Growing herbs any advice

peggypig

Silver Member
Ive planted some Golden thyme parsley,and mint I would also like to grow oregano and basil does anyone have any advice on how to look after them?

I would like to try strawberries and hanging basket tomatoes ,it can be expensive starting up so I would like to make sure I try to get it right.

Thanks lovely people.

Weigh in tonight not sure which weigh it will go ......

regular feeding and watering, don't let the herbs flower, it changes their taste. Basil is more tender than the others so may not do so well outside, don't put it out until the frosts have gone.

for Strawberries and toms, use a specific feed, water them regularly, may even need 2x a day. There is nothing like home grown straws and toms :) don't expect too many straws in the first yr!

What is the best way to grow strawberries tomatoes is it hanging baskets special pots growbags ? Would it be better if I bought one of those cheap greenhouses.

Thank You

For tomatoes for hanging baskets, you can start seeds off on your windowsill in little pots until they are big enough and it is warm enough to plant outdoors. Don't sow too many seeds though. I only put 2 plants in each basket as they spread out a lot.

I put a little saucer/dish made from the base of a milk carton in the bottom of the basket liner before filling it with compost. It acts like a little reservoir.

I wouldn't leave strawberries in a greenhouse in the summer as it gets so hot under glass/polythene that they could turn to jam. They like it outside where the bees can get at them.

Back