough fingers (occupational hazard), will that be a problem?
Do I need / should I get any eye drops or anything?

Might be worth getting a pair of sunglasses to use maybe? Since I doubt they do reactalight contacts?

Sent from my iPod touch using MiniMins

They should be able to advise on eye drops etc. depending on what contacts you get. Sunglasses sound like a good idea! Have fun! :)

It's a very odd feeling seeing your face from far away with no glasses on totally clear for the first time! It's good though :)

When I had contacts before I had acrylic nails so had to get then out scissor style!

If your fingers are very rough I guess thin gloves are an option as long as they're a snug fit..

Well, that didn't go as planned.

My left eye has a long standing scar that I knew nothing of, and has astigmatism apparently.
So I need a toric lens that side which is special order. So no trial contacts today and won't be in until after the London thing. :(

Picked out sone new glasses and they take 10 days to come. Which is pushing it as I go on the 24th.
They've put them down for the Monday before I go so we'll see then.

I have glasses, had a bad experience with soft contacts years ago; they wern't quite right for me and a little fuzzy, so when i lost one i never noticed... and pinched my eyeball trying to remove this non existent lens. since then it's been glasses all the way lol. also i look weird imho without glasses. you, on the other hand, look amazing!

I'm very short sighted so I would notice if I lost one.
Got glasses anyway for evenings and weekends since the lenses can't be worn more than 12 hours a day and need a day or two off a week.

I've worn contacts for about 6 years because I hated wearing glasses when I was at college. Best decision I ever made, I can't bare wearing glasses. I only wear them around the house now if I'm not going out anywhere. I have astigmatism too but I've always been fine with regular lenses - maybe mine is not as bad as yours :(

I'm getting my lenses (I hope) on Thursday, last time I worked with computers and needed one Toric lens as otherwise the screen went wobbly!
I'm hoping not to this time.

I had an operation on my eye due to a condition i have in my eye it was unsuccessful and as a result i could not wear glasses as i had to have a second operation on my other eye to remove the natural lens from ny eye. The surgeon said the only way ill be able to see is if i wear very strong contact lenses i was terrified i has the biggest fear of them i had to try get used to them and a year abd half later im not overly happy about wearing them and its a massive struggle everyday to put them in. I wear a +13.5 lens in my keft eye and a +30 in my right eye they have to be made especially for my eye. I know its very nerve wrecking when u start wearing them but only for them i wouldnt be able to see as glasses are not an option for my eyes now. If i can manage to wear them anyone can xxx

Last edited:
Surely in your case they can do a lens implant?
They put a plastic lens into the eye to replace / correct damaged natural ones.

The first surgery that was unsuccessful was a lens implant. Hopefully in time there will be a way of implanting a lens in ny eye but at the moment they cant. I hace a progressive condition Retnitus Pigmentosa its an awful condition i hope someday a cure will be found for it xxx

Up until recently I wore toric soft lenses. I have appalling short sight, & astigmatism. Mine were from Boots Opticians, and they are daily throwaway ones. The only issue I had with the toric lenses is the weights on them (which get them hanging at the right angle on the eye) can swing around, therefore momentarily blurring vision, a few blinks & they realign, but it can be annoying, particularly at road junctions! :eek:

Before these I had monthly lenses, & have to say that I preferred those to the dailies, the dailies are so incredibly flimsy, like cling film, and I was forever inadvertently flipping them inside out, then wondering why they weren't comfortable... the monthly ones were that bit thicker, and just as comfortable, until of course you get an eyelash or something under your lens - redefines the word irritation! ;)

I got my contacts today and cannot bear the left one! I can't read with it in, so I'll be going back tomorrow! She said my astigmatism wasn't enough for toric lenses to correct, but I think she's got the prescription wrong!

ColJack - my hubby has very long sight and has worn lenses on and off for years but keeps specs with him at all times as without them he literally can't see.
He's recently got some new lenses that you wear permanently for 28 days and then have a rest for a day.
He loves them. He says its a weird feeling being able to get up in the morning and actually see without haveing to grope around for his specs.
These may work for you even too as hubby tried torics and couldn't get on with them.

I also tried toric lenses many years and they drove me nuts. I could not get used to the blurry vision for a few seconds whenever I blinked.
My instinct was to keep blinking which only made it worse. Grrrrr

Like you I always used to wear big specs so that I didn't have the blurred vision around the edges.
But I swapped to smaller frames several years ago and although it took a while you do get used to them as they tend to sit closer to your eyes.
This means that you in fact don't get the blurry bits.

Prescription changed....still not blimming right!!! So going back again she has ordered Toric lenses now though!

I have to have dailies or monthlies as my eyes are dry apparently!

Picking my new glasses up tomorrow (fingers crossed)

but i think it will be the last time using this shop as the service has gone down hill since i got my last pair nearly 2 years ago.. used to be amazing, now it's just money,money, money .. but, still thinking in the back of my mind about getting my eyes done with the lazer.. might have a good long hard think about it, and start saving, hmm

Contacts are in.
Weird feeling.
Keep pushing up my non existent glasses. :D

ColJack said:
Contacts are in.
Weird feeling.
Keep pushing up my non existent glasses. :D

Ha ha ha I do that all the time! I've been wearing daily contacts for 11 years now. Wouldn't be without them! Still wear my glasses when I ghetto finally sit down at night & mostly on a Sunday. Hope yours are goin well.x

Back