Gym question - Don't think I'm going to join now

arcticmonkeys

Silver Member
Hi all, how's it going? Hope you're all going well and having a great weekend so far, and its not too flooded/rainy/miserable like it is here!

I've been having second thoughts of joining the gym recently. 1) I can't really be bothered. 2) Its finding time I work 40+ hours a week and I know that isn't much as appose to others, but it tires me :( lol. 3) Money!

CD is obviously like the quickest way to lose weight does the gym really help THAT much? I know I could do with exercise, but at the moment with money restraints etc joining is now at the back of the mind whereas before I couldn't wait to just get stuck in. Its making me feel guilty.

Many people who've lost all their weight on CD without going to a gym?

Lose skin worries me.

Thanks for your time xxx

Hopefully Icemousse will come along and put you straight on this. I recall a thread a while back where he explained all about exercise ~ when to do it and what is best to do.

Cant locate it at the mo elst I'd add you a link so you could have a read :)

I'm a member of a gym, but admit that I haven't been since I started SSing ~ was a bit worried about overdoing it, but I do plan on returning ~ but likely not until I reach goal. Then the plan is to exercise and tone up some of these erm 'flabby' bits :D

Thanks for your words Domino!! Much appreciated.

Don't worry about hunting for that thread I'll have a look in and see if I can find it :) cheers!

I might do exactly what you said and join when I've reached goal and get rid of the yucky bits then!

Crikey, are you still paying for the gym love?

If you read this thread before the clothes one, I wanna see your new dress! Lol, I'm right nosey xxx

I find the gym a great help with the toning up, i do 7 to 8 classes a week and it really has helped change my shape. you really need to find something you enjoy though, i hate the gym machines, they are so boring but the classes are great fun and I've made so many new friends. It also helps me leave work on time or I'd end up staying late every night and somethings have to be for you. I work 45 hrs a week but have no children so my evening are pretty much my own. Why don't you blag yourself a free pass for a week and see how you get on? if you don't enjoy it you haven't lost anything. good luck x

Wow 7 or 8 classes a week, your good. Especially working 45 hours a week, you crazy but good girl lol. I was thinking about the classes but I think I'm a bit too shy for things like that, I get a bit intimidated in situations such as that but I might give it a go. Its my birthday next week so hopefully I'll get an unexpected amount of money and be able to afford it lol.
I too don't have children or a partner and spend most evenings on myself so I guess it would be good to gym it. I did really want to I was so up for it, I don't know whats happened to me the past 2 weeks but everythings gone downhill rapidly. Oh well, hopefully the enthusiasm will come back!

You're doing really well Maz, well done xxx

I was really nervous when i first went but i just stayed at the back and tried loads of classes to see which i enjoyed. if you like jumping around and dancing aerobics and step are good, I also do Body Pump twice a week and that has really helped me tone up, my bingo wings are no longer flapping! I find if i stay at home the evening i want to eat so the gyms great as don't get in until 8.30 most evenings. Good luck with whatever you decide x

Wow, you've conquered the dreaded bingwings! Thats one of my main missions lol. I do actually love dancing aerobics and things like that. When I was younger I use to dance - lots. But stupidly quit. I've wanted to go back since I was in my teens but I don't want to return being big. Do you get classes like that do you? It does sound really fun. I have badddd co-ordination mind you!!
Are you still doing SS Maz? How does it make you feel exercising on SS if so? I am a little warey coz I'm worried I'll feel faint and weak and especially worried I'll be even more energyless at work lol. Thanks for your tips :):):) xxx

Wow, you've conquered the dreaded bingwings! Thats one of my main missions lol. I do actually love dancing aerobics and things like that. When I was younger I use to dance - lots. But stupidly quit. I've wanted to go back since I was in my teens but I don't want to return being big. Do you get classes like that do you? It does sound really fun. I have badddd co-ordination mind you!!
Are you still doing SS Maz? How does it make you feel exercising on SS if so? I am a little warey coz I'm worried I'll feel faint and weak and especially worried I'll be even more energyless at work lol. Thanks for your tips :):):) xxx
I'm still on SS and this is my 4th week. The first few days i dropped a couple of classes but still did step and body pump. Step was hard as I felt like i had no energy and was going to fall off the step but I'm now back to all the classes and feel fine. On Sunday I do an hour Aeroblast and then an hour Body Pump straight after and its fine. Generally any classes like aerobics are much dancier nowadays, I'm lucky that we have great instructors where i go and they make it fun. If its the bingo wings you want to shift you need to do Body Pump, we do loads for our arms in that class and my arms are looking like popeye's lately! No matter which club you go to bosy Pump will be the same, the instructors have to follow the programme and the routine changes every 3 months so you get used to it very quickly. Its a shame you gave up dancing especially if you enjoyed it so much. I've also met a great group of friends and twice a week after classes we stay for coffee and a chat. Have you looked at many gyms/clubs? I used to be at Fitness First but have been at Esporta for 4 years now and i prefer Esporta, everyone is there for the same reason, to exercise. I found fitness first full of 'pretty people' and i was always a bit embarrassed that i wasn't a size 10. I would view a few clubs and see where you feel more comfortable, they do give away day passes so get all you can and try them out. x

The gym makes it a bit tougher cos it makes you hungrier in my experience. But, and this is a huge but, I have been going regularly for about 8 weeks and it has given me a huge boost of energy and has made an enormous difference to the shape of my body and its tone. Also I have been doing a hell of a lot of swimming which has really boosted my confidence. All in all I think it is a really good idea to do as much exercise as you feel comfortable with. In fact my husband (weighing in at 18 stone 6, and 6 foot) has joined up today and he has just started sole sourcing. He works a standard 40 hour week and has a 6 hour commute each day, I really hope he can manage a few work outs a week.
Also I think the key to maintenance (when I get there lol) is more activity, cos that equals more food! I personally love being more active, that (apart from the clothes shoppin!) is my favourite past of this weight loss. Good luck. If all else fails they say that 30 mins of rumpy pumpy is a good work out!!!:D

Im on the 790plan and have 6 x 15 min walks each day to take kids back and forth to nursery, we walk or bike ride at weekends too. I do the Davina workout - power of 3 ... I love the boxercise one and plan on joining a class when Im closer to goal weight. I also have some little weights that I do arm exercises with .. horrid wings .. lol

I dont do anything too exhausting or too much of a strain, I dont do all the Davina work out just take it slowly and finish when I start to get a bit tired ... I dont over push it dont want to pass out or anything silly ...lol

Would love to go swimming but me and a swimming costume = I dont think so!! lol

I tried the gym before I had kids, but in all honesty I got bored after a few weeks and the novelty wore off.

I too have a gym membership but have only been a few times since starting SS and have still had good losses - I moisturise head to toe daily out of fear of loose skin and so far things are not looking too bad but I guess things could change alot between now and goal :eek:.

I just can't manage the old workout I used to do - it is too cardio-intensive for me and I just feel dizzy when I try (even when I take more packs) and I did not feel this was safe to continue trying to do!!!!

I am booked in for a session with my trainer mid-august so I am going to ask that they help design a programme for me that focuses on stretching and toning rather than cardio and weight loss and see how I go with that.

I have also seen Icemoose say before that pilates/yoga etc is really good so I think I might give that a try too.

Great tip about body pump Maz - although I think I will wait until I am on 1000plan before I even contemplate giving it a go ;).

As far as exercise is concerned you should do what you normally do..You can try yoga stretching type stuff but if you try aerobics/cardio stuff on sole source you will probably feel like scraping roadkill off the tarmac sticking it in between two pieces of bread and devouring it(I know I did)
PS
Badger isn't all it is cracked up to be..it really needs to be marinated in some nice red wine....pretentious!!!! Moi!! surely not

Alex

Back