Gonna Cruise to Lose!

Hey lajlaj, just read through the last few pages of your diary (I couldn't read it all - it's a bit ;ate for me!!) You're doing really really well, I am very impressed with your 1st weeks loss - you must be really pleased!! I just wanted to add, that in the book the Dr says, if in desperate need you can up your oatbran quantities for a day or two - so if you're craving something sweet maybe make some sweet muffins or a galetter - just a thought!!

Keep it up!!

xoxo

Good morning (please don't point out that it is half way through the afternoon!!). just had a gorgeous shower with lots of aromatherapy products - mint and menthol to see if that unblocks me a little and low and behold I feel a lit more human again!

Sooo, today:-

B Eggs for breakfast (shock horror bet you didn't expect that!)
L Cold roast chicken & will have a muller light soon (tescos didn't have any Total 0% fat!)
D - not sure yet!!

And I declare a huge massive success. Muffins that taste half way decent!! Yesterday was getting there I added 100% coco powder to them but they still weren't right. Today I added 3 sashets of sweetner, vanilla essence and lots of cinamon - also I made them with quark as I ran out of fat free fromage frais! These are actually fairly decent tasting - I don't think I was making them sweet enough before.

Well let the fun begin - just ordered an Indian takeaway and I can't wait - not normally a lover of Indian food I've just ordered mixed tikka grill (without the chops so two lots of chicken).

I am craving something with a bit of taste at the moment and hope the spices will clear away this horrid cold.

Normally I'd have chinese but wasn't 100% sure what to order so decided this was probably safest!

Argh argh argh argh!!!! Sooooo today I survive a trip to the ice cream parlour and have just a black decaff coffee whilst all around me have deserts, ice cream and thick ice cream milkshakes!! I order a tandoori mixed grill which I thoroughly thoroughly enjoyed and then as I'm tidying up I stick a piece of pashwari nan in my mouth after dipping it in to a korma sauce! Why oh why oh why???

hey hun your ill and it was only a bit ...if id of been near a peshwari it would of been the whole lot x

As it so happens the whole lot didn't stay in my system very long (tmi again sorry!!).

I followed it with a few of the diabetic sweets as I know the reaction I have to them but I'm fully expecting to be out of ketosis now.

I really did enjoy the takeaway though, it made such a nice change to have something seasoned just a shame I had to go ruin it by stuffing naan bread with korma sauce in my mouth after!!

Feeling a lot better again tonight though so that is good news, hopefully I will sleep tonight as last night was truly horrendous being up every half hour or so because I couldn't breathe.

Aww Lajlaj :) glad you're feeling better and fingers crossed for you to get a good night's sleep tonight! :)

TMI is a phrase we use a lot around here ;) for obvious reasons - this diet does have a habit of messing around with your bowel movements :eek: lol....

hope you're having a good day today xx

Poor lajlaj! If you're missing seasoned food, make sure you use plenty of herbs and spices - they definitely help to make the food more palatable. Many people marinate their meat in yoghurt mixed with spices (curry, etc) before cooking it.

I do use a lot of herbs and spices in my cooking but it was all beginning to taste and feel a bit samey.

Today I'm going to have another PP day to try to get myself back on track properly. So far so good.

Todays menu is:-

B - dry fried eggs and smoked salmon
L - well actually that was breakfast because it was lunch time before we got going up this morning!
S - total % greek yoghurt with a small drizzle of zero carb maple syrup.
D - not sure yet but more than likely to be chicken breasts coated in herby "breacrumbs" (ie, oatbran).
S - another yogurt because my dairy intake has been very lacking recently!

Need to go do some baking with my daughter now (oh joy) then I want to get my act together and read everyone's diaries as I've not managed it for a while.

Oh and I feel much better again today - my cold has almost gone thanks for asking.

Bit of a brain dump here (sorry). I am struggling with this diet mentally right now, there are things that I've traditionally had when low carbing that help ME through as I find the all or nothing very restrictive - for example - if I'm having a sugar craving then eating zero carb chocolate or sucking on some sweets and of course my lovely zero carb biscuits. Also I hate boiled veg so would prefer to have fried veg or roasted veg but of course this is almost impossible without being "allowed" olive oil (even a table spoon of olive oil would help - or extra virgin olive oil, something anything and of course some low fat cheese (small amount) to nibble on would be brilliant.

What isn't helping is I can't find a way to incorporate the oatbran as a tasty option - the gallette's quite literally make me gag and I'm not finding the muffins that much better (they are a bit better but still not something I even remotely enjoy eating!

I'm also tired and listless and generally grumpy - now that could be ToTM but I'm not convinced so I'm going to wait a few days and see if that is it.

Don't get me wrong I love being in ketosis and I'm definately in the right frame of mind (most of the time) and I'm convinced this diet works but the thought of being on pure protein for half of the next 9 months just turns my blood cold. Maybe it is the mood I'm in, maybe this one isn't for me I'm just not sure.

I was going to PP today (as well as yesterday) to get over the bit of naan bread but I thought I may go demented so added a couple of slices of mushroom (1 mushroom in total), and three shallots and some cloves of garlic to my chicken but I also put a half tablespoon of oil over the veg. I know I shouldn't have done but I wanted roast veg and you can't roast without a tiny bit of something.

I just find it too restrictive and I feel as if I'm letting myself down with this which isn't a nice feeling at all!

Ho hum!

Aw hon, don't be down, we are all behind you. Have you tried marinating your chicken to make it a bit more interesting? Myself I am almost better being restricted because once I start on something 'nice' I find it hard to stop. I found with Dukan that once I got into the swing of it and kept to the rules, it was great because I didn't ever feel hungry.

i need the restrictiveness also or i binge .... prehaps you should try a few more days and then try dukan with veg ...
i use frylight if needed and i did follow one of dr dukans recipies last week which had olive oil in it !!!!!
as for oatbran use it to make southern fried (ovened ) chicken i love that one , or mix it and make our own burgers or meatloaf
xxx
we all get down but to diet you need to have the right mind set or you will fail. Look at other diets see how they compare

Muffins? Or I mix the bran into yoghurt the night before with sweetener and cinnamon. Also in the habit of making dukan bread night before to have tuna and mayo on it for lunch.

You can do this Hun! Just persist and get back into K. Perhaps have a few days of extra bran and your zero carb products, like one per day for a week and then drop it back to half each day and see what your losses are like in 2 weeks?

Bren
X

lajlaj the vegs thing is part of the reason I've switched from dukan to a more atkinsesq low carb plan.
Being able to have roasted brocoli and cauli with a drizzle of oil(and no guilt) has made my week ;)

That said I did manage on dukan for a long time and lost ALOT.
With preparation and work it is do-able.

Do you like raw veggies? Jo makes ratatouille which is a good option as you can make a batch and freeze.

I liked the muffins but also had bran in yog when couldnt be bother to whisk eggs, or I had it in meatloaf or on fish. Its pretty well disguised that way.

What is your calorie intake like? Its very easy to slip into a very low calorie plan on this without really noticing, which can lead to the tiredness. Also are you taking your vitamins?

I fell to this often, its like you dont eat because your stomach isnt telling you its hungry, but your brain is and its not letting you know.

Oh and this diet helps break the snacking habit, its really good at that, and whilst it can be a bit sad to let go of the habit, you are building a stronger healthier you. Not reaching for the sugar free sweets and biscuits will help you not reach for the sweets and biscuits once at goal.

Great post Jaq

Sorry to have disappeared there. Well I was soooo poorly yesterday - I had the most horrendous stomach cramps all of Sunday and all of yesterday, headaches, shivers the works. It wasn't that I wasn't going to the toilet because I was but it was the most horrendous cramps I've ever had as if I was totally constipated. That then set off the heart palps and so on the advice of the doctor I have switched to WW. I'm not happy with that but it will give me breathing space to find out what I can do. Last year I did the metabolism miracle but had to stop because of the heart problems - they thought the diet may have been causing them.

I have the South Beach Diet book here but haven't read it, it has sat next to my bed for ages. This was suggested to me by the doctors because it is written by a cardiologist.

I know I need to low carb but I need to be careful because obviously being in ketosis doesn't do my heart any good so I need to find something that works for me.

I'm thinking I need to do some proper research and find a low carb diet that my body can cope with, even if I have to come up with something myself and cobble together different bits of different diets. I know what works for me - staying completely away from pasta, rice and potatoes is a must. If I can incorporate healthy eating with the vast majority of my calories coming from protein with small amounts of veg (carbs), and oils (olive oil, nuts and seeds) then I will be happy. If I lose 2lbs a week rather than 4lbs then so be it, if it means I'm not a size 12 by September 15th but a size 14 or 16 then that is still a damn site better than being the current size 22/24.

I really thank you all for your support and wish you all masses and masses of good luck with your weight loss.

I will be doing some reading and some research and more importantly some experimenting and will let you know how I get on. A big part of me is saying that if I am going to WW for a while I may do their version that is not point counting but sticking to their list of healthy options and take it from there but I will see!

Sorry to hear that, lajlaj. You absolutely mustn't risk your health. Better to lose weight more slowly and be well than to make yourself ill losing it faster.

Hope everything works out for you and that you're feeling so much better soon.

Back