Hairy Problem :-/

takemedrunkimhome

Good Morning Everybody,

I need some information from you lovely ladies please.

I will start with some back ground.

When I was 14 I started to get a hairy face so my mum took me to the Dr after many blood tests and an appointment with a lady Dr lol I was diagnosed with PCOS. I have ALWAY ALWAYS been a big girl.

Fast forward a good few years and two children, I went to the Dr last Aug / Sep to talk about my hairy face because I am finding as I get older it is getting thinker and darker and harder to hide. So he put me on Metformin now to be honest I haven't really noticed any difference on the hair front whats so ever. Yesterday I noticed that the hair is spreading and is more on my cheeks, where up until now it was just side burns and under my chin. As I am sure you can imagine if it does spread to my cheeks like it is everywhere else on my face I am going to be in a REAL mess :cry::mad::sigh:

I have made an other appointment with my doctor for Monday morning and so what I would like to know is what else have you guys had courtesy of the NHS that I can ask for when I am in to see him.

I wish I could get laser on the NHS has anybody been lucky enough to get it?

I look forward to your replies x :D

Good luck at docs. I've got pcos but very lucky that I'm not hairy. But I'll keep am eye out on your post because symtoms can change and I may start getting hair.
Let us know how you get on.

Well that is me just in from my doctors appointment about the the hairy truth about PCOS end result is I have to up my metformin dose to three tablets a day instead of 2 and go back in a month to see what he can find in the way of new research of things we can try.

Im on 3 Metformin a day as well, I'm diabetic and have PCOS so I'm praying it helps my hairy problem although I suppose its not too bad but to me it is. Gets me down.
I wasn't able to get Laser on the NHS in NI but was told it may not even work because of the lovely hormones.

Fingers crossed for everyone xx

Ladies - make sure you're signed up to groupon. IPL for the face can cost upto 1000pounds, but I got a deal on there that got me my full face for 99pounds. It's still not cheap but still. There are also IPL machines (I'm saving up for one) that are about 200-300 pounds and help remove the hair (in conjunction with our meds).

Ladies - make sure you're signed up to groupon. IPL for the face can cost upto 1000pounds, but I got a deal on there that got me my full face for 99pounds. It's still not cheap but still. There are also IPL machines (I'm saving up for one) that are about 200-300 pounds and help remove the hair (in conjunction with our meds).

I have just seen the £99 deal in Manchester I will be in Manchester in July.

Have you gone for your appointments yet??

Hey every1 I'm from Scotland n hv been gettin laser treatment for my hair on my chin... I hv pcos aswell... I think it's well worth the money I spend 25£ on each treatment ( from 1side of my ear to the otherside) this is in Glasgow... If anyone from Scotland wnts to mnw whr to get it done jus send me a mssg :) cxx

i have had a hairy face from about age 16. got diagnosed at 17 but doctor wouldnt do anything for me. Nearlly 10 years later after struggeling for so long, shaving twice a day, missing out of holidays because i was scared someone would find out....i decided to pay for laser...and i havent looked back. i have 2 more treatments left. it is £89 per session for me and i have had about 8 sessions, but id pay double for the freedom it has given me, I have even been camping and only have to shave a small patch on my chin every 4-5 days. x

I think for me this is the worst symptom of PCOS. I can cope with the hairy arms and boobs :eek: but the face is just :cry:. I have to shave my neck every two days and now just use one of those small electric shavers to do my upper lip and stray chin ones. Having been on Metformin for a couple of years, can't say its made any difference.

Hey every1 I'm from Scotland n hv been gettin laser treatment for my hair on my chin... I hv pcos aswell... I think it's well worth the money I spend 25£ on each treatment ( from 1side of my ear to the otherside) this is in Glasgow... If anyone from Scotland wnts to mnw whr to get it done jus send me a mssg :) cxx
hi, did you go to your doc? i got mine on nhs, live in coatbridge x

How many treatments will it take to get it all away? £25 per session sounds reasonable actually.

Would prefer free though I will keep pestering my doc lol

I have just seen the £99 deal in Manchester I will be in Manchester in July.

Have you gone for your appointments yet??

Hi, I went for the appointment but I was very unimpressed by the consultation, plus, the form of laser that they used meant the hair would not fall out after the treatments, and all I can do is shave until it stopped regrowing, which really isn't what I was after for 100pounds! Plus, they told me it would be at least 6 sessions (which is what I'd paid for) and if I wanted another 6 to be sure to be rid of the hair, I needed to pay upfront to get the groupon price, otherwise it would be full price! (around 500 quid)! I was under the impression, that like some form of laser, the actual laser treatment would make the hair fall out (although I knew I could only shave or immac between treatments because you shouldn't remove from the root). So I got a refund and am buying an IPL machine from Boots that I can use on my face as well as other areas for about 200pounds.

Hi all

Just thought i would add my two pennies worth

I have always had a hairy neck and chin, I stupidly shaved it as a teeneager and now i have finally stopped.

My sister is the same she got the laser, and initially it seemed to work very well but unfortunately it didnt last and he is now back to what she was like originally.

I on the other hand started with waxing it, with electrolysis in between. MASSIVE difference. going from being almost a full beard :( to very little. I have researched and electrolysis is apparently the ONLY thing which is proven to be permanent, and is what male to female trans genders prefer.

In addition i use a cream every morning and night called Vaniqua, which I was skeptical about, but I swear by it.

You have to use it everyday though in order for it to work. Initially I wasnt sure it was working but after using up the tube I didn't get another one for a few weeks and I have to say I NOTICED a big difference, so it does really work.

Anyway hope any of this helps you! I understand how annoying and depressing it can be, but honestly I am hoping to be rid of it very soon, and my beautician says she thinks it wont be that long until it is almost all gone! YAY

Hi
Ask your doctor for a cream called vaniqua you have to use it twice a day and will take a few months but I noticed a difference, you have to use it continuously though. Luckily after assessment they gave it me on the nhs but they may get it for you but charge privately....... Could be up to £60 a tube. I'm only 25 and have it on my face, boobs, tummy! I know it's horrible..... I've just started taking metformin too
Xx

Hi!
I've suffered with PCOS and incredible hairiness for almost 13 years now. I have to shave my neck once a day as i unfortunately inherited my father's wire like hair and it is dark and noticeable.

I have had laser treatment in the past. Using "YAG" lasers. These treatments can only be administered by certified nurses etc so if you go for hair removal at a beauty clinic you will not get the same results.

The home machines are a load of crap. My friend (who does my treatment) runs a clinic and she says that the home ones would take YEARS to even do a small dent in the hair growth. They just aren't strong enough to kill the hair follicle.

Whilst my hair growth hasn't stopped... it isn't necessarily going to with having PCOS... it has become considerably thinner and i can happily (well i say happily LOL) shave in a morning and not worry that it will be something everyone notices all day.

I've found the larger i get weight wise, the worse my hair growth so it really is best to try to keep your weight down if you suffer with hirsutism.

But seriously, do not waste your time and money on home laser removal machines... it will not make a jot of difference. The hair doesn't just "fall out" because it kills the follicle, a home removal machine will not give you better results than a yag laser, i'm sorry but it won't.

There is NO permanent fix for the hair. We have hormone problems, we produce too much testosterone so yep we get the awful hair side effects. All you can do is try and ease the symptoms. I'm still working on it after 13 years.

i have a tube of vaniqua at home, my doc gave me it, told me it was £60 like it would make any difference to me (in scotland we used to just pay whatever the cost of the prescription was -now free), i'd completely object to paying the private price. do junkies have to pay the private price for methadone??? dont think so!
anyway, i have a tube of vaniqua, its probably out of date, however, if anyone wants it, i will happily post it to them xx

just b careful girls most ipls don t really do a great job on hair removal,really needs 2 b an alexandrite laser 2 get good results,i know in N ireland u r entitled 2 10 sessions of laser on the NHS but most ppl with pcos will need maintence due 2 hormones making them grow again but 4 most ppl it is very much reduced .Maintence is not available anymore on the NHS.

i think it was the alexandrite one that was used on me. the smell of burning hair follicles still haunts me!!

Can i just say I love this thread! I am sorry to say that I am lovingly that i am not alone with the facial hair problem, it has haunted me for years-and I am sure we all feel alone with it.
I always shaved, and like many here was having to do it twice a day, on my chin and neck. The prob being this obviously makes it worse. Anyway, thanks to everyone being so brave an finally talking about it xxxx

Back