Good Food?

oxoxallyoxox

Can we have a thread for foods that are considered 'good' for after lipotrim

Im not very food wise and am very worried about after LT - I dont want to be living on lettuce

So if we could have a thread with good healthy foods ie brekkie foods, lunch dinner and snacks - that would be great

There is a cereal out there called fitenesse its pretty tasty and its only 112 cals - so that and an apple for brekkie would be a good brekkie I think.

Tuna salad is another good one - using tomatoes, peppers, cucumber, onion. Im trying to keep bread to a minimum after LT so am only allowing myself 1 sandwich a week

you coming of it then ally? xx i dont no bout food when i come of it just thawt id cross that bridge when i came to it!!!

No I have another 1.5 stones to lose. But I cant stop thinking about maintaining my weight - I would like to have lists of ideal breakfast food and ideal lunch and dinner foods. I need to be prepared - its freaking me out. Ive tried to not worry about it but that really isnt happening

Good thread oxally....the answers will be very useful when we are trying to maintain

Okay so far in my search for a good brekkie cereal this is what I found the following cereals are recommended because the are made with all or mostly wholegrain and have little or no added sugar

Cheerios - General Mills
Chex, Wheat or Multi Grain - General Mills
Cinnamon Toast Crunch - General Mills
Cinnamon Grahams - General Mills
French Toast Crunch - General Mills
Golden Grahams - General Mills
Grape Nuts - Post
Grape Nut Flakes - Post
Great Grains, all varieties - Post
Healthy Choice Mueslix - Kelloggs
Healthy Choice Almond Crunch with Raisins - Kelloggs
Healthy Choice Low Fat Granola - Kelloggs
Healthy Choice Toasted Brown Sugar Squares - Kelloggs
Kashi (all varieties) - Kashi Company
Life - Quaker
Mini-Wheats, all varieties - Kelloggs
Muesli - Familia
Nutri-Grain, all varieties - Kelloggs
Oatmeal Crisp, all varieties - General Mills
Oatmeal Squares - Quaker
Organic Healthy Fiber Multigrain Flakes - Health Valley
Puffed Wheat - Quaker and others
Shredded Wheat, all varieties and sizes - Post and others
Smart Start - Kelloggs
South Beach Diet Toasted Wheats
Total - General Mills
Uncle Sam - U.S. Mills
Weetabix
Wheaties - General Mills

The following are recommended because they are All Bran or High bran and have little or no added suger

100% Bran - Post
All Bran, all varieties - Kelloggs
Bran Flakes - Post
Chex, Multi-Bran - General Mills
Complete Wheat Bran Flakes - Kelloggs
Complete Oat Bran Flakes - Kelloggs
Cracklin' Oat Bran - Kelloggs
Crunchy Corn Bran - Quaker
Fiber 7 Flakes - Health Valley
Fiber One - General Mills
Fruit & Bran - Post
Granola, Low Fat - Kelloggs
Oat Bran - Quaker
Oat Bran Flakes - Health Valley
Oat Bran Flakes with Raisins - Health Valley
Organic Bran with Raisins - Health Valley
Raisin Bran - Kelloggs
Raisin Bran Flakes - Health Valley
Raisin Bran, Whole Grain Wheat - Post
Raisin Nut Bran - General Mills
Shredded Wheat 'n' Bran - Post
Total, Raisin Bran - General Mills
Weight Watchers Flakes 'n' Fiber
100% Natural Granola - Quaker

I am gonna look up the calories on these when I get a chance as I personally dont think you should use more than 175 cals on a brekkie cereal.

What about good old fashioned porridge low gi, low carb, low fat and keeps you satisfied for long than any other cereal you can buy

What about good old fashioned porridge low gi, low carb, low fat and keeps you satisfied for long than any other cereal you can buy

I'd go for that :clap: I think the list above relates to American cereals. Don't know whether they have a different idea about what constitues 'low sugar', but over here most of those listed are way too high.

I avoid the majority of breakfast cereals. Okay for 'treats', but not eaten on a regular basis.

Porridge is fab. Add fruit (I use frozen), zap it in the microwave and stir in some yoghurt (always add some protein to each meal if poss.).

Brilliant stuff.

Some people prefer alternatives to porridge like oatsosimple, but I know they were always very high sugar, so I avoid.

My favourite breakfasts are the porridge as above, or sometimes with raisins and cinnamon. Egg on toasted seeded bread. Fruit and yoghurt. Homemade fruit smoothies (again with yoghurt for the protein).

There's a pdf from the Which consumer report here
http://www.which.co.uk/files/application/pdf/new final breakfast tables-445-89538.pdf

It outlines the nutritional value for most cereals. It's dated 2006, but I bet there's not a huge difference for 2008:(

Thanks girls

Thanks KD for the brekkie idea's they sound great

Im off now to find some lunch ideas!

Healthy lunch idea's.

Tuna salad - salad consisting of lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, peppers and sweetcorn.

Sandwich on wholegrain bread - low fat ham and all of the salad ingredients above with no spread.

Low fat yogurt or a piece of fruit for after.

Cant think of anything else - feel free to add to this!!

Oh i love this thread cos im starting refeed today, its gonna come in handy for me!!

I love porridge anyway but never thought about adding cinamon to it sound lovely!
What kinda cimamon is it you add cos all iv seen is powdered ones :confused:

What kinda cimamon is it you add cos all iv seen is powdered ones :confused:

I use the powdered type. It's fine. I love cinnamon and often chop and apple or banana, sprinkle it with cinnamon, cover and zap it in the microwave. Yummy.

Lunches. Wholegrain bread with a variety of fillings. 2 slices are enough. I do use butter unless I have a moist filling such as mackerel. Cous cous or rice salads are good for work. wholegrain pitta breads, homemade soup. List goes on. Sometimes I just have the leftovers from the day before's dinner.

Low fat I ten to only have low fat products if the are naturally low fat ;) You need to aim (without being obsessive) to get about 30% fat from your calories. Aim for healthy fats like olive oil, advocados, oily fish. More importantly, have healthy foods you enjoy. Healthy doesn't always mean low calorie. In fact some foods that are processed to be low calorie are packed with rubbish.

Another thing. Sometimes foods get 'lost'. If you find you can't really taste the cheese in your cheese salad sandwich. Leave the cheese out and have it on it's own after. Or leave it out completely.

Did you know that researchers blindfolded people, then had them taste burgers that were identical except for the addition of a slice of cheese.

Hardly anyone could work out with burger actually had the cheese in. The taste was hidden amongst the other flavours.

I also tend to have a small amount of different items rather than a lot of one thing. A smaller couscous salad with a yoghurt, fruit, maybe some cheese or sliced chicken. The first 2 bites are the most important. They have the most flavour. It's easy to stop 'tasting' after that, and just eat....Feeding, rather than appreciating ;)

Can you tell...food is my favourite subject :D I love food more that I ever did when I was overweight. I'm in control now and I actually get to taste it all
spaghetti2b-1.gif

WOW i didnt know that about the first 2 bites of something! You've done amazing 8 stone JAYSUS woman your great! how long are you maintaning?

Thankyou. I've never maintained this long before. Reckon I'm getting the hang of it this time :clap:

About time too :D

God you know a lot about food - how did you come to know all of that? I would love to more food wise - and im trying really hard to learn now so that ill find maintaining easily.

God you know a lot about food - how did you come to know all of that?

Who? Me?

I've learnt a lot since getting to goal. Just researching and finding what works to help me maintain my weight. I never wanted to ever go back on a diet again. So far so good.

I would love to more food wise - and im trying really hard to learn now so that ill find maintaining easily.

Maintaining isn't always easy however much you know. Putting it all into practice for the long term can be a bit tough, but getting hints and tips certainly helps make the process easier :clap:

Besides, it gives you something else to focus on. I feel that one of the biggest mistakes that people make is either thinking that getting to goal means you've won the battle, or they continue in a diet mindset, which is hard to sustain

Wow KD! You are really amazing. You have such a great attitude to Maintenance. You're Ticker is also very clever!
Do you enjoy cooking? Food and cooking are two of my favourite subjects, and unfortunately since I left home to move in with my bf 9 months ago, I've put on 3 st and he's put on 1.5 st. We're both on diets now. He's not on Lipotrim, just eating healthy. I'm still preparing his food to get me used to preparing healthy food.
Do you have any dinner tips?

Everyone always tells me I'm an amazing cook, and I've decided they're completely wrong. When I cook I use gallons of butter and cream, chocolate, oil. Of COURSE it tastes good! I should be able to make healthy food taste just as good.

Guen

Hey genevere I am in the same boat as in regards cooking food for the family everyday.

Yesterday I made them a chicken salad with a small few croutans, cucumber, lettuce, sweetcorn and beetroot - there was somthing else too but its not coming to me.

Because the weather has been so nice I havent really been doing hot dinners -the other day I made them big wraps with chicken,lettuce, peppers, cucumber and a bit of coleslaw.

I made smoked coley the other day I got a small dish filled it with hot water sprinkled in some chicken stock and stuck in the oven. My 2 yr old daughter who does not eat fish loved it.

I think the trick is to remove as much fat as you can, without making the food yuk

Hi Ally,

Has anyone in your family lost weight since you started lipotrim? My bf lost 6lbs since I started, to date I've lost about 18, though weigh in isn't til Tue.
I wonder am I starving him? Hmmm!

I know in theory cooking for family members might seem like it makes the diet harder, but I think it might actually make it easier. I find, I get off college and dream about food the whole way home, then make dinner for bf, and drink my shake n chat with him, while enjoying the yummy smell of it, and then after dinner, no more cravings. Maybe it's my shake stopping the cravings, but it might be psychological. I'm not used to getting food after "dinner time" so I don't want it.

Are you finding the things that tempt you are changing? Week 1 all I wanted was cakes, crisps, bars, and chips. But over the weekend I had a dinner party, and went to a garden party, and both times I didn't look twice at the deserts but the smell of the salads was driving me crazy I wanted it so bad!

Back