greedy ??

Rachel57

Hi all
I've noticed after i eat i don't feel full up . My portion sizes are big ish and i still want more an hour later ! I've tried 3 meals with fruit snacks , I've tried 5 small meals throughout the day and now im beginning to feel like im a greedy guts ! I have stopped smoking so i know that Will contribute to it but i like to feel full and content . Im eating loads of fruit and veg and drinking a fair bit of fluids . Any ideas ?

Hey, I resemble that remark! (Must be a "Rachel" thing....) I was born without a "Satisfied" switch and just have "Full" and "Feed Me" as the options, and from what I've been reading, this may be related to ghrelin which is the hunger hormone. Since there's not enough research to date on ghrelin and leptin, I am reconciling myself to the fact that I may have to tough it out for the rest of my life. Sux, but I've also learned that hot liquids fill be up more than cold ones. So, off to brew some tea.

I really struggle with portion sizes and have completely lost touch with my 'full' signals and hardly ever feel full anymore so one of the best tricks I have is making a zero point soup and having it as a starter before my meal.

I think that works because it means I take longer from start to finish of a meal. I also have fruit as a pudding directly after my meal if i am still hungry.

I tend to try waiting after a meal for about 10 minutes and then if I still feel hungry having pudding of fruit or similar.

It's tough because if you don't feel full it's harder to avoid snacking on unhealthy stuff!

I think if you have changed your diet a lot and cut out a lot of sugars maybe your blood sugar levels are a bit messed up, that could have the impact of making you feel hungry when it drops... banana's are a good way to stablize it, as is a chromium supplement or using cinnamon in recipes...

Hope that helps! Hx

Do you do any cardio? I find just doing some Dance Central, going for a walk, doing my exercise CD's, running etc - exercise and lots of water seems to suppress my appetite.

ah so its not just me then ! Im eating a full tin of peach slices (rinsed) as i write this bearing in mind I've just had a big Sunday dinner ! Im going to check that link out for sure !
You know saying about blood sugar , i do get pretty shaky at times but i just thought i leave it to long in between.meals . But yes my diet has changed rapidly here's an example
Smoker me
Breakfast coffee
Lunch nothing
Snacks ? Yeah right
Teatime BIG portion of whatever although food is always made from scratch .
Maybe tea n.toast before bed !
Non smoker me
Breakfast porridge or weetabix
Snack banana apple orange maybe toast
Lunch 0 point soup salad and ham wrap fruit (still hungry )
Snack fruit or yogurt
Teatime starving ! Maybe a spa bol , casserole etc always have extra veg
Starving hmmm any points left ? Maybe dip into weekly for toast and a digestive

So as you can see its a big change ! Hot drinks fill me up aswell so I've been.having a lot of tea . But im the type of person who could eat a full Asda cyo pizza and demolish the lot ! Im.5"2 and weigh 10st 10.5lb .

I suppose you need to try different combinations of food to find what's best for you. I find if I have porridge for breakfast I feel hungrier than if I have, say a one egg omlette with mushrooms or ham but then it's not massively practical to have a cooked breakfast unless you get up really early!

Do you eat fast too? I have to really concentrate on eating slowly, if I am doing anything else when I eat I wolf my food down and it feels like it doesn't even touch the sides if I slow down and think more about what I am eating, the taste and the texture it helps (sounds a bit daft I know! But it does!).

Yep I do all that . I've purposely made myself slow down , cut my food into smaller pieces , using a smaller plate and drink before and after I eat . I seriously don't know what else to do . I'm going to have a word with my leader if it doesn't settle down because honestly I could eat just about everything in sight from the fruit bowl to the fridge . :-o

You poor thing, I hate when you go to bed feeling hungry, it doesn't inspire you to stick to your diet! :(

Maybe try a Chromium supplement, i take it and feel it helps as long as you take it regularly you can buy it in the vitamin section of most supermarkets or health food shops x FYI below:

http://chromiumsupplements.net/

Just spoke to my leader about my.immense hunger and she thinks its lack of protein which when i think of it , i hardly ever have meat in my diet so I'll give it a go ;-)

yayhelen said:
I really struggle with portion sizes and have completely lost touch with my 'full' signals and hardly ever feel full anymore so one of the best tricks I have is making a zero point soup and having it as a starter before my meal.

I think that works because it means I take longer from start to finish of a meal. I also have fruit as a pudding directly after my meal if i am still hungry.

I tend to try waiting after a meal for about 10 minutes and then if I still feel hungry having pudding of fruit or similar.

It's tough because if you don't feel full it's harder to avoid snacking on unhealthy stuff!

I think if you have changed your diet a lot and cut out a lot of sugars maybe your blood sugar levels are a bit messed up, that could have the impact of making you feel hungry when it drops... banana's are a good way to stablize it, as is a chromium supplement or using cinnamon in recipes...

Hope that helps! Hx

This zero soup idea is great I hadn't even thought of it I have to say I have lost touch with portion size and the satisfied to full signal too, I have been teaching my children to clear their plate too???? This has made me question this too and change it too eat as much as you can asbi don't want then having this issue when they are older :-/ I also find if I have a so called more filling breakfast I'm always hungrier earlier than if I only had a slice of toast with my cuppa strange isnt it you have said some great ideas tho and I'm def going to try the soup starter idea can't remember where the recipe is tho gonna have to have a search for it and buy the ingredients, my name is vicki by the way I'm now starting my 3rd week on WW :)

I can so relate to this! The whole reason I have a weight issue is my lack of a full switch!

One thing that I've been reading up on a lot is breakfast because I am definitely hungrier earlier if I eat breakfast and am hungry again mid afternoon, however I have been keeping a food diary and have noticed that if I do eat breakfast I actually want to snack less in an evening and am more satisfied by my main meal at dinner time...& research seems to suggest that this is true! Very interesting!

I do think though that if you have a big appetite dieting is always about willpower & self control, doesn't matter how slim ive been etc I could always finish a mixed grill and chips and want pudding! In fact I watch supersize vs superskinny & while everyone else is saying 'how could they eat all of that?' I'm watching thinking 'yeah I could eat that'

Very interesting seeing the post about hormones, will definitely follow that link! x x

Back