Grrrr - New kitchen being fitted starting next Monday...

Lucky7

Lucky7
... and the landlord has just seen fit to warn me of this today. Obviously everything needs to be emptied out of every cupboard and draw, and I have no-where to bloody put all that. My OH thinks I'm making a mountain out of an anthill and that we can 'just chuck everything on the spare bed'. I don't even want to think about how long all this is going to take. That's before I even think about trying to stick to plan.

I don't know whether I want to cry or shout. Obviously a new kitchen will be bloody lovely once it's in, but a bit more notice would have been good.

Anyone got any words of wisdom for me on this? Is my OH right. Is it actually completely straightforward?? I just can't think straight at the moment. :(

steamer and a microwave in the spare room and a kettle are all you need... possibly a slow cooker...

cook lots of stuff like pasta dishes this weekend and freeze them, then it's just a ping away..

shouldn't be too bad, I took my kitchen out the week I moved in, and finaly got round to putting the new one in 2 years later.. ( I'd set up "camp" in the spare room and was raising funds to get the kitchen re-plastered in that time.. )

There's no way I can wash up the slow cooker in our mini bathroom sink though, and there's no bath, just a shower. And our equally miniscule spare room is already full of c**p, which is to be joined by the entire contents of 8 kitchen cupboards, so setting up camp in the spare room is not a prospect that I'm relishing to be frank.

It's going to have to be a huge cook at the weekend and freezing things and hope I can find somewhere to put the microwave where there's a plug and there's room to open the door of it. This is not a big house!!

If I'd known before I could have started preparing earlier by doubling up meals I was cooking and freezing half. Jeez.

you have a washing up bowl don't you? fill it with hot water from the kettle to wash up and umptyh it down the loo..

you can tell you were never in the girl guides... or scouts.. :)
we used to have to make bowl stands out of branches when we went camping, or wash up on the floor... :)

It really doesn't take long to fit a kitchen- day or two, depending on the size of your kitchen and whether a plumber/electrician is needed.

Feeling slightly better now have started a To-Do and Shopping lists.
I really don't like being forced out of my routine. There's lots of tins of soup and salads with rady cooked meat on there. That'll be fine as long as it isn't too many days.

Yeah don't panic - if your landlord has arranged to have it fitted, the fitters won't hang around!!

I'd say get some meals prepped that can be reheated in the microwave - that & salads anyway.

Just think of your lovely new kitchen at the end of it all when you want to scream!!

when I had my new kitchen fitted 2 years ago the cooker broke the day after it was installed so I ended up nearly 6 weeks without one - I lost A STONE! I couldn't bake pies & cakes you see. I'm a good girl now though!

A new kitchen sounds nice, just think how great it'll be to glide around and prepare healthy lush foods in it !!! Worth the pain !! It would be an ideal time to declutter as you empty wouldn't it, sorry I'm a bit tidy. Then you won't waste time when you come to pop it all back in !!! Saves having to do it come Spring Cleaning !! ( Lord, do people still do that, I'm guilty of it !! I blame my dear late Mum for that little quirk !!! )

Diva x

I do appreciate the new kitchen. It just that we very rarely actually go away at the weekend and it's sods law that I'm off to Norwich Sunday afternoon and night for a gig.

I think my landlord was a bit peeved that he's got to arrange getting keys to the fitter himself because I won't be there to let him in. GIVE ME NOTICE OF THESE THINGS!!!! Can't complain really though as he's generally a VERY good landlord compared to most out there.

I wouldn't let the landlord give the keys to a fitter to let himself in..
you don't know this guy and it's your stuff in there even if you rent it..
demand that the landlord is there all times while the fitter is and you aren't.. after all, with no one to keep and eye on him you don't know if he's going through your drawers or nicking stuff..

it must be a bit daunting for you with it happening so soon. I'd try to pack away a few things into boxes and store them away. In the meantime use a slow cooker/microwave to make some syn free meals and have a kettle at hand for mug shots, pasta in a mug and stuff like that which you can snack on. xxx

I wouldn't let the landlord give the keys to a fitter to let himself in..
you don't know this guy and it's your stuff in there even if you rent it..
demand that the landlord is there all times while the fitter is and you aren't.. after all, with no one to keep and eye on him you don't know if he's going through your drawers or nicking stuff..

The landlord only has a few people that do work for him, and they've all been doing things in his houses for years, so I'm sure that he'll be okay. I've said that we'll be back 'at some point in the morning' (Landlord won't tell builder bloke where we are), so he'll be expecting that we'll walk in any minute.

Besides - if he can find anything in this bloomin' tip, bloody good luck to him ;)

In march I'm gonna be without a kitchen for 2 whole weeks :eek: and we are a family of 4.

I am making foods lists for everyone's meals and freezing them (me & hubby will be well fed, but the kids on the other hand they are fussy eaters, they only eat chips & pizzas).

I will set up a work station in our lounge - I have a slow cooker, microwave, kettle, toaster and health grill - should be able to russtle up something decent even if its beans on toast ;).

I think the key is forward planning so any meal ideas with recipes which can be frozen shall be gratefully received.

lyn x

In march I'm gonna be without a kitchen for 2 whole weeks :eek: and we are a family of 4.

I am making foods lists for everyone's meals and freezing them (me & hubby will be well fed, but the kids on the other hand they are fussy eaters, they only eat chips & pizzas).

I will set up a work station in our lounge - I have a slow cooker, microwave, kettle, toaster and health grill - should be able to russtle up something decent even if its beans on toast ;).

I think the key is forward planning so any meal ideas with recipes which can be frozen shall be gratefully received.

lyn x

2 weeks??!!

now might be a good time to invest in a new combi microwave if you haven't already got one..
I survived for over 2 years with mine doing things in it on the oven setting.. and bacon under the grill for 10 mins is great.. :)

I shall bear that in mind if disaster strikes.

Last pasta dinner in my poor old oven now. Having my fave while I can.

you could always also re-locate the oven to a different room temporarily if you have a friendly electrician in the area...

ColJack said:
you could always also re-locate the oven to a different room temporarily if you have a friendly electrician in the area...

Or, you know, get a halogen oven!!! :D

- I don't work for the halogen oven manufacturers, honest!! But if I did I would sell squillions, they are uh-mazing!!!

Back