Grain Free Weight Loss - 4 stone in 5 months - :)

SamanthaJones

Is on a mission.
My daughter is 19 months old and I am still carrying four extra stone from pregnancy (I was two stone over weight when getting pregnant) and I have decided 2013 is the year to shed the excess fat and start looking fit and fantastic.

I am currently slumping around in size 18/20 black sacks and yoga pants that are comfortable on my bulging waist. I feel scruffy; lethargic and so fed up!
Summer is only around the corner, I have a holiday booked in July and a girlie weekend away in August... I so need to be in shape and feeling good about myself for these events.

I have tried many ways of losing weight before; counting points; syns; fat grams; calories etc And find this way of living so regimented that I know it isn't for me. Not only that - all these plans allow you to eat processed carbs and these are the foods that I know make me binge eat, make me feel lethargic and give me various complaints including migraine from wheat and indigestion from sugar and oats.
I have dabbled with the Atkins before and have loved the energy and the results I acheived however I don't want to be limited to the amount of fruit or veg I eat. With the Atkins I did suffer from constipation which eating fruit and veg will help with and I think they are excellent snack foods packed with vitamins.
So my plan is: No Grains & Simple Exercise.

I am keeping this diary on the low carb forum as it is essentially a low-carb diet, certainly compared to most diets yet I won't limit any fruit, veg or potatos. Banned foods: Wheat, Oats, Rye, Corn and Sugar. I shall also limit foods packed with chemicals and additives but this is a personal choice looking at long term health rather than a weight loss choice. So for me, low cal drinks are out of the window. However I shall not limit tea or coffee ... or diary.
I shall eat three meals a day and two healthy snacks. They shall be moderately sized but other than that no counting or weighing.
Exercise wise I won't be going to the gym or out running as I have a toddler and she is very time consuming so exercise shall fit in with her and around her. This will include walking; dancing; exercise DVDs; playing games etc

My holiday is 15 weeks away from today and my goal (lofty though it is) is to lose 3 stone in 15 weeks. The final stone I hope to shift by week 22.

4 stones in 5 months (23rd March to 24th August) - I will do it. :)

P.S I have also taken some before photographs (arghhhhh) to be broadcast at a later date only when I am no longer that rotund chubby-honey. ;)

Last edited:
Hi why don't you have a look at the primal blueprint eating plan - is very similar but also has advise for exercise etc

Google "marks daily apple"

It also incorporates a style of intermittent fasting - but you can follow the 5:2 plan by Dr Mosley - which is basically lowering your kcals to 500 for 2 non consecutive days like Monday and Thursday has loads of Heath benefits including weight loss :)

The primal diary space is busier than the low carb space ..

Good luck

following primal blueprint and experimenting with the 5:2 fasting diet

Hello there :)

Thanks for that. I have read a bit about Paleo eating previously and it is certainly more my desired way of eating than having food plans were you can eat processed carbs. If I eat processed carbs within a matter of 30 minutes I crave more food and the over-eating cycle begins. Eating a diet high in protein and veggies seems to limit my desire for excess food and turns off that raging appetite. I shall certainly dipping in and out of all the low-carbs forums for advice and support.

Good luck with your goals.

Sam x

Day 0ne ~

Today's menu:

B/fast: 2 egg ham omelette
Lunch: Grilled bacon chop, spinach, coleslaw
Dinner: Oven baked belly pork, carrots, peas.
Snks: Apple, Frozen raspberries, sm pkt almonds

Exercise: 30 mins dance with little one to Girl's Aloud Dvd (her current fav) & 30 crunches; 30 squats, 30 arm exercises with dumbells.

Day Two ~

Today's menu:

B/fast: 2 egg cheese omelette
Lunch: Roast chicken, green beans, peas, spinach
Dinner: Large ham salad
Snks: Apple, Frozen raspberries, sm pkt brazil nuts

Exercise: 45 min power walk whilst DP has little one & 30 crunches; 30 squats, 30 arm exercises with dumbells.

Day one went okay... well I didn't succumb to carbs even though I was sorely tempted a couple of times. I was okay until my little one went to bed and then I got that nagging little voice saying 'it's only day one, have some popcorn and crisps - enjoy the evening watching TV and we can start again tomorrow - what difference does one day make?'
This is the story my 'carb addict' always comes up with as soon as I embark on a healthy eating plan to lose weight ... and I always listen to my inner addict and binge on carbs. I know time is of the essence and one day will count as it would be another day of making myself feel awful from consuming junk. So after 30 minutes of fighting the craving, I went to bed with my laptop to watch a DVD. As soon as I got into bed, I no longer wanted food. Sat in front of the TV at night, feeling shattered... it has become habitual to comfort eat - I am going to have to break the cycle to break the addict. No more TV at night???? Arghhhhhhh.

Still day one was a success ... hopefully this will get easier. Actully ... I know it gets easier after a few days low-carbing, I just need to crack this first week and then it is onwards and upwards. Roll on Saturday.

Sam x

Last edited:
Yesterday was quite a testing time; it had been a long day with deep snow outside and it was so bitterly cold I couldn't really take the little one out. She is also teething with two back molars so she was incredibly cranky all day. Many times my carb addict begged for those carbs that would give me a physical lift and some mental energy (temporarily.) The addict was in usual justifying mode: you need them today you're stressed; two biscuits won't ruin your weightloss plan (who can just stop at two biscuits?) and the most usual one... you can start again tomorrow.
However, I dug deep and everytime my cravings came I got busy: ironing; building towers on the floor with little one; painting with little one; cleaning the oven!!! What cleaning the oven rather than pigging out on chocolate digestives?
I must be mad. But I would rather be mad than fat and ill. :)
When my little one finally went to sleep after a tearful two hours in bed because of her teeth I was so incredibly tired, I had a hot bath and was in bed at 9pm myself. Which wasn't such a bad move as little one was up every two hours with teething pains so last night's sleep was very broken. Anyway that is day two done and dusted, another day closer to goal.

Day Three ~

Today's menu:

B/fast: Grilled bacon, egg, tomatoes.
Lunch: Mackeral and small baked potato with salad
Dinner: Quinoa porridge made with soya milk and pumpkin seeds
Snks: wafer thin ham, strawbs, sm pkt hazel nuts

Exercise: 45 min pushchair walk to see the horses with Little One & 30 crunches; 30 squats, 30 arm exercises with dumbells.

hi, sounds like you doing well. i could have just written your diary myself...am back on day 1 after giving in to my carb/sugar addict for the last fortnight. previous had been eating paleo (relaxed a little) for 2 weeks and felt fantastic. really struggling to get my head round why i felt the need to do it. my danger time is the evening too and hear exactly the same thoughts with regards to do.."start again tomorrow " ... "one last treat" etc.. have decided this time im not prepared to give up potatoes and just knowing that seems to take the pressure off. my most favourite food ever!! also still do dairy..just not as much. anyways sorry for rambling just wanted to say hi and good luck. its nice to find someone with the same kind of mindset. x

Hello VanWoodle :)

That carb-addict is a real pain isn't it ... she will use any old con to get you to 'junk' out on rubbish carbs and then leave you feeling bloated and fed up.

You have had some fabulous weight loss so far; well done you! Did you achieve that on Paleo or Slimming World? I have tried SW and WW but I can't be trusted or should I say the CA in me can't be trusted with carbs and one slice of bread/one biscuit/on pkt of crisps is never enough.
Yes I am not giving up the good old spud. They don't make me feel bloated and ill like grains and I shall have them with some protein so I have no worries about a blood sugar spike causing food cravings.

Good luck with the last part of your weight loss - only 17lbs to go - keep up the good work. x x

i was a sw girl all the way! really don't know why, but reached a point where my head switched off and just rebelled every opportunity !! was starting to save up my syns just for crap, then not being able to stop. must be honest, I've never thought about carb addiction. always just blamed the sugar. since reading your post been thinking about it and it makes sense. struggling like no ones business today...serious withdrawal headache and irritable as hell! we will succeed !! x

Hello again Vanwoodle. x
We will succeed, absolutely ... as they say in the L'oreal adverts; We're worth it. :flirt2:
This time - I refuse to give into the Carb Addict and her destructive needs for a momentary pleasure that leads to long term pain.

What kind of menus are you following at the moment Vanwoodle?

I went to bed early again last night as Little One is still teething and is bad during the night.
I am feeling tired and headachey today - for breakfast I so wanted a big bowl of crunchy nut cornflakes for that instant comfort and sugar lift; instead I had wafer thin ham, cheese and spinach stir-fry. Still feeling low but glad I managed to ignore CA and ate low-carb instead.

The snow has all gone whoop, so today I shall power-walk with the pushchair for an hour. Woolie hats and gloves at the ready for me and little one... and then I shall come back and make a lovely hot roast chicken lunch.
I was very tempted to hop on the scales this morning and see if I had lost any weight but I resisted and will wait until Saturday. I do know my tummy is losing that carb-laden bloat and my trousers feel better around the waist... can't wait until weigh day, I am hoping for a minimum 3lbs loss; that is what I need to lose 3 stone before my hols - that's an average of 3lbs every week. :)

Right off to wash the brekky pots,

Love Sam x

Day Four ~

Today's menu:

B/fast: Wafer thin ham, spinach and cheese stir-fry.
Lunch: Roast Chicken, carrots, peas, green beans and mayo.
Dinner: Small baked potato, home-made coleslaw, tuna and lettuce.
Snks: strawbs, sm pkt almonds nuts

Exercise: 60 min power walk with Little One & 30 crunches; 30 squats, 30 arm exercises with dumbells.

im not following any set menu as such, im kinda making it up as i go along! kinda paleo but with dairy and spuds. meat,veg,fruit,nuts.. also still eating things like mayo/ sauces etc. no junk as in crisp-sweets-cakes etc or bread/grains. trying to make a conscious effort to eat good fats too. strange having real butter back in the house but no thick white crusty bread to slaver it on!! this was what i did a few weeks back and felt good. trying to concentrate on eating for health and hoping the weight loss comes naturally.
really like the way you talk about your ca as a separate person! i think it makes it easier to deal with, as im actually quite good at helping others ..just don't listen to my own advice.
hope your little one is doing ok. i was really lucky..both mine didn't
suffer too much at night. take after me and love their sleep too much!
have a good day and thanks for the help!

Hi, here to subscribe.

Love your motivation. Your doing great.
I'm currently doing calorie counting but want to stop eating junk which is hard.

Like you I also have a teething baby
who has two molars breaking through, who is hard work and making me want to eat chocolate.

I've just brought the primal blue print book and hope this will help me

Sorry if you have already mentioned it but where do you get your recipes from ? Do you find you are still hungry in the evenings? X

Good morning ladies :)

I hope you're well.

Lisa; Primal is a great way of eating as within a matter of days your appetite is turned off and you don't crave carbs as with all low carb diets you won't feel hungry like you do if you're eating 'junk' carbs. Yesterday was the first day I didn't feel hungry at all so as usual by day three my need for constant grazing has been turned off. I don't follow recipes as such Lisa I just glean info from all the low-carb diets and use bits and pieces from those that I like.
I know how you feel about the 'hard work' of teething babies; my little girl who is normally an absolute delight turns into a crying machine when she is teething and in the last few weeks has learnt how to say 'no'... so at the moment she doesn't want to co-operate or sleep at night due to pain. So my days and nights seem very long... how I haven't drowned myself in chocolate yet I don't know.
It is Easter at the weekend and no doubt a few Easter Eggs will find their way in to the house for my two children .... oh how will I resist? :eek: I am uber determined this time, so fed up of being fat and depressed about being fat... so Easter Eggs do your worst, I won't succumb.

Thanks Vanwoodle, I do see my CA as a different person or should I say a different voice from the rational, highly functioning Sam that is successful in other parts of my life. I struggle with losing weight and keeping it off... carbs are an addiction for me just like cigarettes are, (I know the cravings feels the same as I am an ex-smoker; I gave up some ten years ago.) Last night I wasn't hungry but CA came out to play after a long day of wittering from Little One and housework... CA kept saying 'get some hot buttered toast you will feel so much better, you need it... let's start again tomorrow.' I didn't argue with the CA thinking 'no, I am not eating toast I am dieting' as that keeps my thoughts on food. I knew it was just tiredness and stress talking so I totally ignored the inner carb craver and got busy. I went up stairs ran a deep bubble bath and manicured my hands. By the time I was finished, I was ready for bed and another day of sensible weight-loss was under my belt.
I am hoping to ignore my CA that much, she loses all her power and eventually goes away.
Your diet sounds a lot like mine Vanwoodle... so you can eat most things but avoid the stuff that makes you crave more. Sounds sensible. ;) How are you weighing yourself? Weekly? Fortnightly? Measurements? Or just eating healthily for life and not bothering with the scales. < I wish I could do that and maybe one day I will but at the moment the numbers mean so much; thanks to a life time of peer and media pressure. Oh and of course pressure from myself; that voice that says 'have another cake; let's get a packet of biccys we can start again tomorrow; four slices of toast will make you feel better than two, is the same voice that says 'you fat mess get a grip' and 'you have been dieting for years, you're a failure, you will never get in to the 10's again.'
I am my own worst enemy... or should I say I was... I am working on it now. Times ticking for this self-defeating, self-loathing, uber-critical inner pest. See ya CA, you're on your way out!

We have snow here again in East Yorkshire 'sighs' where is blasted Spring? It is so much easier to lose weight when the weather is brighter; seems to give you a lift and creates enthusiasm. Today we are visiting Grandma so that will be nice - however I just have to avoid the plate of cakes and biscuits she will no doubt bring out.

Have a lovely day ladies,

Sam x x

Day Five ~

Today's menu:

B/fast: Roast chicken (left over from yesterday,) fried egg, grilled tomato
Lunch: Baked fish with beetroot salad and mayo
Dinner: Small baked potato, cheese, grated carrot, peas, mayo
Snks: 50gms brazil nuts, raspberries, glass of soya milk

Exercise: 30 mins dance with Little One (Cheryl Cole keeps her mind off teething - no accounting for taste lol - & 30 crunches; 30 squats, 30 arm exercises with dumbells.

Quick confession: I have just hopped on the scales before having my morning cuppa and I have lost 4lbs. That's a pound a day so far, I am more than pleased with that as it puts me on target for a 3lb loss per week. (It's my TOTM too.) :D I know it will slow down by week two but hey... every pound is a pound lost FOREVER.
Right, I am putting my scales in the loft so I am not tempted again until Saturday am. ;)

Morning, fantastic weight loss. Have a lovely day.
My day hasn't started too well. Changed my sons nappy and he crawled off, did a poo in the corner of his room and then crawled through it.
My oldest is refusing to go to school saying he is poorly. Kids !

I defiently want to start eating cleaner. I was thinking of keeping rice and pasta for carbs but keeping them to a minimum with just one portion a day if that makes sense.
It doesn't help with Easter around the corner. Not sure what to do. I am a major chocoholic, I'd say that is my biggest downfall.

I guess if I can knock carbs on the head for a few days first it should get easier from there. Carbs are such a big part of my diet. Hmmmm... decisions decisions...

firstly, very well done on the 4lb loss! that's fantastic. im not letting myself get anywhere near the scales for a while. the thought of knowing what damage i did the last couple of weeks doesn't for it for me at all! gonna stay in my ignorance is bliss bubble for a while longer!! nearly completed day 3!! i too am an ex smoker (11.5 years!) and must say i found giving up the ciggies a lot easier!! x

Back