Half marathon training

Thanks girls.
I'm indulging in one glass of red whilst in bed, then it'll be lights out ready for an early start!

Will let you all know how I get on :) x

Hey!

I am new to the forum, but love running. My weight fluctuates quite a lot and think that a simple sport such as running and getting back into the habit of it, might get me well on the way to a better me.

Is it possible to join the challenge of running a half marathon somewhere in the future or is this thread dying out? What is the normal pace to work up to a half marathon. At the moment I'm running (in intervals) 3K to 20minutes at the gym and feeling quite nackered after. Do you have any suggestions how to build up stamina or how long it would take to get into a half marathon condition?

x

Welcome gem123 :)

Todays 10k was FAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wanted to run it in 1hr10 but I ran it in ................... 1:04:58!!!

I am ecstatic!! Not only did I smash the time I wanted to do it in I bagged myself 2 new PB's! 5k 30:51 and 10k 1:04:58! :D

Now off to celebrate ;)

Well done summergurl, great achievements! Enjoy the celebrations! Xx
Welcome, gem, this thread isn't dying out, we've only just begun. Join us! How long have you been running for?
Today i'm taking it easy and resting. Did a long run yesterday and then went out last night. My body needs to recover i think, if not from the run then from the curry and half bottle of wine.

Fantastic Summer, that's brilliant!!

Welcome Gem, yes this has only started recently, so you can progress with us :)

Well I did a 5k and was intending to go further, but the dog got a thorn in his foot, so had to stop. I went home and did 60 mins on the bike to make up for it. Planning a lovely Sunday roast, so needed to burn lots of cals :)

Hey everyone, how are we all doing?

I've kept my training with sprints and hills going during the week and my plan is to do a long run this weekend (19km) and next (20km) and then drop right back with my training. After next weekend, I intend to do no more long runs for a while. I reckon 20km is a half marathon distance so I'll hopefully know that I'm capable of this if I ever decide to enter a race. I would just need to pick my training back up again.

I want to do some more weight training, which I have just started. So I need to liberate some time for that! I reckon I'll probably continue to do 2 or 3 30 minute runs a week just to keep my foot in, mixing things up with speeds, hills and so on.

Hi biggysmalls, you're doing really well, well done. I'm just picking my training up after a couple of weeks of only one short run a week. Attempting 6 miles on Sunday!!

6 miles sounds great, Coach. Good luck!
Although I am planning to cut back, I have really enjoyed my running. I only took it up in April, which is hard to believe! My achievements/progress in running have, in turn, led me to consider other types of sports. As I have said before, since taking up running and giving up smoking (one year ago next week), I feel like anything is possible!
That's a great feeling ;)
Running has also really helped me get out and appreciate nature, and to de-stress. I hope other exercises will bring similar benefits.

Thats great that running has had such a good effect on you and well done on the not smoking, that's great!

I love running but every couple of weeks I struggle to go out for a couple of weeks. Its a bit odd really!!

Fantastic Biggy, that is a huge achievement, well done you!!

Coach - good luck with your 6 miles

I am aiming for 10k this w/e. my schedule seems to be limited to two 5k runs in the week and a longer run at the w/e. Hope this will be enough to get me ready for Silverstone. My 5k's are before work, so have to be up at 04.30, this is the only way I can fit them in though.

Thanks Shazzabir, good luck with your 6 miles too!! Will that be the first time you have hit that distance?

Blimey to getting up at 0430! One assumes you can't go at lunch time? Do you work late?

4-30. Now that's determination! Well Done, Shazzabir

Running 3times a week will be fine for a half marathon!

Just wait till Xmas is over & the races will soon be upon us!! ? x

Hi guys can I join you please?? :)

Running history: I took up running last year (well it will be nearly 2 years ago soon!) and took part in 2 10k races. I wasn't very fast at all (1hr11 for the first and then 1hr8). I stopped running after that (around a year ago).

As part of trying to lose weight I decided to exercise. I'd been a member of a gym for months on end and found it a very expensive card to decorate my purse. So, I dusted off my trainers and went. Decided to follow the c25k programme. That was 3 weeks ago. I decided to start on week 3, so I have just completed week 5. Though instead of 3 sessions a week I am doing 4.

I then received an e-mail around 4 days ago with information about the Llanelli half marathon. I did one of my 10k's there and it's a lovely place to run, pretty flat and gorgeous views. I laughed when I first saw it and thought - NO WAY!!!! But, I then saw the date. It is on the 4th March, which is the day before my fiance's 30th birthday. My fiance is a runner (14ish marathons under his belt) and always does the Llanelli half. So, I looked at how much time I had (16 weeks) did a bit of research on google to see if it is doable, and apparently it is.

So, this morning I typed up a training plan. I'm going to keep following the c25k programme and then from that use the b210k. As well as that I'm going to do one run a week where I'm going to increase the pace every week (possibly include intervals). That will all be in the gym. To finish the week off I will do one run a week outside where I will increase the mileage every week (starting at 2 next Saturday). I will do this run with my fiance who has said he will run the half marathon with me (at a snail's pace) though I want a sub 2:30 half!!!

Well, that's me!! I've read through all your posts and you're all doing so well. For running in winter I'd recommend gloves and a hat (proper running ones) and maybe investing in a long sleeved running top and long running trousers. It is possible to wear a vest under the top so when you get hot you can take the top off and tie it around your waist?

xx

Welcome aboard Rachel :)
Love the motivation you have, look forward to hearing you get on.

I am finally back up to a 10k, did it yesterday in 57 mins. No pain in sight, so very relieved!!
Will increase to 11k at the w/e :)

Shaz that 10k time is amazing, well done :)

And Rachel, welcome! Great motivation to get a half under your belt & with your fella at your side for encouragement you can get that sub 2:30 easy :)

Thank you guys. Been to the gym this morning and completed w6d1 of c25k. I started running at 8 km/h, upped this to 8.5km/h last week and did the last couple of minutes of today's run at 9 km/h today. :) got a long way to go until I can run 13.2 miles (managed 3.7 km today) but I'll get there!! xx

rachel1984 said:
Thank you guys. Been to the gym this morning and completed w6d1 of c25k. I started running at 8 km/h, upped this to 8.5km/h last week and did the last couple of minutes of today's run at 9 km/h today. :) got a long way to go until I can run 13.2 miles (managed 3.7 km today) but I'll get there!! xx

Well done-that's exactly what I'm doing, and my half is on march 11th x

http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world-weight-loss-diary/187905-jos-journey-infinity-beyond.html

Back