gym or not gym

tanya12

so im in a pickle i have over 2 stone to lose in 10 weeks and and wondering is it better to go gym or not, i know in the long run it is but short term will it hinder my losses if i go gym? i have heard conflicting advice before so any help will be appreciated :D

I work out much harder at the gym. My gym offers classes that really make me push myself harder than I would on my own.

It depends whether you want to lose more fat or lose more weight... Working out will reduce your weight loss as your body will hold on to more water whilst building muscle, but you will lose more fat. Your choice. However, I would suggest that you don't work out for the first 2 weeks and then only slowly introduce exercise if that's the route you choose. Your body will be going through a big change with getting into ketosis as it is. You should lose the 2 stone in 10 weeks without exercise anyway. Personally I lost my weight withput exercising and then started aft I was at goal.

I did 3 stone in 11 weeks and attempted exercise but I'm not good at it, so gave it up as a bad job! Now I've had my week off I'm intended on some type of toning work but that's it - just to keep pace with the saggy bits! 2 stone in 10 weeks is totally doable without the gym.

thanks for all of your advice i am really gonna need u all to get through this as i have never lasted longer then 6 weeks on this plan :cry:i think il just go gym as and when i feel like it along with swimming x

I love going to the gym. I want to be slim and toned not skinny and flabby

The number on the scale isn't everything. If you are toning you will fit into smaller clothes even if you have not lost as much weight on the scales. It's all swings and roundabouts

Everybody is different and going to the gym might work for you. I have always been active, I have commuted to work by bike for the last 18 months. I just take it gradual at the gym. I do 30 mins walking at the gym varying the gradient and 30 mins swimming with a variety of strokes 3 x a week.

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

its not recommended but I think its better, as for losses, its unlikely to make them better, with a vlcd you lose as much as physically possible if you stick to it 100% drinking loads of water improves losses (but spaced out through the day is so important!)
I found the gym helped me feel motivated and really helped keep the weight off after starting to eat proper food again.

Hi tanya12, If you need to lose the weight for IVF just stick with the diet for the ten weeks your are sure to lose the 2 stone, I lost 5 stone in 6 months 2012 with this diet and that was with breaks and cheats. Go for light exercise in the meantime, everyone's different some find exercise hinders the lose, i noticed no difference in my losses when i exercised but you will lose 2 stone in 10 weeks without exercise.

Hi Tanya... I wouldn't go straight into the gym, try walks on lunch break or go around dinner
Time when everyone's eating. You'll start to feel good then if u feel u want to do more, do it. 2 stone in 10 weeks is so doable especially for such a great reason. I know wht it's like with weight And fertility, I've been going thro tests for past 2 yrs and been told to lose weight, I cant have something done because I was slightly over 30 bmi. It's heart breaking literally and even worse when food is ur comfort but you've got this far on ur journey so U can do it and were all behind u :) xxxxxxx

I often hear people talking about the gym and VLCD and whether it's worth doing them at the same time. Something a lot of people talk about is how the gym will help you look more toned, less skimpy fat etc. talking about building muscle.

When you're on a VLCD you're getting everything that you need but that's basically just to keep your body going on a normal day and be healthy. If you up your calorie burn a lot, you're actually risking doing your body damage. You're only getting around 600 calories a day, that's well under what you burn even if you stayed in bed all day. You just don't have the fuel for gym sessions too. If you do really want to go, keep it shorter and not too intense or just stick with swimming, which isn't as debating but is very good for you. Otherwise you could find yourself getting ill.

To address the whole toned/muscle issue... To look toned you need to get rid of fat and build muscle. That improves your BF%/fat to muscle ratio. The gym and particularly doing resistance/strength training is great for doing that but to build muscle you need a decent amount of protein. With the amount of protein that you're getting with these packs it's physically not possible to put on muscle.

Personally I'd do what someone else said they did. Hold off on the gym for now, it won't really help you at the moment. When you're getting close to goal, that's when I'd start going to build up your gym sessions and get yourself into those good habits for maintenance. That's the way that I personally think would be best. Good luck whatever you decide.

Back