Gym newbie looking for weight lifting advice!

Cassia

I've just started the gym and have been really enjoying weight lifting :) I enjoy it way more than cardio.
I'd like to still do cardio for warm ups and maybe cool downs but I'd like to be concentrating more on lifting weights for inch/fat loss as I know that it is 100% possible to use weights to lose fat.
My partner and I are currently attending the gym x3 times a week for atleast one hour each time. We usually go on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

My question is... what would you suggest I do for fat/inch loss using weights at the gym? What equipment/apparatus? How many reps etc?

It's just that if I'm going to be going to the gym and trying to shift the inches, I might as well do it by doing something I seem to enjoy allot.

The one thing I do NOT want to happen is to become a female hulk so it'll have to be in moderation and not totally overboard lol! Enough to lose the inches and have definition but not enough to be body building :)

Cassia
x X x

Howdy there! Glad you really enjoy the gym, I'm a powerlifter in training, and I love weight training so much. I rarely do cardio these days, only for warm ups. (very important!)

You can lose fat doing ONLY weightlifting! I don't really diet that much at the minute. I'm pretty much eating freely (and I eat a lot!) and not gaining any weight.

I'm gonna keep this simple: you will not turn into the hulk
1) Your body would require massive amounts of calories to create muscles. Bodybuilders eat 5k + calories per day.
2) It requires some serious training, bodybuilders dedicate their lives to their sport.
3) Women are simply NOT designed to create muscle like men. (not enough testosterone!) A lot of the women you see in figure comps are on hormones or steroids, and have SERIOUSLY scary diet plans to pull that off.

You should talk to a personal trainer if you can, get them to check your form for various stuff. If you decide to have a session, outline your plans to them from the off. There's lots of info online but there is nothing like getting someone with you to check you aren't hurting yourself. They can give you tips on what kind of exercises to start with.

Currently my training involves; Squats, Bench press, Deadlifts, Rows, Clean and press, and Snatches. Clean&press and snatches is stuff I do with my personal trainer, and the rest I'm doing within a plan called Stronglifts 5x5. Its a big strength training plan. The best place to start? Kettlebells. They be my absolute favourite.

Regarding reps - At the beginning it does not matter. Get the form correct. Get comfortable with the weight. I would say don't do more than 20 reps in a go (round the 10 range is usually good) and just get into the feel of lifting things. Don't go hard headed at the beginning and hurt yourself. Once you get comfortable lower the reps a bit. I usually do between 5-8 without any breaks, and 10 with kettlebell swings. I found really high numbers of reps just wrecked my body. Heavy weights with less reps get better results on your muscles with less wear on your joints! But keep it light until you get the form right and feel ok with the movement. Ideally get someone to check you over that knows what they are doing :)

With regards diet - ensure you are eating plenty. Cambridge, and any of those low low calorie diets are NOT suited to lifting. It will hurt you and damage your body. Your muscles NEED food. I've seen and talked to too many people who are eating 1200 calories a day and doing hours of cardio, and not losing weight. Your body needs food to work. If you do calorie counting, ensure you eat your TDEE (thats your BMR + activity) every day you work out, and adjust it a bit lower for rest days. It takes time. Don't give up after a few weeks of not seeing results. Measure yourself. I would actually go as far as to say **** THE SCALES and throw them out. I haven't weighed myself in 6 months and I'm so much happier for it. Measure yourself. Take progress pics (even if you think they're awful, you never have to show anyone) and just enjoy it. This is a change of life for the better.

Make sure you warm up in the beginning, and do your stretches after your warm up (gets the blood flowing, cold stretching can pull muscles!) and just listen to your body.

I have so much functional movement its unbelievable. I am 20 stone. I can squat with my butt about 3 inches off the floor, and stay there comfortably for ages. I can lift 52.5kg of weight and put it over my head.

Also; have a look at these ladies competing in the olympics for some inspiration ;) Weightlifting - Women +75kg Group A - London 2012 Olympic Games - YouTube

Any more questions fire away :)

ALSO - important to note: I used to struggle with my eating. I felt like ASS all the time. I ate and nothing I could do would stop weight piling on at a shocking rate. Now I've developed my muscles I find I can eat what I want and the worst I do is a couple of pound a month, which I counteract with a bit more at the gym. And I'm not a gymaholic by any means lol

Howdy there! Glad you really enjoy the gym, I'm a powerlifter in training, and I love weight training so much. I rarely do cardio these days, only for warm ups. (very important!)

You can lose fat doing ONLY weightlifting! I don't really diet that much at the minute. I'm pretty much eating freely (and I eat a lot!) and not gaining any weight.

I'm gonna keep this simple: you will not turn into the hulk
1) Your body would require massive amounts of calories to create muscles. Bodybuilders eat 5k + calories per day.
2) It requires some serious training, bodybuilders dedicate their lives to their sport.
3) Women are simply NOT designed to create muscle like men. (not enough testosterone!) A lot of the women you see in figure comps are on hormones or steroids, and have SERIOUSLY scary diet plans to pull that off.

You should talk to a personal trainer if you can, get them to check your form for various stuff. If you decide to have a session, outline your plans to them from the off. There's lots of info online but there is nothing like getting someone with you to check you aren't hurting yourself. They can give you tips on what kind of exercises to start with.

Currently my training involves; Squats, Bench press, Deadlifts, Rows, Clean and press, and Snatches. Clean&press and snatches is stuff I do with my personal trainer, and the rest I'm doing within a plan called Stronglifts 5x5. Its a big strength training plan. The best place to start? Kettlebells. They be my absolute favourite.

Regarding reps - At the beginning it does not matter. Get the form correct. Get comfortable with the weight. I would say don't do more than 20 reps in a go (round the 10 range is usually good) and just get into the feel of lifting things. Don't go hard headed at the beginning and hurt yourself. Once you get comfortable lower the reps a bit. I usually do between 5-8 without any breaks, and 10 with kettlebell swings. I found really high numbers of reps just wrecked my body. Heavy weights with less reps get better results on your muscles with less wear on your joints! But keep it light until you get the form right and feel ok with the movement. Ideally get someone to check you over that knows what they are doing :)

With regards diet - ensure you are eating plenty. Cambridge, and any of those low low calorie diets are NOT suited to lifting. It will hurt you and damage your body. Your muscles NEED food. I've seen and talked to too many people who are eating 1200 calories a day and doing hours of cardio, and not losing weight. Your body needs food to work. If you do calorie counting, ensure you eat your TDEE (thats your BMR + activity) every day you work out, and adjust it a bit lower for rest days. It takes time. Don't give up after a few weeks of not seeing results. Measure yourself. I would actually go as far as to say **** THE SCALES and throw them out. I haven't weighed myself in 6 months and I'm so much happier for it. Measure yourself. Take progress pics (even if you think they're awful, you never have to show anyone) and just enjoy it. This is a change of life for the better.

Make sure you warm up in the beginning, and do your stretches after your warm up (gets the blood flowing, cold stretching can pull muscles!) and just listen to your body.

I have so much functional movement its unbelievable. I am 20 stone. I can squat with my butt about 3 inches off the floor, and stay there comfortably for ages. I can lift 52.5kg of weight and put it over my head.

Also; have a look at these ladies competing in the olympics for some inspiration ;) Weightlifting - Women +75kg Group A - London 2012 Olympic Games - YouTube

Any more questions fire away :)

ALSO - important to note: I used to struggle with my eating. I felt like ASS all the time. I ate and nothing I could do would stop weight piling on at a shocking rate. Now I've developed my muscles I find I can eat what I want and the worst I do is a couple of pound a month, which I counteract with a bit more at the gym. And I'm not a gymaholic by any means lol

Wow! What amazing advice! Thanks so much for taking the time to write such a brilliant reply! I've also taken a look at that Youtube video and those women are extremely impressive! I'd like to be quite a bit smaller in body size than them though if you get what I mean? :) Is that still possible? They are some awesome ladies though! Also Kettlebells sound good! I've always looked at those and thought... WHAT DO I DO WITH THOSE BAD BOYS!?! lol I'll start using them next time I'm at the gym (Wednesday). I've actually heard some good things about kettlebells and inch loss :)

Oh oh oh yes... also, what weight MACHINES should I use at the gym for inch loss? I think they have pretty much everything at the gym I go to lol!

XxX

Last edited:
Don't worry about getting bulky - this won't happen. Women don't have enough testosterone to develop large muscles. If you want to tone up and lose weight, intensity is key. When you lift weights, do each set do failure. Perform about four sets, 8-12 reps each. During the last two sets, you should gradually lower the weight and do more reps (about 15-20).

In the past I have managed to lift weights (strength training, no body building here!), doing squats, deadlifts, chin ups, bench press, all the usual suspects, and lose weight. The great thing about being new to lifting weights is that you will probably have the newbie-only advantage of being able to gain strength and lose weight at the same time!

The great thing about lifting weights is body recomposition - gaining muscle and losing fat helps make your body look so much better than just losing weight. I've put on weight (since starting a relationship :doh:) but it doesn't look like as much weight as it is cos of the muscle!

I love being strong and will continue to try and gain/maintain strength whilst losing weight.

Back