Go Lower

MiniMoosh

Mooshing back
Minimoosh, this is the diet im going to start on and hopefully give a good go! .....having compared to vlcd's. Its a ketogenic diet much like lighter life but with real food parcels rather than sachets. So, I too was wondering if anyone else here as tried it?

Hope it works for you! The site does seem a little down on VLCDs, the one I'm on- Slim and Save- has shakes, soups, bars and meals like chilli so there is a food element. Or else I wouldn't do it! It looks a lot more expensive though.

its just slightly cheaper than lighter life. worth it if the results are good. i hadnt heard of slim and save. how did you find it, flavour wise and wwas it easy

Slim and Save is a lot cheaper, you order it from the site www.slimandsave.co.uk but there's no councelling or meetings or anything- part of the attraction to me, I work long hours and don't want more commitments!

I'm finding it great, it's a ketosis diet so I don't often feel hungry. It's changing the way I see food which can only be a good thing! Flavour-wise, it's mostly nice but no one likes everything. I love the meals but the tomato soup is gross!

I like the idea of real food rather than sachets but right now I need the food break. There is an option on S+S of doing 3 packs a day and some chicken or fish, plus however many you do (3 or 4, 5 for some men) you are allowed 200g veg from a list. So lots of choice!

Last edited by a moderator:
I wondered about that. They seem really down on shakes and stuff- but even on 'normal food' diets people gain back, not just VLCDs. I'm looking for something workable for pre-maintenance, looking at this and Diet Chef as possibilities.

I am doing the Go Lower programme. I really liked it, you get your own personal consultant and all the meals are sent to you, you just have to provide your own veg and dairy. The food is really nice, they have things like Thai chicken soup, Moroccan meatballs and chicken tikka masala…yum! :)

It is a low carb, high protein ketogenic diet so you lose weight really quickly.

To make sure you lose weight and keep it off they work with you throughout the program and after with support from your personal consultant and their in house nutritionists. All of whom are really friendly!

You get your breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks for the first 2 phases. They then move you onto the transitional phase where they give you breakfast, snacks and half your lunch and dinners, for the other half you are given recipes so that you learn to cook your own food. That is their way to teach you how to keep the weight off once you finish the programme. You then move onto independence where they provide you with breakfast and snacks but you cook your own meals from their recipes.

I really like it, it takes all the pressure away from having to think about what you should eat that day to lose weight as they have done it all for you. Having the option to phone up and for advice really helps too!

julz442 thanx for this. i was having second thoughts but what u have just said has reaffirmed what i first felt about golower.
i have been looking at different diets but i am defo going for this one now. have u been on it for long? how have you found it foodwise and dare i ask how much weight loss n how quick? i need to lose around three stones, it would be nice to feel a good bit lighter by summer. main reason tho is to lower my blood pressure.

just a bit concerned about gall bladder problems due to rapid weightloss. has anyone on any diet had such a problem?

I have done Go Lower in the past - it produced fast weight loss.. but as there were no carbs in the diet at all.. I found it very tricky to keep the weight off. Ultimately I put it back on.. plus a bit extra! Also, there isnt a huge amount of variety in terms of food (only one breakfast, about 4 soups for lunch and a few more dinners). My final reservation was that you're not really allowed anything else apart from veg. You are hardly allowed any fruit due to the carb content!

About 2 years on.. and I've decided to try another meal replacement and have opted for Jenny Craig. So far I'm finding it loads better than Go Lower - the food is far more varied.. and also you can add in fruit/veg/dairy so it feels far more normal than the Go Lower low carb approach. To me, there seems something inherently wrong about dieting but not being allowed fruit! You also get a personal consultant who rings you every week (and is also available all week on the phone if you need it) - its brilliant having someone to coach you through the process.

After writing that I now realise that I look like I probably work for Jenny Craig or something!! I can assure you, I dont.. but am definitely turning into a real ambassador as have been so impressed :)

Last edited:
woohoo. finally been and gone and dun it! Rang golower and they took about forty minutes asking me various health questions and explaining how it works etc Depending on the plan they advise you to be on.....mine is a 12 week plan to lose two stones in weight or to get from size 18 to 12|14 eventually. Came as a bit of a shock at first when she said "you can pay upfront if you like seven hundred and ninety pounds and we will give you a discount.......decided to pay monthly but even then it was three hundred and seventy six pounds 20p this month. same second month and then nothing for final month....but thats probably because by then they dont send too much food as you are then expected to follow recipes and cook your own more healthy options! Seems expensivo but if it works its worth it. Ive tried to lose weight for a long time and have lost some but been mostly unsuccessful.

Feel kinda relieved and looking forward to getting started, hamper will arrive on Tuesday so will start Wednesday.
She said she will ring me once a week to see how things are going or if I need advice tho I have seen one or two reviews on internet to say support isnt always received. Thats ok tho, Ive got hubby,s and daughter,s support at home which along with a determination to stick with 'the plan' should give me the impetus to succeed. That, and the thought of a new set of clothes. lol Were going to Trafford Centre on Saturday as I need some new work clothes but Im determined that these will be the last in this size.

So, if anyone else out there is doing the golower diet, get in touch and we can be buddies and offer support to ea other.

thankyou twinkletoes. Cant wait to get started. Just got some bottled water in ready, and some decaff tea and coffee.
Noticed people here are drinking green tea....is it any good and does it taste ok? Ive also read about the er "whoosh", just hoping I wont be in work and its like waters breaking! lol

How are you are doing with Jenny Craig, have you been on it long?

Sorry for the late reply Vampyra!

Well done on signing up! I think you will love it.

I have been on it for 2 months and lost just about 2 stone. I feel really good. I defo don't look at carbs in the same way anymore!

I really like the food. The Morrocan meatballs are my favourite.

The forum is pretty good for support from other members, I don't really post but I like reading the advice on it. :)

Good luck!

Hi Vampyra,

I've been on Jenny Craig for just under 4 weeks now (lost 8lbs in the first 2 weeks, maintained last week and fingers crossed for this week - weigh in tomorrow!). Really enjoying it (which.. trust me.. is a miraculous thing for me to say) - love the fact that people are commenting on my weight loss already and the food is really nice, it feels like I'm eating all the time (they encourage you to eat 6 times a day)!

How have you found Go Lower so far? Its great having all of your food delivered isnt it!! x

twinkletoes youre doing well. Its nice to see progress, it spurs you on and makes you feel good about yourself. I think each person has to find their own way, their own diet that suits them. I triied weight watchers many years ago, and have tried calorie counting and low fat diets but I need something more structured and organised. YES I agree, its nice to have the food delivered. It was quite exciting unpacking and checking out what was in store for the next two weeks! Im going to list the main meals and plan them out like I would normally plan a menu for shopping etc. Were going shopping tomorrow so will get veg to match with meals.
not sure whatto do on Thursday when work are haing a jacobs join and birthday cake? Cake and sweet stuff I can do without but savoury? oooh murder! :eek:(

eeek it is always tricky for me when there's cake about (at work we always have cake on a friday) so I feel your pain with the savoury stuff!

maybe you should save up your snacks for then? I seem to remember some yummy chocolate coated raspberries on Go Lower? My friend was also a bit fan of the pork crisp things...?

Back