Greggs

mebluetopaz

Does anybody know the syn value for a Greggs Egg Mayo sandwich on granary bread??? Might not have been granary, but it was brown with bits in it! lol.

I wouldn't normally "eat out" but it was wayyyyy past lunch and I thought it was probably the "healthiest" thing there! lol

Paula
-x-

Menu - Greggs

According to their website it is on oatmeal bread and is 410 calories. Using 1 syn for every 20 calories that makes it 20½ syns I'm afraid.

Hiya. Just put it through the syns calculator for you using egg as the free food allowance and it comes out at 14.5 syns so not a total disaster.

Fyi next time, choose something made with wm bread as you can take 6 syns off and use part of the bread as your heb, and avoid mayo. Should keep the syn count down. Something like chicken salad on wm bread, no mayo would prob be about 8 or 10 syns max

Hiya. Just put it through the syns calculator for you using egg as the free food allowance and it comes out at 14.5 syns so not a total disaster.

Fyi next time, choose something made with wm bread as you can take 6 syns off and use part of the bread as your heb, and avoid mayo. Should keep the syn count down. Something like chicken salad on wm bread, no mayo would prob be about 8 or 10 syns max

I thought pre-packed sandwiches didn't have any free food allowance, and that we had to use the "1 syn to every 20 calories" rule? xx

Princess_Stevie said:
I thought pre-packed sandwiches didn't have any free food allowance, and that we had to use the "1 syn to every 20 calories" rule? xx

Haven't seen that one myself but you could well be right. I don't eat them tbh.

Seems a bit silly to say that boiled egg isn't free if its in a pre packed sandwich though!

Haven't seen that one myself but you could well be right. I don't eat them tbh.

Seems a bit silly to say that boiled egg isn't free if its in a pre packed sandwich though!

I could be wrong, but I'm sure I've read that somewhere. One of the SW guru's should be able to help.

I agree though, it does seem pretty silly. I work in Peters bakers on a Saturday morning, and the sandwiches are all made fresh that day. Quite often for my break I'll have a chicken salad sandwich and just syn the bread/roll, as it just consists of chicken, lettuce, cucumber and tomato. The only thing I would suggest is avoiding mayo, like you pointed out :) as it is highly unlikely to be the low fat variety xx

Thanks for your replies.

The bread they used looked browner than that, but hey ho! Today's lesson.....don't eat sandwiches out!!!! I knew I should have been more prepared and taken fruit with me. The only reason we even stopped was because my little one wanted food, so I picked sandwich over mcd's *sigh*

Thanks again
Paula
-x-

mebluetopaz said:
Thanks for your replies.

The bread they used looked browner than that, but hey ho! Today's lesson.....don't eat sandwiches out!!!! I knew I should have been more prepared and taken fruit with me. The only reason we even stopped was because my little one wanted food, so I picked sandwich over mcd's *sigh*

Thanks again
Paula
-x-

So you made the best choice available to you at the time. Its still probably an improvement on your pre SW food choices so don't beat yourself up about it hun x

The reason pre packed sandwiches have no free food allowance is because the main ingredient is bread, therefore the bulk of the nutritional info will come from the bread and bread as we know it has no free food allowance. The filling is such a tiny part that it doesnt qualify enough to be able to count any of the pre packed sandwich with a free food allowance.

Is the same with pizza or pasties etc, they may contain say chicken, but the main ingredient is the base or the pastry.

It is usually the case that the first ingredient listed on the packet must be a free food for it to qualify for a free food allowance. However all snack type items like crisps, chocolate, ice-cream and biscuits, as well as ready made sauces and soups also have no free food allowance.

For a pre packed sandwich you can deduct 6 syns from the total value if you count it as your HEb, but the bread must be whole wheat. Be aware that many breads although they look whole wheat, are not.

Princess_Stevie said:
I could be wrong, but I'm sure I've read that somewhere. One of the SW guru's should be able to help.

I agree though, it does seem pretty silly. I work in Peters bakers on a Saturday morning, and the sandwiches are all made fresh that day. Quite often for my break I'll have a chicken salad sandwich and just syn the bread/roll, as it just consists of chicken, lettuce, cucumber and tomato. The only thing I would suggest is avoiding mayo, like you pointed out :) as it is highly unlikely to be the low fat variety xx

I think what you're saying is a bit different as you make the sandwich yourself so you know exactly what you're putting in it :) x

http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world-weight-loss-diary/187905-jos-journey-infinity-beyond.html

Thanks for explaining that, BritMum! It makes a lot more sense now.

Paula, try not to worry too much. Like kingleds said, you made the best choice at the time. The syn value in a McD's would have been significantly higher, so you were good to get a sandwich :) And at least now you know for future reference xx

Back