Gym - frusrated!!!

scooter

Gold Member
Right throughout my year on cruise I did no exercise at all and still got to target!! Have been at my target weight and not put on since last July. Decided to join a gym three weeks ago to get a bit fitter and I've now put on five pounds - I'm gutted!!!!! Not eaten any different the only difference is gym twice a week!! I feel like giving up on the exercise if its putting me weight on :-(
So much for getting fitter and feeling better!! :-(

don't despair hun, as has been said muscle weighs a lot heavier than fat, and with your exercise you are toning up your muscles and getting fitter and healthier. you may find that you don't put huge amounts on and it will level out in the end.

Hey. Im on Cruise and since January have been gymming 2-4 times a week.
I have not had the loss that most people have - and sometimes i o ly lose 1lb. However, i dont just weigh, i also measure my body and going to the gym i have lost more than 22 inches.
The Dukan book does state that if exercising more than the minimum then you may not reach your target weight as muscle weighs heavier than fat but takes up less space... Therefore you may lose inches but not pounds.
Hope this helps :)

Scooter muscle weighs more you know it and don't panic!! xxxx

Thanks guys xx it's just I've not put on for so long it was awful to see the scales creeping up again :-( I did think about muscle weighing more than fat but when I typed it in on the Internet to find out - other people had poo pooed the idea saying that was rubbish!! I knew I could rely on you guys to cheer me up!!! I just better not creep into the next stone zone or that's it the gym membership goes out the window and its back to slouching on the settee!!!!
Ps I was that k ........ The first session I could hardly walk back to my car!! I even did a spinning class not having a clue what it entailed - apparently aching legs, racing heart and a numb bum!!! I do expect to look like a supermodel after all this effort!!! This gym lark is certainly tiring and makes you ache - not sure i really like it!! Thanks again guys youve restored my faith xxxxx

Hi scooter my lodger is a fitness trainer and he confirmed that muscle is defiantly heavier than fat, spinning class is a big muscle builder in the bottom half of your body as the bikes are weighted! He says that the best non muscle building toning classes are those such as boxercise as your using a wide range of muscles but with no additional weights so you are toning rather than building! He comes in useful occasionally (doesn't make up for not doing the washing up tho lol) x

Thanks guys xx might end up looking like Jodie marsh then if I keep on with the spinning!!! I'll give it another week and if weight keeps going up might have to do a rethink - did want to tone up rather than muscle build!! Don't think I'm fit enough to do boxercise tho!! Thanks for all your advice will see what the scales say to me in a weeks time xx

I'm doing the exercises in the Dukan book, and a few easy ones I saw on a youtube video. Look up modernmum she has small workouts for hips and bum and arms.

Iv just ordered a weighted hula hoop online to try and tone my very wobbly middle bits, will let you know how it goes! X

That sounds fun!! Let us know how you get on - the only hula hoops Im familiar with where the packets of salt and vinegar ones !! ;-)

oh scooter you do make me laugh. I too like those kinds !!

oh scooter you do make me laugh. I too like those kinds !!

Ha ha - it's like before a few weeks ago the only gym (Jim) I knew was the guy next door!!!! Spinning again tonight - god help me!!! - aching thighs and sweaty body!!! And if I put any more weight on then the bike will go through the window!!
;-)

It's amazing how much volume muscle has in comparison to fat. I find thet as long as I'm being good I loose weight but if I don't loose weight I loose size. NEVER the 2 together always one or the other.

Back