Greatest loser competition

Nettee

Silver Member
I am being all pouty and sour grapes about this which is very childish but I just want to win something :)

I understand that the rules are the winner is the person who has lost the most altogether but hasn't yet got to target.

I think it should be done like slimmer of the week and month but be for the year - ie who has lost the most over the last year.

I probably wouldn't win anyway but as I am at target I don't qualify and the person who will probably win has lost loads - and good on her - but really has been maintaining over the last year and has not quite got to target.

It would reward someone like me who has struggled on in the long term and all those little losses had added up to more than people who have done very well for a few months and then faded away.

Never mind - I have my lovely target certificate and stone and half stone awards to be pleased about :D

Also I suppose my way would be a problem depending on when people joined - recent members would have not chance and I haven't even been a member for a whole year so perhaps would have to be disqualified on those grounds.......

I feel better after my little rant here anyway - good luck to anyone who might be winning it

yes next week someone will get the group prize - I think it is just based on Statistics so there should be a clear winner.

My old consultant never used to do this but I changed groups late last year and my new c is so I guess it must be pot luck.

It's a nationwide thing AFAIK so every group should be doing it I guess? I know they have a national competition as well, same as man/woman of the year.

I am being all pouty and sour grapes about this which is very childish but I just want to win something :)

I understand that the rules are the winner is the person who has lost the most altogether but hasn't yet got to target.

I think it should be done like slimmer of the week and month but be for the year - ie who has lost the most over the last year.

I probably wouldn't win anyway but as I am at target I don't qualify and the person who will probably win has lost loads - and good on her - but really has been maintaining over the last year and has not quite got to target.

It would reward someone like me who has struggled on in the long term and all those little losses had added up to more than people who have done very well for a few months and then faded away.

Never mind - I have my lovely target certificate and stone and half stone awards to be pleased about :D

Also I suppose my way would be a problem depending on when people joined - recent members would have not chance and I haven't even been a member for a whole year so perhaps would have to be disqualified on those grounds.......

I feel better after my little rant here anyway - good luck to anyone who might be winning it

I did think it was a little strange that being at target disqualifies you. It's not as if you are ever likely to win it twice in a row. I am approaching my third target now, having fallen through the two previous ones. I have lost probably more than twice as much as anyone else in the group, but if we had had the competition a month ago i would have been at target two and not able to get it.

I did think it was a little strange that being at target disqualifies you. It's not as if you are ever likely to win it twice in a row. I am approaching my third target now, having fallen through the two previous ones. I have lost probably more than twice as much as anyone else in the group, but if we had had the competition a month ago i would have been at target two and not able to get it.

Being at target doesn't disqualify you. The greatest loser is just that. The person with the biggest loss.

There are rules around the national comp with regards to weight losses and target members but that's nothing to do with the group final.

Being at target does disqualify you in my group. I think you could easily win it twice in a row if it didn't and there was no time limit.

Maybe they could/should include people who have reached target within the last year.

Being at target does disqualify you in my group. I think you could easily win it twice in a row if it didn't and there was no time limit.

Maybe they could/should include people who have reached target within the last year.

You can win it twice in a row, and more.

I think maybe your consultant is just setting her own guidelines. There are rules for the national comp but perhaps your c sets her own rules as she doesn't have anyone who fits the criteria.

This always happens with competitions, the "fairness card" gets played. It's not fair for smaller losses, not fair as I will never win if, not fair as I'm not male/female/young etc.

Lets face it, competitions are there for one big reason........promotion for slimming world.

In my group,someone has lost ten stone. No one else comes close and unless they leave the group, probably won't. Bit, they should be celebrated, year after year if that's the case because its an amazing achievement.

In your case you could win Woman if the year, top target member, miss slinky...........and when you've been at target for a year, top diamond member.

you don't have to not be at target to win- you have to have lost in the year before

so for example- if i was at target now- with my 10 1/2 stone weight loss- i would have to have lost in the previous 12 months. it's 7lb minimum loss according to the national requirements (if i read it right)

so if i got to target this time last year and was exactly the same weight- i would not qualify- but if i was at target now, taking where i was last year into consideration (i had lost 8st 5 by this time last year) then i qualify.

as it happens i am not at target as i changed it in january- so i do qualify anyway lol

there are other competitions for people who dont have as much to lose- woman of the year is a vote- you could win that- but if you have less than 3 stone weight loss then you can't go to districts

there is, however, miss slinky in november which is aimed mainly for ladies with not as much to lose and there is no minimum weight loss requirement to enter the national competition :)

i misunderstood. I thought it was for losses in the year, not losses overall. I can see why restricting people at target can act as a way to encourage others.

i misunderstood. I thought it was for losses in the year, not losses overall. I can see why restricting people at target can act as a way to encourage others.

But people at target aren't restricted. It doesn't matter.

Our GL has lost ten stone. She is at target. She cant go on to the national as she has not lost 7lb in the last year.

she shouldn't be able to win group either though- i know that our group winner is the same as if they enter the national competition- i.e. simply to have lost 7lb in the previous year and to have lost the most weight in total

On the nationals though people like littleflutterby and me are but amateurs in comparisons to those people who lose 20+ stone...

Nope she can win.

it must be at the discression of the consultant then- because according to my consultant and my best friend who is also one- they cannot win greatest loser, even at group level, if they haven't lost in the previous 12 months

and i think that's only fair- i've had my moment of "ohhhh, ahhhh look how much you've lost"- next year (depending on how far away i am from target tomorrow!) someone else can have the recognition :)

I won Greatest Loser tonight with a loss of 6 stone 0.5lb. Dead chuffed!

Back