gym newbie!

icklerockchick

slow but steady!
joined the gym and havn't been yet eek!

thinking tonight might be the night but don't really know what to start off with.

think i am too unfit to go to classes yet lol they sound scary from outside lots of shouting and very fast music!! :eek:

don't wana push myself and be too knackered, any suggestions anyone?

X

I agree with Sarah...you dont want to over do it on your first visit and then spend the rest of the week resting in bed! Lol.
My first day at the gym...can you believe almost 3 weeks ago now?? Lol...consisted of 30mins on cross trainer, 10 mins on stepper and 10 mins on bike.
Go careful and just enjoy it...take headphones and music with you..I find that I prefer music to thinking people are watching me!

Yes Sarah-Jayne is right, they often give you an induction and sort you out with a fitness programme!

But if you dont do that, then just try easing yourself in slowly, like 5 mins on each thing, treadmill walking for 5 mins, cross trainer for 5 mins, rower for 5 mins etc.....and then build on this each time you go xxx

went to my induction a few weeks ago when I joined but since had various excuses not to go lol!!

everyone at the gym just always seems so fit lol there will be me all sweaty and red in the corner!!

guess i have to start somewhere!

aiming for maybe 40minutes i think, as have to be up at 6am for work 2moro so don't wana kill myself at the gym 2night!!

thanks for the advice !

x

Ask one of the staff if they do free programmes. At my gym (JJB) they do one to one programmes and review them for you every 6 weeks and they are really good.

Also, dont be scared of classes! You can always go and do low impact versions of the moves, trust me people are more occupied with themselves and their workout to be bothered about anyone else!

Have u had an induction at all?? If not speak to one of the instructors about what to do. I would suggest going on the bike, as it's low impact, but good for cardio, and then maybe a walk for a bit on the treadmill. Thats what I like to do....plus a bit on the cross trainer.

I was told by my fitness ins that if you are too out of breath to hold a conversation, you are working too hard, and slow down. Take it slowly, and build your way up, rather than jumping in head first, and end up quitting!

Good luck! xx

My favourite was the rowing machine, kind to the joints and uses just about every muscle you've got! Trust me the fitness enthousiasts are too intent on themselves to notice you. If you look at the fitness site on here ,click on weightloss support forum at the top of the page, there's a fitness trainer called Justin who dispenses advice. A bit intense for an old bird like me, but there's lots of good stuff. Don't be frightened of classes they're great fun! And for heaven sake get your moneysworth! They don't care whether you go or not as long as the moneys coming out of your account!

I went to Virgin Active and they are pretty good. My advice would be, do some light cardio to warm up and STRECH! Then do some more cardio and some light strength training, cardio will get your heart going and burn some fat and the weights will burn fat and help build some muscle.

Good luck!

Natt xxx

Back