Goan Chicken curry

mandy296

Silver Member
I always like the look of the stuff Simon Rimmer cooks on something for the weekend and finally tried a recipe, the one from yesterday - my it was lovely.

Comes out very green though - would be good if you needed something for a halloween party.

havent worked out what the syns would be, but it serves 4, and I'm guessing the only syns would be from the coconut milk (so whatever 1/4 can coconut milk syns would be)

Would the spinach be enough to count as 1/3 superfree on EE? It looked like loads before it was blended into the coconut milk

For the curry paste
· 1 onion, quartered.
· 4 bird’s-eye chillies
· 1 tsp ground coriander
· 2 tsp tamarind pulp , mixed to a paste with 1 tbsp water
· 1 tbsp caster sugar - I used sweetner
For the curry
· 2 tbsp vegetable oil - (Frylight)
· 1 x 400ml/14fl oz can coconut milk (Reduced fat)
· 400g/14oz spinach
· handful fresh mint
· small bunch fresh coriander
· 1 garlic clove
· pinch salt
· 3 chicken breasts, cut into large chunks
· 200g/7oz potatoes
To serve
· cooked basmati rice
· naan bread (I didnt use any naan bread)

Preparation method
1. For the curry paste, blend the onion, chillies, ground coriander, garlic, tamarind, and sugar in a food processor to a fine paste.
2. For the curry, heat the oil (Frylight) in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Fry the curry paste for 2-3 minutes, or until fragrant.
3. Meanwhile, blend the coconut milk, spinach, mint, coriander, garlic and salt in a food processor and add this mixture to the frying pan. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for five minutes. (Add a little water or stock if the mixture is too thick.)
4. Add the potatoes and chicken and cook for a further 20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the potatoes are tender.
5. Serve the curry with rice and naan bread.

Basic/Non Branded Foods Coconut, milk, light/reduced fat, canned 1 level tbsp

extraeasy.gif
½ Syn on Extra Easy
red.gif
Original ½ Syn
green.gif
Green ½ Syn

Not sure how much you used. Tamarind is also synned...

Basic/Non Branded Foods Dressing, Tamarind paste 1 level tbsp

extraeasy.gif
1 Syns on Extra Easy
red.gif
Original 1 Syns
green.gif
Green 1
Basic/Non Branded Foods Dressing,

Still fairly low though.

Working on the basis that 1tbsp = 15ml, I used a 400ml can of coconut milk so thats 26ish tbsps = 13 syns. It serves 4 so thats just over 3 syns per portion - the tamarind worked out at about a tbsp of paste for the whole thing so thats pretty minimal (I used a dried tamarind block, softened in water and pushed through a sieve, so the same as paste I guess)

Quite why slimming world put coconut milk on the website by tbsp is beyond me - most recipes call for a can of the stuff, not spoonfuls.

This is the recipe I like - much tastier than the free one despite having to count the syns! Nice for something special

GOAN FISH CURRY

Serves approx 9 people

2 large bunches coriander – from local Asian shop – if bought from supermarket buy 4 or 5 bunches
- Chopped leaves and fine stalks
Salmon fillets x 9 (or to suit diners)
Madras curry paste – approx 3 / 4 dessert spoons
Coconut milk , reduced fat x 2 tins
5 - 6 fresh limes – zest and juice
3 large red onions – finely chopped
fry light

Stir gently through first stages of cooking.

Heat pan with fry light
Add onions, cook to soften
Add madras paste and fry for a minute.
Add chopped coriander stalks and leaves - save some to decorate dish to serve
Add zest and juice of limes.
Simmer on a good heat for approx 4 - 5 minutes
Add coconut milk, stir and turn down heat

Add salmon on top and cover. Cook gently for approx 12 minutes until fish is cooked

If needed or preferred, thicken with Cornflour (extra syns) mixed with cold water to make a runny paste. Simmer for 3 - 4 minutes to cook flour.

Serve sprinkled with remaining coriander

Serve with rice

Back