Gonna Cruise to Lose!

Sorry not had chance to comment on other people's diary's today - been a very busy work day and will be working a good while longer - just one of those days!

Gosh what a day - got very close to cracking today for no other reason than I was stressed and automatically turned to food to put in my mouth to help me feel better - in fact if I'm honest I so stuff my mouth at these times I surprised myself by actually stopping and thinking about what I was doing it is just done so subconsciously I don't even know I'm doing it.

I'm tired, have a headache and a sore throat, I hope that doesn't mean I'm coming down with another cold.

Had steak for dinner tonight which I thoroughly enjoyed and I'm chomping on chewing gum for all I'm worth but it just ain't hitting the mark tonight. Maybe it is time for a gorgeous black decaff coffee from my machine and I may relent and have a zero carb biscuit I have especially for occasions like this - Ciao Carb Maxi Biscuit - Choc Orange | Low Carb Megastore if someone says I can't have it I may well cry!! I really need something and these bloat in your stomach to make you feel full.

Not managed to get out for a walk today which has pee'd me off and I still have another hours work to do at least before I can hit the sack. I hate days like today where I'm tied to the computer and phones all day long. I didn't even get out to pick the kids up from school.

Great big huge rasberries at the day and at people that made my day stink and that nearly made me stuff a handful of maltesers in my mouth!

Lajlaj well done on resisting maltesers! As for the biscuit I presume u may have gotten to it before my post. All I can say is up your water tomorrow and have a PP day, maybe 2 in a row?

Sounds like u have had one shockers of a day babes and I hope all the busyness of work isn't what causing you to get run down?

A big sleep for u tonight xxxx

and so to bed. I just had some yoghurt and followed it with the zero carb buscuit. I feel so much better now, maybe it wasn't strictly to plan but it hit the spot and I came away without eating tonnes of revels which was plan b! I swapped the decaff coffee for two cups of hot water so that has helped my water intake massively. All in all whilst not a great day foodwise/motivation wise/headspace wise it could have been a whole lot worse than it was.

Tomorrow is a PV day so here is the plan!

B - Eggs at a DECENT TIME - started slipping breakfast back further and further but just rewatched that diet programme with my daughter and it has reinforced the need for me to eat a protein breakfast at a normal time preferably before 10am.

L - Plan is to throw some chicken, water and veg into a pan with some herbs and spices and blend it all into a soup - been waiting to test the theory of feeling fuller longer that the tv programme made and tomorrow is as good as day as any to do that.

D - Roast chicken with butternut squash mash. We always have chicken on Fridays (well not always but usually) so I'm looking forward to having it with something rather than just the plain chicken. Rest of the family will be having the usual roast potatoes!

Hopefully tomorrow I will get to do that shop I've been desperate for all week!!

I'm exhausted as the past few nights I've been having very deep sleeps and very very odd vivid dreams. Not last night but the night before I fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow (very unusual as I suffer from insomnia) but woke up at 12.30am convinced it was 12.30 lunch time and jumped out of bed to wake the kids up - luckily my husband stopped me on the way out of our bedroom!!

Anyway good night everyone, have a good one!

Lajlaj well done on resisting maltesers! As for the biscuit I presume u may have gotten to it before my post. All I can say is up your water tomorrow and have a PP day, maybe 2 in a row?

For my sanity I need my PV day tomorrow (see my post above as I was posting as you were). But can I ask why you say that about the biscuit? If it is zero carb but high protein (I checked) then would it really make a difference? More curious than anything? When I did the metabolism miracle I found these a very good way to get through the cravings and the bad days (hence still having some left in the cupboard). I did swap out the coffee for the two glasses of hot water but would like to know the reasoning behind them not being a good idea if they are zero carb (I'm still on a huge learning curve with this diet and need to feed my brain as much as my belly - if something has a reason I can and will live with that as long as I know why!).

Good going on the water swap. And defo have breakfast before 10am, it will help set up your body for not hitting a wall 2 hours later when it lunchtime.

As for the biscuits, I too have the odd protein bar; 10.5 pro, 4.9 fat and 1.9 carb. But just think it's too easy to let one turn into an everyday treat. Also it's not fresh protein, it's modified. In other words fresh, pure proteins are easy for the body to breakdown and sort the nutrients into your body. Bars and cookies and shakes (just the same), have additives and preservatives. The body finds these particularly the longest to break down. Does make u wonder and how obesity has grown over the past 60 or so years with long life product etc.

But honestly I have one once a week if like u I'm going to crack! And your right a PV does make u feel sane again! Your doing well hun.

And OMG what a day u appear to have had. Rest up xx

hey hun just a quick question dont answer if too nosy ...with your irregular heartbeat problem does it sometimes leave you a bit breathless ?

For my sanity I need my PV day tomorrow (see my post above as I was posting as you were). But can I ask why you say that about the biscuit? If it is zero carb but high protein (I checked) then would it really make a difference? More curious than anything? When I did the metabolism miracle I found these a very good way to get through the cravings and the bad days (hence still having some left in the cupboard). I did swap out the coffee for the two glasses of hot water but would like to know the reasoning behind them not being a good idea if they are zero carb (I'm still on a huge learning curve with this diet and need to feed my brain as much as my belly - if something has a reason I can and will live with that as long as I know why!).

Hiya,

well done on controlling the urge to eat - one biscuit is a huge improvement on grazing all day - that's also what I used to do during stress periods at work ... Now I still have a fair bit of coffees (decaf mostly), with skimmed milk too, but better than handfuls of fruit & nuts!

The biscuit may be carb-zero but it is not (I have just checked) fat free... It is also zero protein, but no other nutritional info is available from the link you posted, just the ingredients which include butter and chocolate :(

The thing about this diet is that you are trying to exclude or minimize all carbs (starches and sugars mostly) and fats, and maximise protein. So most prepared food, even the roast chicken from the supermarket, usually has some unsuitable additives: hidden fats and sugars, starches and thickeners. I'm sure your biscuit today will not have done any harm, it will just have slowed your progress a little, and I think fat is less likely to get you out of Ketosis than any kind of Carbs.
But that's really what the main instruction for this diet is - if it's not on the list then it's probably not a good idea... There are the lists of allowed Proteines and Veg in the book, plus herbs and spices, and on top of those there is a list of 'tolerated items' of which you are allowed to have two in a day, but they may slow your progress and you should have them occasionally and exclude completely is stalling for more than a few days.
That list is not in the book but on a French website, and I'm not sure if we have a english translation kicking around, maybe Jo can help: this is a list she posted some while ago, and you can see we've been discussing them now and again:
http://www.minimins.com/dukan-diet/161803-tolerated-foods-joanne.html#post2708376

Good luck you're doing fine! Maybe take some time to re-read the beginnings of the book...

Poor you, lajlaj. I'm a stress eater, too, and it is very difficult to control those urges at times. Hope things get better for you. Maybe keep your morale up by remembering how well you've done and that you don't want to halt the wonderful progress you've made - that works for me, anyway.

I really can't add anything to the wonderful post from Anja. Good luck lajlaj.

hey hun just a quick question dont answer if too nosy ...with your irregular heartbeat problem does it sometimes leave you a bit breathless ?

Sometimes it leaves me breathless (but then being 5 1/2 stone overweight is probably more of a contributor) but the main thing is I get a lot of pain in my left arm and under my rib cage that is what gets me most.

Thanks everyone - no more biscuits!! Especially now I understand the reasoning.

As it happens I've come down with another stinky cold which is probably why I was feeling so rough anyway. Started the day with three big glasses of warm water so hopefully that will help a little.

I'm going to go and make my eggs now before I get sucked in to other things and miss breakfast again. I've taken a real shine to fried eggs (dry fried that is)!

Hope everyone has a cracking day.

Sorry you had a bad day.

This diet is very hard to get through 'those moments' as there isnt really a treat to turn to. Jo will say you have to use your imagination a lot on this one.
Honestly its worth finding out what your fave dessert is on this and then only allowing yourself it as a special treat not everyday.

I love having fake rhubarb crumble (stewed rhubarb topped with oatbran a little sweetner baked eaten with a bit of yogurt).
You can make a batch of muffins with flavoured yog that you freeze and only have that flavour on a treat day or try the various oatbran biscuit recipes, on a bad day going over you oatbran allowence by 1 biscuit or 1 muffin isnt the end of the world and keeping them in the freezer stops you having more than 1.

Sorry you had a bad day.

This diet is very hard to get through 'those moments' as there isnt really a treat to turn to. Jo will say you have to use your imagination a lot on this one.
Honestly its worth finding out what your fave dessert is on this and then only allowing yourself it as a special treat not everyday.

I love having fake rhubarb crumble (stewed rhubarb topped with oatbran a little sweetner baked eaten with a bit of yogurt).
You can make a batch of muffins with flavoured yog that you freeze and only have that flavour on a treat day or try the various oatbran biscuit recipes, on a bad day going over you oatbran allowence by 1 biscuit or 1 muffin isnt the end of the world and keeping them in the freezer stops you having more than 1.

I think one is not to let the craving build and have something else that is allowed but nice instead. Of course Jaqys strategy of an emergency stash of virtuous treats is a good idea too!

Well my treat became / is cherry tomatoes, I always have a bowl of nice ones in the kitchen and still eat them like grapes ;) when I need a pick-me-up. All things considered even the nicer ones are also cheaper than grapes.

My fave pudding for sweet moments is Baked custard (there are lots of recipes everywhere, this is what I settled on):
2 eggs, add milk to make 400ml, beat well with sweetener (about 1TB?) and some vanilla flavouring.
pour into small ramekins (the glass ones I saved a long time ago from GU puds are perfect ;)), sprinkle with some nutmeg if liked.
Stand in a roasting tin and pour hot water to come about halfway/ 3/4 up the sides.
Bake 30mins at 150C fan. Turn oven off and leave to cool for an hour or two (try not to forget them!). Chill and ENJOY!

I also found that the lids from Pringles cans fit the GU ramekins exactly so now i can take them to work without risk of spillage. It helps to live in a non-diet household where lots of things are saved 'just in case' for craft projects :D

You're doing absolutely great, keep going!

Poor you - another cold!

I think that Jaqys' and Anja's advice is fantastic. Definitely prepare and freeze some Dukan treats for yourself for times like this. I make the crème au chocolat from the book and pop some in the freezer. Apparently, you can also pop this into an ice cream making machine to create Dukan-friendly ice cream.

Anja - That's a great tip about the Pringles lids. I shall start keeping them!

Thanks for all the tips and ideas I will definately start incorporating them. I'm rather pleased to say my scales showed a 2lb gain this morning and the reason I'm pleased is that it shows there are no short cuts and no cheating which means I need to get my head in gear (which it is today despite spending the past hour sorting out problems and issues) and stick to the plan. Cheating (even if they are zero carb cheats) isn't going to work with this diet and I want to lose this weight so I will need to stick to it to the letter. I also need to be better organised - part of my problem is/was I am desperately short of food as I still haven't got to Tescos but will make that a priority for today - to at least stock up on cottage cheese, smoked salmon and fat free yoghurts again so there is always something in the fridge to grab. I will also make some deserts too.

Oh my I feel so rough tonight I'm not quite sure where to put myself - I'm absolutely full of a cold, it is streaming out of me, I have sore sinuses and a headache and have started with the shivers.

Food wise it has been a good day so far - I did a bit of a shop but unfortunately they didn't have any fat free fromage frais at the smaller Tescos nor did they have any fat free total yoghurt or wheatbran so a bit of a waste of time. If I'm up to it I'll go to the big shop tomorrow.

So today's food ended up nothing at all like I'd hoped for!

Here it is:-

B - two dry fried eggs
L - Roast beef and side salad
D - yum! butternut squash mash with dry fried onions and mushrooms and roast chicken.

30 minute walk managed (supermarket shop and small other walk but not quickly as my poor little fat legs didn't want to move today).

Now I've not had my oatbran yet so will go and pop some muffins in the oven quickly before I head to bed.

I haven't got it in me to read everyone's diaries tonight so hopefully everyone has had a good day.

Back