Gravy or Fat from Roast?

Meli

Gold Member
I made a roasted Peri Peri Chicken with Potatoes yesterday (no oil added and was delicious). Still have some left today, but wondering if I can use that Jelly looking stuff (is it fat?) to use as gravy for my rice?
Thanks!

Ooh, interesting question! No idea!!
I think possibly yes, if there was no fat on the chicken when cooked then it is just stock is it not? Like those gel stock pot thingys?

There was no skin on the chicken and I just marinated it in peri peri seasoning and just put a little water when it went in the oven and covered with foil, so no idea what that jelly looking stuff is?

I think it's just the juices, if you removed all visible fat i'm presuming it should be ok and no fat, if there was fat in them though it would go to the top which should be easily skimmed off x

I must admit to always using all the juices when I roast a chicken if it's been cooked in a fat free method or with frylight. I figure like Jaylou said above that the jelly etc is just basically like what is in a stock pot. Also if you were to break a chicken up and stick it in a pot with water and veg etc to make a soup you'd be eating all the juices which came out for free so what's the difference?

The juices which come from a chicken when it is cooked will naturally turn to a jelly when chilled. Any fat will have risen to the surface and is easily removed with a spoon. The difference between the jelly and the fat will be easy to see.

Back