Growing herbs any advice

Discussion in 'Slimming World Off Topic' started by peggypig, 13 April 2011 Social URL.

1. peggypig

peggypig Silver Member

Start Weight:
    11st10lb
    Current Weight:
    9st4.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st4lb
    Lost(%):
    2st5.5lb(20.43%)
    Diet:
    sw extra easy & green
    Ive planted some Golden thyme parsley,and mint I would also like to grow oregano and basil does anyone have any advice on how to look after them?

I would like to try strawberries and hanging basket tomatoes ,it can be expensive starting up so I would like to make sure I try to get it right.

Thanks lovely people.

Weigh in tonight not sure which weigh it will go ......

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Twizzle

Twizzle Full Member

Start Weight:
    9st9lb
    Current Weight:
    8st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st3lb
    Lost(%):
    1st5lb(14.07%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World Extra Easy
    regular feeding and watering, don't let the herbs flower, it changes their taste. Basil is more tender than the others so may not do so well outside, don't put it out until the frosts have gone.

for Strawberries and toms, use a specific feed, water them regularly, may even need 2x a day. There is nothing like home grown straws and toms :) don't expect too many straws in the first yr!

4. peggypig

peggypig Silver Member

Start Weight:
    11st10lb
    Current Weight:
    9st4.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st4lb
    Lost(%):
    2st5.5lb(20.43%)
    Diet:
    sw extra easy & green
    What is the best way to grow strawberries tomatoes is it hanging baskets special pots growbags ? Would it be better if I bought one of those cheap greenhouses.

Thank You

5. silly sausage

silly sausage Peas on Earth

Start Weight:
    18st6lb
    Current Weight:
    15st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st13lb(15.89%)
    Diet:
    SW veggie
    For tomatoes for hanging baskets, you can start seeds off on your windowsill in little pots until they are big enough and it is warm enough to plant outdoors. Don't sow too many seeds though. I only put 2 plants in each basket as they spread out a lot.

I put a little saucer/dish made from the base of a milk carton in the bottom of the basket liner before filling it with compost. It acts like a little reservoir.

I wouldn't leave strawberries in a greenhouse in the summer as it gets so hot under glass/polythene that they could turn to jam. They like it outside where the bees can get at them.

6. silly sausage

silly sausage Peas on Earth

Start Weight:
    18st6lb
    Current Weight:
    15st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st13lb(15.89%)
    Diet:
    SW veggie
    Re feeding toms and strawberries - I only feed them when they are in flower or fruit. If you do it earlier, they can get leggy.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.