Going swimming with anxiety...

lucy.

Hi, I really want to start going swimming but like most people I am paranoid about wearing a costume. I suffer from extreme anxiety so doing things like this are pretty challenging.
I would have no problem going if i could wear shorts over my costume but have been told by a few people that they don't allow it in some pools? I haven't been swimming for years so i don't know the rules.
Does anyone else here go swimming and suffer with anxiety? how you do cope? xxxx

Hi Lucy, could you not ring the pool and ask if they'd allow shorts? x

Hey x

In my local pool I've seen a few people wearing shorts x and also I'm not sure if you've seen them but you can buy swim costumes with a skirt attached x
I hate my legs so this is what I brought x I feel great in it x
I brought mine from peacocks so there not to pricey!
Swimming is amazing exercise, it works for anyone!
all you've got to remember is you don't probably know anyone there and if you do, who cares, your there for you! No one else x
Just do it! X

I have been swimming since January I was 18.7stone and a size 26 as I am only 5'2. I don't suffer with anxiety but it was daunting going into a swimming pool. I soon realised nobody was looking at me as they were only interested in themselves. It is a great exercise go for it

do you know im glad i cam across this i really need to get my arse in gear and start swimming after work three times a week im going to look into it thanks everyone

Don't worry about what other people think, especially if they don't even know you!

Perhaps get a "racing" costume? Some provide more coverage than others. I think they are nicknamed "jammers".

with me its because our pool as windows so people can see from the outside in to the pool plus we have to change in mixed changing rooms ok you have changing rooms to go in but its not very good i dont think im going to ring them i think today and found out what time is best to go want to go when not busy but will have to be after work :)

I suffer really badly with anxiety as well ,and because of this I hadn't been swimming since i was 15. I find going super early in the morning, as soon as the pool is open helps because generally the only people who are there then tend to be the OAPs. They don't give a second glance at you so I can cope with it.
Another thing I've been finding helpful is telling my self it doesn't matter what I look like now and what anyone else thinks because the only reason they are seeing me is because I'm doing something to change the way I look.

Hope you find something that helps you! I know how hard it can be pushing yourself to do something than gives you anxiety. Especially when most people like your friends and family don't understand what the big deal is and think you're being silly for worrying about it. x

Sports direct do swimming shorts for women. My fiancee has just brought some for our holiday, there made by ocean pacific and are quite long in the leg. You could wear a swimming costume and the shorts.

You could also try building up in stages as you have anxiety to going swimming. Start by just going up to the leasure center, then the next time go inside and get a leaflet for times and then on the third time go in and have a swim.

You could ask what times the pool isnt busy and take it from there.

Good luck

Back