Going from two to three without eating for five!

Keep in touch Hun :) x

She's here! It won't let me add photos for some reason. I went to antenatal unit last Monday because my blood pressure was up, this time I needed tablets to bring it down so they decided to induce. It wasn't until late Tuesday night that they were able to take me in the labour ward and break my waters. She was born at 11.30am on Wednesday weighing 8lb 5oz, though she seems so much smaller than that.

Labour was awful really, quite a stressful and traumatic experience but they were fantastic. I wouldn't like to go through it again but it was worth it to have her here now. We're just about over our feeding issues and I'm starting to feel better so hopefully will open the door to visitors again and get out and about soon.

Hope everyone is OK?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20150504_084832.png
    ForumRunner_20150504_084832.png
    289.1 KB · Views: 117
Oh it will do photos! It said it crashed. Here's a few for you. We've called her Bethany Eve, registering her tomorrow and then it'll be all official. She loves her hands up by her face! Must be a comfort thing.

ForumRunner_20150504_085355.png

ForumRunner_20150504_085433.png

ForumRunner_20150504_085454.png

ForumRunner_20150504_085547.png

Wow 10lb 7! How was that? How are you both doing?

Yeah we knew we were having a girl but only chose her name after she was born.

Wow 10lb 7! How was that? How are you both doing?

Yeah we knew we were having a girl but only chose her name after she was born.

Haha it hurt! We had a very quick birth once they induced me. I went in Monday night with regular contractions I wasn't in.labour but I was getting lots of movement and I thought my waters were leaking. So in the end he was fine my fore waters were intact but my hind waters might of had been leaking. They decided just to induce me as I was ment to go in Tuesday morning to start induction procedures. I ended up on the hormone drip but from that point to birth was only 3 hours! I managed to push him out without any damage which was very lucky as he was much bigger than Huw!

James is good just a big lump! His brother loves him and is coping well. Things couldn't of gone any better really.

She's so cute.

Awwww congratulations Hun! She's beautiful!!! Sorry to hear it was traumatic :( x hope you are recovering well and you are both ok :) xxxx

So glad you had a better induction experience than me! It didn't really help that it was a 24 hour wait from my last pessary to when they managed to get me in to the labour ward. Here each midwife has only one labouring patient at a time so they can stay with you, understand the wait now.

She's being a bit of a tinker with feeding and nappies. The midwife is back today to weigh her and do the heel prick test etc. Just hoping she's OK weight wise or we may have to rethink feeding options.

I think I was fortunate as I was already in latent stage. I was 3cm when I went in so they decided as I thought my waters went Sunday they wanted me to deliver sooner than later. So after kinda waiting for morning shift to start they put the drip on though they broke my waters a few hours earlier which didn't make me progress to far.

To be honest, I think 'lovely induction' stories are in the minority, particularly for FTMs at least. I was induced with my 1st and too had an awful experience. Quite traumatic etc It's not the mum's fault of course! It's usually because 1st labours tend to be longer etc so lots of time for other interventions etc. Hope you're alright. xx I really struggled with my birth for a while after having Amelia (mainly because I also complained about my aftercare) but you are within your right to ask for a birth de-brief with your midwife hun if you want to. That way she can go through everything that happened, you can ask questions etc and get your head around it. xx

Anyway, Congratulations again. You did wonderful! She is gorgeous xx I hope you are both well and you're settling into motherhood ok. :) x

Motherhood in many ways really isn't all it's cracked up to be. I mean it's amazing, she's amazing and I wouldn't change her for the world but bloody hell it's hard work. She's one week old, one week and 10 minutes to be precise and it's just been one thing after another to worry about, blame myself for or feel like I'm failing at. She stopped doing any dirty nappies and wasn't really doing enough wet ones so we've had to start combi feeding her so every three hours after a feed she gets topped up with 2-3oz of formula until my milk supply comes in properly. Though I'm starting to feel like that's never going to happen. Then last night we ended up at the walk in centre because we discovered that the skin between the fold right at the top of her legs had got red raw and weeping. We've got some cream for her now and it's already helping but it was just another thing to feel bad about. Thankfully she's sleeping quite well at night, during the day too really, still lots of sleep but lots more awake and alert times now that we've started combi feeding. Last night she had a feed at 11pm, 2am and 6am and slept soundly between those feeds. Yet somehow today I feel more tired than I have all week.

Food isn't great at the moment, it's lots of just grab what's quick and easy although we haven't had any takeaway or anything like that so it could be worse. Still need to work on my water, as always, as it'll help with my milk supply too. Weighed myself just because giving birth and I'd reached about what I was before finding out that I was pregnant, since giving birth I'm about 16lb down or I was when I weighed myself a couple of days ago. Thankfully my old jeans fit again, which I'm very happy about, as I'm sick to death of wearing leggings and without a bump my maternity ones just fall down.

I still plan on following SW but to be honest at the moment it's just about eating as those first few days I wasn't eating enough so food may not be ideal at the moment but it's about damage control too, nothing that we're having is that bad. Hopefully by next week things will have settled more, though A will be back at work by then. Dreading that :(

Hello Caz!

Now listen to Granny Rosie haha...please try not to feel you are failing at anything, you are not!!

You have just given birth to your own little miracle, you will be emotionally and physically exhausted. Taking care of a newborn is extremely hard work, rewarding, but hard and tiring!

Everything is new to you, mind blowing and like every new mum, you want to be the best you can be! You are being that person Caz, we all were, you are doing a grand job, being responsible for feeding, cleaning and taking care of this perfect, tiny baby!

Don't be afraid to ask the midwife/health visitor anything and everything!!! They will reassure and advice you.

Us mums are not given a handbook on what to do, when to do it and how to cope when the worries overload our minds!!! haha. You will settle into a routine hun, please believe me, the tiredness lingers for a long time I am afraid, so please take every offer of assistance just so you can have a wee nap to restore your energy.

Every new mum worries and fears about all sorts of things, you are just being a normal parent! Haha I would love to write more as I have a lot more advise I have collected over the years haha

Please pm me anytime you want and if I can offer advice or suggestions, I will!!! Lean on family and friends too hun and promise me you won't put yourself down or worry too much that you are doing the right thing, of course you are...a lot of this mothering comes naturally...good luck and enjoy!

I started mothering 30 years ago...and I am still learning haha

Contact me anytime Caz! c

First off don't worry about food love. Give yourself some time to recover. I tired slimming world when Huw was 4 months and that was hard enough!

I remember Huw being so much harder than James but I reckon that's because I knew what was coming. I was expecting no sleep and a fight with breastfeeding. We had to top up James until my milk came in so don't worry about it just keep offering boob first. Try and get in contact with a lactation consultant they will be more helpful than the midwife or heath visitor.

If you ever need a chat just send a message I'm here with you.

Thanks ladies for the supportive replies, they honestly mean a lot. I read them before but have only just got around to replying.

I battled on with trying to breastfeed and combi feed but it was hard work. It meant breast feeding her for 20ish minutes, then giving her a bottle which would take up to 30 minutes because she'd be tired from trying to breastfeed and then I'd need to pump for 20 minutes on each side to try and get my milk supply up. I had a Home Start person come out to support us in the hope that there was some simple thing that would help but positioning and latch were all good, she just wasn't actively sucking enough because there wasn't enough milk to keep her interested and from falling asleep. I tried to keep going but it got to a point yesterday where I had to make the decision about whether to continue or not. It all seemed a bit too much and it wasn't helping and basically my GP and the midwife I called for advice both said that if it wasn't helping by then, maybe it just wasn't going to improve. It was getting me down, I kept feeling bad about it, crying over it and just generally worrying so I made the decision to just stop and solely bottle feed. It's not what I wanted in an ideal world but I gave her the best start I could and this is the best way to carry on that I can do.

So today is day 1 of just bottle feeding and I'll be honest, it's like it's all changed overnight. I feel so much happier, so much more peaceful and calm and far less stressed and hormonal. Her legs are looking much, much better. She's been suffering with constipation but today she's finally managed to go, thank goodness. Hearing her cry in pain is the most heartbreaking thing I've had to experience so far. She's gained another 5oz so she's just 2oz off her birth weight and being able to be discharged by the midwives, I'm looking forward to that just to know that she's on track and doing well. Aaron is back at work on Tuesday, which I'm absolutely dreading. It's so nice having him around, I'm hoping that it doesn't feel too isolated with him back at work. I'm going to go to a local NCT group on Tuesday mornings and one at the local church on Fridays. Hopefully that'll help me feel like I'm still 'in touch' with the outside world!

Thank you again for your lovely supportive replies ladies.

Hi, how are you today? Hope all went well yesterday and you and little cutie enjoyed some mum and daughter time!

Ease into motherhood, you have years ahead to enjoy every moment...keep making those memories! x

Morning Kate and Rosie. May do you have a new diary? You don't seem to me on my sub list, can I have the link?

Aaron ended up being off yesterday, because it was bank holiday last Monday he got an extra day this week which was nice so today is our first day home alone. We're currently still lying on the bed as I don't dare get in the shower because she'll wake up. The midwife is due any time from 9 so I really should get a move on.

Midwife is coming to hopefully discharge her today and then we'll just be under the health visitor. She needs to have put in another 2oz to be back at her birth weight, which I'm sure she will have. She finally did a dirty nappy again last night so hopefully they'll be happy with that even though they're not super regular. I don't think I ever realised I could think, worry or talk about poo as much as I have over the past 2 weeks! 2 weeks old today, where has the time gone?!

Depending on what time the midwife comes, I'm hoping to get to slimming world. There's a meeting at 9.30 or 12, I'd rather the early one as I stupidly booked a Tesco delivery for 1 but even if I don't stay for the whole meeting I'll go along and get weighed. Last night was the first time of properly cooking since Bethany was born, it was surprisingly nice to do. Felt like a bit of normality again.

Anyway, shower! I'll catch up on everyone's diaries in a bit.

Back