Red Day Hairy Bikers Somerset Chicken - or pork too

Pommette

Trying - very!
Now the original Hairy Bikers recipe is LOADED with syns - cream, butter - and if you want to do it you wipe out your whole 15 syns for the day! :cry:

But I've adapted it to be more SW friendly for a red/EE day to be just
5 syns per serving plus 1 HexA and 1 HexB on Red - just the HexA on EE.
You can reduce the the cheese without detracting too much from the recipe.
I often only use 30g of full fat cheddar per person (as I find it hard to get reduced fat cheddar).

It's a lovely dinner party menu that you can serve to friends without them realising you are on any sort of diet whatsoever! Fantastic.

INGREDIENTS (FOR 6)
6 boneless chicken breasts, skin removed
Fry Light
2 onions, sliced
4 tbsp plain flour
2 tbsp grain mustard
110 g button mushrooms, sliced
250 ml chicken stock (made from syn-free cubes, powder or bouillon)
300 ml dry cider
125 ml fat free fromage frais (or quark - about 40g per person)
2 dessert apples, peeled and sliced into batons
1 tbsp finely chopped sage leaves
252 g Low Fat Cheddar cheese, grated (42 g per person as HexA)
6 baked potatoes (227 g each as HexB)

METHOD
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C (gas mark 6). Season the chicken breasts with salt and black pepper.
2. Heat a large saute pan and add some Fry Light.
3. Fry the chicken breasts in batches for 1-2 mins on each side until golden. Put them into a deep-sided oven tray and roast for 25 mins until the chicken is cooked through.
4. Add a bit more Fry Light if needed and cook the onions for 4-5 mins until softened but not coloured. Add the flour and mustard to the pan and cook for another 2 mins. Add the apples and button mushrooms and cook for 1 min. Pour in the chicken stock and bring to the boil, then pour in the cider. Bring back to the boil and cook for 5 mins. Add the sage, cook for another 5 mins, then season with salt and black pepper.
5. Remove from the heat and leave to cool for 1-2 mins and then carefully add the fromage frais a tablespoonful at a time - stirring continuously so it doesn't curdle or go lumpy.
6. Take the chicken out of the oven and pour the sauce into the dish to cover the chicken completely. Preheat the grill to high. Sprinkle the cheese over the chicken and place under the grill for 5 mins until the cheese is melted, golden and bubbling.
7. Serve with the jacket potatoes and some veg - I love sliced runner beans and carrots with it to add lots of colour.

ENJOY!

I've also done this recipe with pork fillet (tenderloin) and it is equally as good!

You could eliminate 2 syns per person by using English Mustard powder as this is free but I think it would alter the taste and I'm not sure what quantity you would need to use.

Attachments

• Somerset Chicken.jpg
    Somerset Chicken.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:
Do try it - it IS amazing.
I love the Hairy Bikers recipes and this is one of the few I've managed to adapt to make it a lot more SW friendly.

Recently discovered Quark (not been able to find it here in Spain) so going to try it this week and will report back!

Oooh - did it with quark on Thursday night and it is gobsmackingly brilliant. Much better than Fromage Frais.

Used slightly more than FF - about 40 gm per person.

Thank you for the recipe, Pommette! I made this yesterday, using quark, and it was delicious - would definitely make it again :)

Thank you for the recipe, Pommette! I made this yesterday, using quark, and it was delicious - would definitely make it again :)
Glad you enjoyed it. I'm making this for friends next week to see if they work out it's been "dietised" as the last time I did it for them it was with double cream and loads of butter!

I've now cooked this recipe loads of times and have modified it slightly.

I don't bother cooking the chicken / pork in the oven. I brown it and then just make the sauce around the chicken WITHOUT adding the flour and the apples and then just simmer the chicken for 30 minutes on a ring until it is cooked.
I then add the apples and cook for 5-10 minutes until they are warmed through but still firm.
Only then do I thicken the sauce with flour or cornflour and finally add the fromage frais or quark.
Doing it this way you can add far less flour and save a few syns.

Back