Gout and acid reflux/heartburn

slimmerwithin

As anyone else experienced gout or acid reflux on this diet. Since starting just over two weeks ago I have developed both, which I have to say is very painful and making me quite miserable. Doesn't help as I have 6 stone to lose and I am slow loser compared to lots of others on here. Lost 4lb first week and 2.5 lb the second week. Any advice?

Yes to acid reflux. Ranitadine is a god send. No to gout, could be the toxins working the way out of your system. Weight losses tend to average out over the month to a stone a month. Some weeks can be really poor losses but it does average out.

Give it a straight month and see how you feel then. Do you normally struggle with weight loss ?

Keep at it x

As anyone else experienced gout or acid reflux on this diet. Since starting just over two weeks ago I have developed both, which I have to say is very painful and making me quite miserable. Doesn't help as I have 6 stone to lose and I am slow loser compared to lots of others on here. Lost 4lb first week and 2.5 lb the second week. Any advice?

As most food replacement VLCDs are similar...I had a look in Dr. Alan N Howard's book and have posted what he says below about Gout...hope that helps. Couldn't find anything in his book about acid reflux but if you do a search of the forum you will find some threads about it. As you will probably have to go to your doctor you could ask for advice on this as well.

All VLCDs produce a rise in serum uric acid levels during the first two weeks, which may lead to an acute attack of gout in known suffers. Preventative treatment with uricosuric agent should be given concurrently with the Cambridge Diet from the day of commencement.

Source: page 41 The Cambridge Diet by Dr Alan N Howard
Gout sufferers generally have raised blood levels of uric acid (hyperuricaemia) which can cause crystals of sodium urate to be deposited in the joints - an extremely painful condition. Using the Cambridge Diet as a Sole Source of nutrition may also raise uric acid levels, so if you are susceptible to gout you could risk triggering an attack, particularly during the first few days of your diet. Anyone with a history of gout should be warned of this possibility and their doctor must sign the Medical Record Form and adjust their medication to prevent an attack while on 'Sole Source' Source: Page 137 Questions and Answers...The Cambridge Diet by Dr Alan N Howard

Well done on your weight loss:clap::clap::clap:

Back